Ever since Alanis Morissette released her song "Ironic," people have started buzzing about the true
meaning of certain literary terms and whether or not they are truly being used properly in context.Irony confuses, and like the two p's and satire, which will be addressed momentarily, it depends somewhat on the intention of the writer or speaker.
Irony requires an opposing meaning between what's said and what's intended. Stop. Think about that for a long moment. Even the definition is somewhat head-scratching, so if you often find yourself confused by irony, you're in excellent company. One of the confounding factors of irony isn't just that its definition is a bit, well, complex, but also the sheer number of possibilities for correct usage. It's bad enough that irony is hard to grasp but now add to that fact that there are, in fact, a multitude of definitions for different forms of irony, including verbal, dramatic, and cosmic. The sheer plethora of ways ironic can be used meaningfully suggests that is something of a "catch-all" for a situation that seems odd, upsetting or amusing. Enter Ms. Morissette...
If it rains on your wedding day, that may be seen as a coincidence, but not irony. However, if you moved your wedding to an indoor venue because the forecast predicted rain, but the day turned out to be sunny, and then the sprinkler system at your venue malfunctioned and doused the ceremony with water, so you all get wet, after all, THAT'S ironic. If you win the lottery and drop dead before claiming the money, that is simply good luck followed by bad luck. If you meet the man of your dreams and then meet his beautiful wife, that's just a bummer. But if, then, a song called "Ironic" contains no irony, is that in and of itself ironic? Nope...not really. It may just be an example of ignorance. It depends on the creator's intent. So if Alanis purposely wrote a song about irony with no ironic content at all, is THAT ironic? We are getting closer...
Here are six ways to look at Irony. The first three are the ones we study and must understand clearly:
1. VERBAL IRONY: when a speaker or writer is intentionally using words that literally convey the opposite of their true beliefs, generally for the purpose of "cosmic" emphasis (sarcasm). In fact, there is a strong overlap between sarcasm and comic irony. Example: Saying "Oh, that's just fantastic," when the situation is really poor. OR Dimmesdale's sermons about how sinful he is, and how he deserves disgust resulting in the congregation loving him and following him even more.
2. SITUATIONAL IRONY: A sharp divergence between expectations or perceptions and reality. Expectations, of course, often differ from results, but to rise to the state of irony, the gulf between them should be vast and the contrast sharp. (See the wedding example above with Ms. Morissette's song breakdown).
3. DRAMATIC IRONY: Perhaps the easiest to understand as its use is so specialized. The device in which the reader or audience is tipped off to a crucial fact still unknown to one or more of the characters. Example: The audience and friar know that Juliet isn't really dead, but Romeo doesn't.
*4. COSMIC IRONY: Not very often used. It denotes the idea that the fates are against us, if not indifferent to us, and that our struggles are the result of higher forces amusing themselves at our expense. Example: The owner declared of the Titanic, "God, Himself, cannot sink this ship." Well, you can infer the rest.
*5. HISTORICAL IRONY: Some things become ironic with time. If the passage of years creates an amusing juxtaposition between a historical event or claim and what has happened since to contradict it. Example: Isn't it ironic that the inventor of the machine gun thought his new weapon would end all war?" Answer: YES! It is, in fact, historically ironic. :)
*6. SOCRATIC IRONY: The pretense of ignorance used to draw an opponent into slipping up or revealing flaws in their argument. Example: She used socratic questioning in order to enable him to realize the holes in his emphatic argument.
How's that for confusing? If that isn't enough, irony is only one way to bring in humor or thought-provoking elements in literature. There are also parody, pastiche, and satire....Buckle up, here we go!
PARODY: An imitative work created to mock, comment on or trivialize an original work, its subject author, style or some other target, by means of imitation. Example: The movie "Airplane" is a parody of 1970's disaster movies. Example #2: Most everything created by Weird Al Yankovic.
PASTICHE: A work of visual art, literature, or music that imitates the style or character of the work of one or more other artists. Unlike parody, the intention of pastiche is to celebrate rather than mock. Example: Many modern artists seek to produce works of impressionism in homage to Renoir and Monet, who are very much beloved.
SATIRE: A genre of literature and art in which the vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, corporations or society, itself, into improvement. Although funny, its intention is to shame or offer constructive social criticism. Examples: The Daily Show, most political cartoons
Just for fun, the definition of cynicism, or cynical, is an inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest. It is a form of skepticism that often leads to the production of satire.
There you have it! Here's to understanding the various ways authors, speakers, poets and artists humor us, pay homage to us, and humiliate us in all sorts of creative and confounding ways!
I have attached the Morissette song for you to evaluate, armed with your new knowledge of irony. I have also attached two very funny little videos for your enjoyment from parody artist and comedian, Tim Hawkins. Reply with the following:
1. Did you find any examples of true irony in the Morissette song? Give me an example of irony in something you have heard or read. What type of irony is it? Why?
2. What are each of the funny little videos an example of and why?
3. Which of the previous definitions confused you the most? What literary device do you find most confusing?
Alanis Morissette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc
Tim Hawkins Video #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5R8gSgedh4
Tim Hawkins Video #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh6f5Go0






1. Other than the potential irony of the intent of the song, this song is not ironic at all. It is merely just a list of unfortunate events happening at unfortunate times. An instance in which I saw irony and recognized it, although it may be embarrassing to admit to, was when I watched Miraculous: Tales of Lady Bug and Cat Noir. The entire entertaining part of the show is the dramatic irony of a super hero that is in love with a boy who is a super hero that is in love the other hero, yet neither of them know the others' identities, but we do.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is an example of parody. It is making fun of KIDZ BOP by using the same concept but applying it in the opposite manner. The second video is an example is satire. It is ridiculing another group through humorous presentation.
3. The most confusing one is situational irony because of the specific parameters for what really counts. Irony is probably the literary device I find the most confusing and never notice.
1. the first line, "an old man turned 98, he won the lottery and died the next day." is the prefect example of irony, specifically situational irony because even though we know his age, the man had lived longer than the expected life span and then won the lottery, as a listener you hoped that he would be able to enjoy some of the new found wealth that he gained, but no, he died before he could really enjoy it. A piece of Irony that I saw in the media I consume, is Dramatic Irony, I see it a lot on the anime I have recently been watching (One Piece and Jujutsu Kaisen) since in both it shows us, the viewer what is happening on the protagonists' side, the antagonists' side and any other related factions, which allow for the view to know exactly what is going on and worry for our heroes.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is a parody of Kidz Bop, since it's "adult" music, performed and made for kids, but Kid's Rock is "kid's" music performed and made for adults. The second video is satire because the video is comedic social criticism of the government.
3. Pastiche is probably the most confusing because it can be difficult to recognize at least to me. Out of all the literary devices, Paradox is the most difficult and confusing for me, I never notice it in any of the media I consume
Not sure I agree that the 98 year old lottery winner is irony - I think it is more of a "isn't that just the way" kind of thing. It's unfortunate, like most of her examples, but definitely not unforeseeable or unexpected.
DeleteYes, dramatic irony is everywhere in movies and literature. It is a great tool to make the audience feel in the know. I agree about paradox! It hurts my brain. :)
1. The obvious true irony of this son is that many bad things happen at times that are supposed to be joyous. Prince Eric from the little mermaid was saved from his ship being destroyed, she fell in love with him very fast and he heard her singing and knew of her by that "beautiful voice". When Ariel wants to see him again she goes to Ursula to get legs but intern trades her voice thus causing Eric not to recognize her.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is a parody of all the adult songs "kidifyed" for the popular parody writers Kidz Bop. The second video is an example of a sort of satire making fun of different groups and their songs.
3. I really find polysyndeton a confusing literary device we haven't covered it but I have seen it in places that describe literary devices.
1. There is no irony in the song besides possibly the irony of the intention of the song. An example of irony I have come across is someone saying "Wow, I didn't know that" in a sarcastic tone when they knew that piece of information. It is verbal irony because someone says it.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is a parody of adult songs so it's "appropriate" for kids, it's also mocking Kidz Bop by how they are making it appropriate for kids. The second video is a satire that is making fun of the government.
3. Of the previous definitions, pastiche is probably the most confusing because I'm not sure if I've seen it enough to be able to identify it.
Jade - YES! How ironic is it that a song about irony has no examples of it. :)
Delete1. I found most of the scenarios in the song to just be examples of some really bad luck, I only found one to be more than luck and be irony in my opinion. The phrase, “A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break” is ironic because it is not bad luck of smoking where there is a no-smoking sign, but the person has a break specifically for smoking by their company, but then when they get outside the company has a no-smoking sign. I find this more than bad luck and quite ironic. I believe that this is situational irony. I think this because situational irony is when something is expected, but then reality is different than what the result is. In this example, the person wanting to smoke, but then being caught off guard because the reality is different than what they thought, there is a no-smoking sign to stop them.
ReplyDelete2. The first video had examples of music parodies. The original songs were remade with childrens songs but had the same rock tunes. I find the second video to be an example of satire. This is because the singer is sharing concepts about the government that are crazy and absurd although the government makes it all seem like it is okay. It is definitely a video that shames and ridicules the government, as they call it “a failure.”
3. The Socratic irony confuses me the most. I think this is because I do not see this very often in the literature that I read. But I think after studying it for a while, I have a better understanding of it, it is a sneaky way, so to speak, to get someone’s argument to be invalid through them realizing the flaws of what they are saying by not directly calling them out, but asking them about what they have said.
1. I did not find any examples of true irony in the song, most of the examples were just unlucky things or bad decisions. An example of irony that I can remember noticing is in the book "Renegades" the main character is a villain named Nova whose super power is to put people to sleep; however, she has had insomia for years and never sleeps. This is situational irony as it doesn't make sense that Nova can't sleep as she can literally make others sleep.
ReplyDelete2. The first video has examples of parodies of famous adult songs, and the brand Kids Bop, as they have been rewritten with the same tune and a different story. The second video is an example of satire as it is pointing out the problems of the government in its lyrics.
3. Socratic irony was the most confusing definition for me and the literary device I find most confusing is allusion because I often do not know what is being refferenced.
1. Despite the people in the song having a lot of bad luck, only one line seems to have true irony in it, which is when the man on the plane that crashed thought "well isn't this nice?" This is situational irony because his situation is obviously not nice, yet he gives a sarcastic response to it. I’ve seen dramatic irony in Avengers: Endgame, when Natasha and Clint went off to collect one of the infinity stones, the soul stone. We as the audience have witnessed previously that one of them is going to have to sacrifice their life in order to get the stone, but they aren’t aware of that yet and think it’s going to be a quick job without sacrifice.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is a parody of Kidz Bop, where instead of having adult songs transformed for kids and sung by kids, kid songs are being transformed for adults and sung by adult artists. The second video is satire because it ridicules the government through song.
3. Antithesis is a literary device that I haven’t figured out how to use because it seems broad and if I saw it in a text, I probably couldn’t recognize it easily.
1. The sentence“It’s a free ride when you’ve already paid” is ironic. How can you have a free ride if you paid for the ride? It is an example of situational irony, you can't expect a free ride, and then it's a coincidence when it is a free ride, yet you have paid for it (or perhaps just saved the cash for the ride when you could have spent it on something else).
ReplyDelete2. The first video is a parody of a Kidz Bop episode. Kidz Bop is a show that transforms adult songs into fun, appropriate versions specifically for kids, in this case its the other way around! The second video is a satirical video as it mocks the government.
3.I find situational irony to be one of the most confusing versions of irony. Though it is my favorite, it's a little harder to define
1. There is no irony in the song besides the fact that the title is ironic in the sense that the song is not about irony. The song otherwise is about a series of unfortunate events befalling the women. I have found dramatic irony in The Lord of the Rings as Gollum swore on the ring to destroy the ring. This is ironic because he is swearing on his precious to destroy his precious.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is making fun of kidz bop and the second video is satire as it is making fun of the government.
3. The hardest is situational irony just because of how rarely it is seen and the fact it is dificult to label it as that.
1.
ReplyDeleteA depthless listen to this song would most likely fail to bring attention to the fact that most of the lyrical stories told in Analis Morrissette’s song, “Ironic,” are deceptive. If irony requires an opposing meaning between what is said and what is intended, she has succeeded. The song is legitimately ironic when considering her objective was to sing about situations deficient in true irony and hide them behind the title and performance that raised the expectation that the content would be ironic.
Escape (The Piña Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes is an example of situational irony. In the song, he tells the story of falling into a boring routine with his “lady,” whom he wished to cheat on with a woman from a newspaper ad. After exchanging letters in the paper about them both being fond of drinking piña colada’s, getting caught in the rain, etc., they meet up. As it turns out, the woman from the ad he hoped to have an affair with was his very own “lady.” This contrast of expectation versus reality is vast enough to qualify as situational irony.
2.
The first video can almost be an example of both parody and pastiche. Kidz Bop is mocked by inverting their brand of adult songs for kids to kids songs for adults, making it a parody. However, I think pastiche is also used here in its literal definition to paste together elements of different genres. Since Kidz Bop is commercial music made kid-friendly and Kids’ Rock is kid music made commercially more tolerable, the reversed roles of genre and demographic are examples of pastiche. Maybe???
The second video is satirical as it ridicules the shortcomings of the government through a comedic presentation.
3.
Situational irony is still the literary device I find the most confusing. The criterion of what qualifies as situational irony and what does not restricts my understanding as I am unsure how to identify it outside of literature.
I can relate as I am very good at identifying all these things in works of literature, but rubbish at identifying them in actual life situations. I can see them if someone else points them out to me, but....alas...
DeleteMaybe I am just not looking? :)
1. I definitely think that this video is ironically unironic. The intent of the video was to create a foundation of good examples for Irony, yet this was missed by a mile. If it was taken figuratively, you could pick out that phrases similar to "not taking advice and failing because of it" could be dramatic irony to the one giving the advice because the one recieving it should have taken it, but didnt and it reflected negatively. Also, the first line is obviously irony because a man died right after winning the most lucky and wanted thing by people. He became unlucky by dying and losing it.
ReplyDelete2. Of the second and third, the first is a parody because it was reflecting on kids bop whereas the name was kids' rock. This can be seen as the rock version of the original songs, which would explain the apostraphy after the S, opposing to between d&s. the second is satire because it was mocking the government and putting it down
3. I definitely think satire and socratic irony confuse me the most. I dont know why, but I just cant wrap my head around satire, even being sold and explained to several times. I have never learned socratic irony so it would take practice in order to get comfortable with it..
1- In Alanis Morissette's song, they only true irony present is the complete lack thereof. The title of the song is "Ironic" yet most of the lyrics pertain to a series of unfortunate events that occur. However, it could also be argued that the true irony of the song is the melody and the lyrics together. Having a happy joyous melody combined with lyrics that speak of misfortune create an ironic combination. A classic example of situational irony is in the Shakespearean play, Romeo and Juliet.There is many times throughout the play where Shakespeare sets up situational irony by informing the audience on more information than the characters. For example, the audience is aware that Juliet was not actually dead near the end of the play but Romeo did not, ultimately leading to the tragic downfall. This is an example of situational irony because the expected ending is that Romeo realizes that she was not dead, like the audience does, yet the ending is a complete different outcome.
ReplyDelete2- The first video is a parody due to it's mocking tone towards the popular corporation, Kidz Bop. The second video is satirical cause it offers societal criticism and ridicules the government.
3-I find Socratic irony most confusing. I believe I would be able to pinpoint the use of it in conversation but using the definition alone, I do not think I could use it in my own conversations or writing.
1.While analyzing Alanis Morissette’s song, the only irony embedded throughout it the title of the song. The lines of the song are not ironic, but the fact that the title proves Alanis’s underlying theme of irony. An example of irony that I have personally seen in the Hunger Games book and movie franchise. The peacekeepers, or police force of the districts, show situational irony as they are the opposite of peace. Instead of keeping the peace, as their name infers, they cause division and chaos. This shows irony as they are acting opposite of what their name infers.
ReplyDelete2.The first video is an example of parody as they were making fun of Kidz Bop by creating a concept similar to it. The “adult musicians” are covering children’s songs, which shows the parody to Kidz Bop. The second video is satire as it is making fun of every aspect of the government.
3.The hardest aspect of irony for me to comprehend is satire, as it is hard for me to locate it in the literature that I am reading.
1.There is one example of Irony in the song! When a man who “plays it safe” and is cautious takes a plane ride where the plane then crashes. On the way down the man thinks “well isn’t this nice…”. This is an example of verbal irony. The speaker states something that means quite the opposite of his actual feelings. A man who is scared to death of death itself and plays it safe would not enjoy a plane crash.
ReplyDelete2. The first video displays a clear parody of the company “Kidz Bop” that takes modern songs and makes more kid friendly versions of them. This is done through using “Kidz Rock” which has the same concept but in reverse, taking kids songs and making them into adult songs. Making a mockery of how terrible and outrageous Kidz Bop is. The creator also does a parody mocking television advertisements and the messages usually found at the end of them that include special rewards for purchasing in the moment. The second video is satire. A direct shaming of the U.S. Government. Pointing out it’s flaws and unfair nature through song.
3. I think the most confusing part of Irony is Cosmic irony, I’m sure it would make sense if I knew more examples of it but as of now its still not all that understandable for me. For the longest time irony has been the most difficult literary device for me to understand, now asyndeton is the one troubling me. It’s not used all that often, or I am just really bad at point it out, but I can never grasp it.
Yes! "Isn't this nice" is verbal irony. :) Well done!
DeleteThe good news about cosmic irony, is we really don't apply it so much. We stick to dramatic, verbal and situational. That's enough irony for one life. :)
1. Within the song there is little to no examples of irony. However I have seen plenty of dramatic Irony within Miraculous: The Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir, as the two main characters, Marinette and Adrien, are in a love square with their own superhero alter egos. Marinette is in love with Adrien. Adrien is in love with Ladybug, both as himself and as Cat Noir. Marinette is Ladybug, but doesn't love Cat Noir.
ReplyDelete2. The first video was had examples of parody of old children's songs and the group Kidz Bop, as it took kids songs and "made it for adults" the same way Kidz Bop does with adult songs and reproducing them for kids. The second video was a clear with it's satire, as it uses a catchy and funny song to mock and point out flaws in the American government system.
3. The most confusing irony for me is situational irony. As it takes a specific situation to be able to use the irony correctly.
1.)I am unable to see any irony in this music video, which is ironic since the title is called ironic, but perhaps that is the purpose of it. An example of irony that I have heard of is such as in horror movies where the victim is running away and doesn’t know where the ‘chaser’ is, but we the audience know very well that he is hiding under the bed of the victim. This type of irony is dramatic irony as we the audience know what is occurring, or we know what will happen but the characters within the story are clueless.
ReplyDelete2.)The first video Kid’s Rock is a parody of Kidz Bop as they make adult songs more friendly and Tim Hawkins is doing it in the same method, but in a more comedic manner which makes it humorous. The second video is satirical as it is making fun of political figures and the government about what they can do and how they do it.
3.)Cosmic irony seemed the most confusing for me, but mostly due to how I don’t see it used frequently or perhaps I don’t notice it enough especially since I don’t hear people talking about fates being against us everyday. The hardest literary device for me would be symbolism, not because it is difficult to understand what it means, but because it is hard to find what something is referring towards or what a symbol means.
You are right - cosmic irony is more used and common in myths than in fiction as a general rule. We don't pay much mind to it. :) Dramatic, Situational, and Verbal is enough, I think!
Delete1. There is one true example of irony in the song. This is seen when Ms. Morissette sings about the man who is in a crashing plane and says, "well isn't this nice." This is an example of verbal irony. Besides this though, the only irony is the fact that the song is titled "Ironic" when really there is very little irony in the song. An example of irony that I have read is when a character has been taken by the antagonist without the knowledge of the characters friends. While the character's are happy to have won the battle and rejoin the main character, the main character is in major trouble. This is dramatic irony because the reader knows that the main character is not alright, but all of the other characters who were in the battle think that everything is fine.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is a parody of Kidz Bop, which makes song sung by adults more kid-friendly. In this video the songs for kids are being sing by adults, making them more adult-friendly. The second video is an example of satire, in which the government's, problems, mistakes, and shortcomings are shamed.
3. Cosmic irony confused me the most, I think because it does not have very set guidelines (not sure if that is the correct word). I think if there were more examples of it, then I might be able to better understand what it is. I still find irony to be the most confusing literary device, though I think this has to do with my having believed something was ironic when really I just didn't know the true definition. I think it will take some time to change what I used to believe was irony with what I know now.
1. I could find no definitive true examples of irony in the listed song. And considering the song is titled ironic you would think that in and of itself being called ironic while having no irony in the lyrics would make the song title ironic it most likely was not purposeful and thus isn’t ironic either. An example of irony that I have encountered is in horror movies when we know where the villain is, and the main character, the protagonist, has no idea and runs exactly where they are.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is an example of irony because it is a parody of Kidz Bop because rather than making adult music for children it makes children music suitable for adults. And the second video is satirical as it is using humor to make fun of but also address a serious issue
3. Cosmic irony is the most confusing personally most likely just because it is not seen as often and so we don’t have as many examples that come immediately to mind. Irony in general as a literary device can sometimes be confusing especially when sarcasm is involved as well it can be difficult to differentiate.
1. There weren't really any examples of true irony but mainly just aspects of coincidence and bad luck like said in the beginning of the blog. An example of irony that I remember is in The lion king when Mufasa is killed Simba is led to believe that it is his fault but the audience knows that it wasn’t his fault and it was really Scar.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is an example of Parody because it is mocking or imitating Kidz Bop but instead of kids making parodies of songs actual bands are singing kids songs “Kid’s Rock”. The second video is an example of Satire because Tim is shaming or ridiculing the government in a funny positive way through a song, in this case a cover of The candyman can from Willy Wokna and the Chocolate Factory.
3. One of the definitions that confused me the most was Socratic Irony probably because it is something am less familiar with and the concept of using the pretense of ignorance to get someone to realize their flaws at first didnt stick with me.
1) In the song "Ironic" by Alanis Morissette, I was only able to identify one instance of true irony, and that was the verbal irony of a man saying "Well isn't this nice?" as his plane was crashing. This line obviously conveyed the exact opposite of what he would have been feeling in that moment and had a sarcastic tone during such a traumatic experience. The other lines were more so circumstances of coincidence, bad-luck, or bad decision-making. An example of irony that we have been talking a lot about recently is the irony of Elizabeth's character in Pride and Prejudice. Elizabeth believes that she is great at reading other people's characters and often criticizes for it, when the audience knows that Elizabeth is indeed blinded by her own prejudices and is reading mostly everything incorrectly. This is dramatic irony because we know something that the character doesn't and can clearly see the consequences, while the character cannot and continues to walk down the path we know they shouldn't.
ReplyDelete2) The first video by Tim Hawkins is a parody. It imitates the original work of Kids Bop with a new spin called Kids Rock. Rather than recreating adult songs for kids, his comedic sketch recreates kids songs for adults. The concept is the same and it adds humor that adults and parents would enjoy.
I believe that the second video by Tim Hawkins could be classified as both a parody and satire. In nature, it could be considered a parody because it is an imitation of the song "The Candy Man Can." The content of the song is satirical because it ridicules the shortcomings and flaws of the government in a humorous way.
3) Situational irony confuses me because of how open-ended it is. The criteria seems to be pretty broad as expectations have to differ from results "vastly and sharply," however it is hard to distinguish whether this is because of bad luck, bad decision-making, or true irony in the situation. Overall, I do think that irony is the most confusing literary device for me to wrap my mind around. There are so many forms and ways that it can be used. Sometimes it goes right over my head if I'm just looking at the surface-level of a text.
Excellent analysis of the examples. Yes, situational irony can be confusing, because it can depend on the perspective of the viewer. Cosmic irony is the one that confounds me. I can really only see it in Greek myths. :)
Delete1. The whole auditory element of the song had very little to do with actual irony. The only true example I found was situational irony in the actual video for the song which in itself could be irony because you would expect the song to be about irony when really the video is ironic. In the beginning, she leaves a gas station so one could assume she got gas but at the end of the song she looks at her gauges and pulls over and one can infer that she has run out of gas which makes it situational irony.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is a parody because it mocks the concept of Kidz Bop by using children’s songs for adults where Kidz Bop is the reverse. The second is satire because it points out the problems with the government.
3. I think Socratic confuses me mainly due to the definition presented. I wouldn’t necessarily see the definition as a type of irony, I see it more as wit and strategy.
1. I honestly didn't hear any irony in the song, it mostly just sounded like the description of a lot of bad occasions and unfortunate situations. An example of irony I've seen in my personal life is in the movie, The Sixth Sense. This uses situational irony because the psychologist helping the boy understand that he can see ghosts and how to deal with it is actually one of the ghosts only he can see. The realization that he is the very thing that he was supposed to be teaching the boy about is the situational irony.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is an example of a parody because it's the opposite of something that actually exists which is Kids Bop. Kids Bop turns songs into more appropriate versions for younger audiences, while Kids Rock is turning kids songs into appropriate versions for older audiences. It's the same idea but used in a different way. The second video represents satire because the video is about making of fun of the liberties the government takes over us and the faults in the governmental system of the U.S in a humorous manner.
3. I think it can be difficult at times to find the difference between situational and dramatic irony because the dramatic event could be a dramatic situation.
1. The whole song itself is trying to be a form of irony, in a sense. Morisette tries very hard within the song to make ironic comments and comparisons, which sometimes didn't really make any sense to me, if I'm being kind of honest. I understood the idea that the song writer was going for, but at the same time- it felt rushed, in a sense? It was like the song was trying to give that sense of irony, but in the end it didn't achieve the type it wanted. It was like more of a joking type of comparison. Lots of ideas were strewn together and made it seem a bit too jumbled. I haven't really had a lot of ironic things in my life- well, more like I haven't paid enough attention. One thing I do have a distinct memory of irony though pertains to the batman comic books. It's not so common knowledge that in the D.C. comics universe that there have been more than three robins- in the main world/ universe, five. Batman's second robin passed away in one of the old old comics, his name is Jason Todd. Batman put up a memorial for him, it was his robin suit in his batcave, and there was a plate that stated Jason's name, and then afterwards it says how Jason was a good "solider". A lot of different variations, and then more robins, and then time skip a few years- I believe more then ten- and batman, at least, the version of batman that is still Bruce Wayne, has his fifth robin, Damian Wayne, his son. It might have been because Damian is his son that he had said this- but he told Damian that he never had any intention of raising a soldier. This obvious contradicts what he wrote for Jason (the second robin)'s memorial, which I found incredibly ironic. This type of irony could be historical, or situational. Historical makes a bit more sense than situational because the irony that Bruce Wayne had in his actions was loosely based on things that had happened in the past. It could be situational irony when it comes to Bruce's expectations of how he wants his robin(s) to turn out, compared to how they really came out.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is an example of parody. It uses the idea of Kidz Bop- a company that makes adult songs into kid's song- and reversing it into making kids songs into songs for adults. The second one is a form of satire, where they are making fun of the government's flaws by making the facts funny for the audience- into jokes.
3. If i'm being quite honest, I wasn't really confused by the definitions given above. I understood most of them well. I didn't find this device confusing in a way, but the manner in how it'll be used or the context of how it would be used is pastiche. I know it's the opposite of a parody- it's about making a situation celebrated? I don't quite understand how exactly that would be used in literature. I don't think i've seen it in a way- or I have but I'm not recognizing it as pastiche.
1. In Morissette’s song, there isn’t any sign of irony. Instead, the song is about a bunch of different events that have a bad thing happening to them but the song, lyrics, and video itself don’t show any sign of true irony. In my personal life, I have seen dramatic irony through many books and movies. Specifically, in the movie, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. In this movie, dramatic irony is shown as the audience is aware that the apple, although looking beautiful and healthy, is poisonous but Snow White herself doesn’t know this. From this, she takes the apple and bites into it which causes her to fall into a deep sleep. AS the audience knows what Snow White doesn’t, this leads there to be dramatic irony.
ReplyDelete2. In the first video, it is an example of parody. This video is taking ‘Kidz Bop’ and showcasing how adult music can be turned into kid-friendly music by changing the words to song, which is what ‘Kidz Bop’ does. The second video is an example of satire as it is shaming the government and pointing out the flaws in which they fall under.
3. Socratic irony was the most confusing definition. From the definition, I’m not sure how well I’d be able to use it in my own writings and from that, it makes me question whether I’d be able to point it out in others writing or not.
1. When the lady is telling a story about a man who waited his whole life to get on a plane just for it to crash it isn’t ironic, but she does say that the man on the plane says “Well isn’t this nice?” which is a clear textbook definition of verbal irony. It is verbal irony because the plane crashing, especially one that the man was waiting for and never hoped it would’ve crashed, is not a good thing, yet the man questions/states (depending on context) that it is a nice situation. This is the only piece of irony I recognized in the song.
ReplyDelete2. Kids' Rock by Tim Hawkins is a very, very clear example of parody in that it both mimics the Kidsbop music and mimics different singers.
Tim Hawkins - The Government Can is an example of satire because it provides harsh criticisms and shaming about the government and its officials, but produces them in an overly positive way that both mocks government advocacy and the current government’s policy.
3. I find Socratic irony to be the most confusing and I think that is because it is such a sly form of irony it often goes overheads which makes it very difficult to specifically define or recognize. By nature, the Socratic irony has to go undetected by the person you are debating, and depending on who they are and how tunnel-visioned they become it can be very tricky to both pull of and to understand completely.
Great point about socratic irony! :) And, yes - the verbal irony is the only one I found in the song, too!
Delete1.When listening to the song I only found one piece irony and the rest were just unfortunate mishaps that were just unlucky. When she talks about Mr. Play it Safe and how he was afraid to fly and when he does the plane crashes he says , “Well isn’t this nice…” This is an example of verbal irony. He says these positive words but means them in opposition to what they really mean/are. Dramatic irony is used in Star Wars when we find out Darth Vader is Luke’s father yet Luke does not know until later on.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is a parody of Kidz Bop, in which Tim Hawkins creates his own version called “Kidz Rock” in which he makes fun of how dumb/funny the lyrics in the songs are. The second video is an example of satire as Tim Hawkins pokes fun at the government by addressing all of it’s issues in the form of a song.
3. Socratic Irony is the most difficult for me to understand. I think I will need to look at more examples so that I am capable of pointing it out as it’s used.
1) In the song, it is talking about all these examples of things that aren't actually irony, for example talking about coincidences or unfortunate happenings. In my life I have seen a lot of irony in sit-coms when characters use verbal irony/sarcasm in order to add humor.
ReplyDelete2) The first video is an example of Parody (mocking), while the second video is an example of satire (criticism).
3) I think that situational irony is certainly the most confusing, because it doesn't have as clear of parameters or rules. It also just isn’t as easy to identify as the other forms of irony like dramatic irony for example.
1. A lot of what I heard within the song was bad luck. There were instances that could perhaps be classified as ironic, for example, when it was stated "10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife." This would be situationally ironic because you don't need a spoon (a spoon wouldn't be very helpful in trying to cut something) and yet there are so many of them. The thing you need is nowhere to be found. The best example of irony that I found was the line where it was speaking of the man who was in a crashing airplane saying "Well, isn't this nice." This is more obviously ironic, as being in a crashing airplane wouldn't be great, and yet he is saying it's nice (presumably in a sarcastic manner). An example of irony that I know of is within the Hunger Games, regarding Prim's death. The story was kickstarted by Prim almost being sent into the Hunger Games. It is what drove the plot. The irony comes in when you realize that the character that sparked the rebellion died the day before victory was reached. Adding onto that the fact that Katniss volunteered for the games to keep Prim safe and despite her best efforts, Prim died anyway.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is definitely a parody of Kidz Bop. Kidz Bop consists of kids singing adult songs, often with clean lyrics and different arrangements of the music. That is very similar to what is happening in this video, as the adults have now started making kids' songs more adultish, simply to make fun of what Kidz Bop does. The second video is an example of satire. While the video is absolutely hilarious, it also comments on a lot of issues within our government that Tim Hawkins believes need to be fixed. It is presented non-seriously but criticizes governmental failures that are made to seem okay.
3. Either Socratic irony or Historical Irony for me. Socratic irony is just a weird concept to wrap my mind around in general. That is to say, if I got better at this, it would be a great thing to use in arguments. Making people slip up and calling them out for it. The historical irony is a bit hard for me because I don't do enough studying and research into history to be very familiar with it.
One example of irony in the song is verbal irony. It says “as the plane crashed down, he thought "Well, isn't this nice?"”. He does not mean that it is nice, he has a fear of flying and is crashing down. I didn’t think of this myself but an example of irony that most people would know is The Gift of the Magi. I think this story is an example of dramatic and possibly situational irony. This is because the audience knows what the characters don’t and the characters are expecting the opposite of the situation than what actually occurs.
ReplyDeleteThe first video is a parody of Kids Bop, It plays on the word choice with Kids Rock and takes common rock songs and changes them to fit nursery rhyme lyrics. If I’m not mistaken the second video is a parody of the song The Candyman Can and utilizes satire to mock the government.
Socratic irony confused me the most. I just don’t fully understand the way it applies and is considered irony. Maybe with more context I would better comprehend it. I understand most literary devices but sometimes struggle to recognize metaphors or symbolism even though they seem simple enough.
1.a couple examples from the son are rain on a wedding day being situational irony because a rainy day is the opposite of the expected wedding day, and the man saying "isn't this nice" when a plane is crashing because it is the opposite of the truth. I have seen situational irony in Monty python and the quest for the holy grail with the set uo for the grand battle in the end only for Arthur and his men to be arrested by the police.
ReplyDelete2. video one is an example of parity because it is making fun of kidz bop which make adult songs kid friendly but this is making nursery rimes for adults. the second video is an example of satire because it is using a humerus method to mock the governments taxation.
3. Socratic irony irony is the most confusing to me because I do not quite get why it is ironic. for literary devises Metaphors and similes are very difficult for me to recognize as I tend to just read right past them and not even pick up that there was a metaphor there.
1.) I noticed a lot of examples of irony, most of which the scenario was not necessarily ironic, but his response. for example when the plane crashes and he makes a comment saying "isn't this nice" when in reality, we all know that it is not nice.
ReplyDelete2.) Video one is most definitely a kidz bop parody which takes modern day, inappropriate music and changes some words to make it more suitable for kids. The second video I believe is an example of satire because throughout all the governmental issues, they are turning it all into something humorous.
3.) I personally think socratic irony is extremely confusing because it is extremely difficult to use and catch in the manner hoped for. Those that are able to use it are very lucky and I imagine it to be useful to them.
1. The song shows about an unfortunate event of where a man dies in a plane crash. The man says "Isn't this nice", referring to it as sarcastically on how he did not enjoy dying in the plane crash.
ReplyDelete2. The first video shows that it is a parody about kids bop while the second video is satire where the video is being criticized about.
3. I believe Cosmic Irony is the most confusing due to how it doesn't usually fit in with the story unlike all the other devices.
1.) An example of irony I have already written is from the book we are reading in class pride and prejudice, where Mr. Darcy says "She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to temp me". He says this in reference to Elizabeth meaning that he couldn't dance with a women of her status. Of course we know now from later in the book that he ends up falling in love with her anyways.
ReplyDelete2.)The videos are parodies, Tim Hawkin is immitating and twisting around and exaggerating other childrens songs and songs from movies to have a different meaning and poke fun at them.
3.)I feel that verbal irony is harder to pick up on, when people say one thing but mean another, similar to but unlike sarcasm which is said with an attitude. The difference between the two is fine and hard to tell apart and even pick up on in the first place when a person's tone of voice isn't a giveaway or when the writter doesn't make it obvious enough.
-Jessica Herrera
DeletePeriod #2
1. While most of the song isn't true irony, the example given by the man commenting 'Isn't this nice' during a plane crash would be considered verbal irony. As an example of situational irony that I can remember hearing at some point is a phrase somewhere along the lines of 'My father smoked cigarettes for most of his life. He died from a bullet to the chest.' The phrase is situationally ironic due to the subversion of expectations that is built up through the start of the phrase.
ReplyDelete2. The videos are examples of parody, as they take existing media and twists it in a way to make fun of the source materials in one way or the other.
3. Out of the three definitions provided, I would say satire is the hardest to understand in execution, as satire can, at times, be hard to distinguish from serious media that it is attempting to saterize.
1. There were a couple examples of irony in the song that I noticed. One of the main ones that stood out to me was an example of verbal irony which was when he said "isn't this nice" during the plane crash. Another example I saw was situational irony when it talks about rain on a wedding day because the SITUATION is ironic that it would rain on such an important day.
ReplyDelete2. The first video is definitely a kidz bop parody as many of the other scholars have stated, and the second video shows satire because it takes an important issue and creates sort of a dark humor out of it, or "shames it".
3. Socratic Irony would probably be the one that confuses me the most. I feel like I just don't see it enough and ma not familiar with it to be able to better understand it. As for the literary device that confuses me the most, I would probably say irony because often times i will think things are ironic, but then my dad will say "actually that's not irony" and then i just get confused *laughing* :)
I did not find any examples of irony in the song, besides maybe the fact that we expected there to be something that there wasn’t. (The example of irony I’m using is actually something that was said by me) I ran out into hail and rain and really strong wind to go chase down our garbage can that was starting to blow over down the street and at some point I had to hide behind the lid of the trash can cause the hail was blowing sideways pretty strong so I just yelled back over to my mom watching from inside the house and laughing at me “wow, what lovely weather this is!”
ReplyDelete2. The first video was an example of a parody. Kidz bop is just taking songs written for adults and turning them into songs for kids, and the video was poking fun at that concept by doing the same thing by taking kid’s songs and turning them into songs for adults. The second video was a good example of satire.
3. Honestly, I might find irony one of the hardest to understand, just because there are so many different kinds of it and different situations in which it can be used, but also because it is so often incorrectly used which makes it harder to know when something is truly ironic.
1. While analyzing the song by Ms. Morissette, the only action of verbal Irony I was able to find is when a man is too afraid to fly a plain and when he does, he says, "well isn't this nice," after taking note of him about to crash the plane. Both verbally expressing in a delighted tone that conveyed the virtue of how devastating the situation really is, I mean he's about to crash! Many situations have I read verbal and situational irony, for example Harry Potter certainly doesn't lack in short phrases that seem positive but end up to be hilariously catastrophic. For example a professor lets out vicious screaming pixies and Neville says, "well I'd say pixies are quite calm!"
ReplyDelete2. The first video displayed examples of parodies, Using Kidz bop songs used for adult songs to then be turned into children's songs. The second video is Satire, making fun of different political figures and groups.
3. The most difficult for me to identify would be Pastiche because it's more celebratory than mocking so I find it difficult to pick up on and analyze.
1. An example of verbal irony is heard in the scenario when the man goes on a flight for the first time and the plane crashes. “Well isn’t this nice” is a clearly sarcastic remark because it isn’t a conventional response to that kind of situation.
ReplyDeleteI recently watched Pulp Fiction and an example of situational irony is Vincent’s sudden death. As he exits the bathroom, he finds Butch in the kitchen toasting poptarts and they take a good look at eachother. The second the poptarts pop out of the toaster, Vincent is shot and the scene goes silent with the only audible thing being the alarm. This is situational irony as I expected the confrontation to be much more drawn out and not as short and abrupt as it ended up being.
2. The first video is a parody of Kidzbop. Instead of grown up music adjusted for kids, it’s kid music adjusted for grown ups. The second video is satire as it playfully makes fun of and criticizes the government.
3. I find it hard to understand cosmic irony but I think it’s due to the fact I haven’t seen many good examples of it.
1. I had trouble comfortably defining anything in the song as Ironic, however I think it is ironic that a song called "Irony" doesn't contain examples of actual Irony, only unfortunate situations. An example of Irony I've noticed is that in the movie Princess and the Frog, Lottie says to a young man "When a woman says later, she really means not ever" Though this in itself isn't the irony, when she says "later" earlier, it was because she actually meant the opposite of what she said.
ReplyDeleteThe first video is parodying Kids bop, by putting a twit on it and making it kids music made for adults instead of the other way around
2.
The second video is satire, because it takes a popular topic that most are aware of and makes fun of it, creating humor that many can relate to.
3.
The most difficult for me to identify is dramatic irony, because I often can't tell if I'm actually supposed to know something or if I'm supposed to not it know yet. For example, in a TV show I watched, the villan was introduced in the first 10 minutes, and he was wearing a ski mask which left his eyes uncovered. I happened to have seen this actor in many shows/movies before and he has very distinct eyes, so I knew immediately who the person under the ski mask was. I thought there was lots of dramatic irony because I thought the audience was supposed to know who the villan is, but from reading articles and talking to friends I learned I wasn't supposed to know until the end. I now have constant doubt about weather I'm supposed to know something or not which makes it difficult for me to tell whether something is Dramatic Irony or if I just saw something I wasn't supposed to (or maybe missed something I was supposed to know)
(Move the 2. up by a sentence)
Delete1. I found the example of the man who never flew and the one time he did the plane crashed Ironic. Most specifically verbal Irony “And as the plane crashed down he thought ‘Well isn't this nice’” This is verbal irony because he is commenting on how great the situation is when obviously it is actually quite horrible. One example of irony that came to mind (because I recently saw a video that featured it) is actually about Godzilla. The original movie was created soon after the end of WW2. Kaiju (giant monsters like godzilla) Often symbolize nebulous societal fears given form, so its no surprise that Godzilla symbolized the threat of further nuclear attacks, and the destruction that would wreak on the planet. Since then however, in the more modern remakes, Godzilla has since shifted to an allegory for global warming, and climate change, acting as Mother Nature’s revenge. In one of the more recent Godzilla movies (I forget which one) There is a japanese man, who ends up having to detonate a nuke on godzilla in order to save him, killing himself in the process. It is ironic that the very thing that godzilla symbolized and was supposed to warn humanity against, was then used to save him, and the planet, framing nukes as though they were a good thing. This was a combination of Situational and Historical irony, you would only be able to understand the full story if you knew about Godzilla’s original origin and symbolism.
ReplyDelete2.
- The first one is an example of a parody, similar to how kids bop will take popular music with adult themes and modify the lyrics to be more kid friendly, this is taking music that is meant for children, and changing the lyrics so that it’s audience is adults instead.
- The second video is an example of satire, using humor to make fun of how the government uses taxation, while also pointing out some of the flaws within it.
3. Irony, mainly because it conflicted with my own preconceptions about what it meant. Irony is both when you say one thing and mean another, when the audience knows something that the characters don’t, or when something happens that is just so absurdly bad, in comparison to what you expected and prepared for that you can’t help but laugh at it.
1) Before reading this blog post I would have said that the Morissette song was ripe with examples of irony. However, after understanding what constitutes true irony I could only find the example of the man going down in a plane crash saying "Well, isn't this nice?". This is an example of verbal irony as it serves to convey the opposite of what it is really going on. I can't think of any specific examples that I have recently seen, but I know that verbal irony is probably the type of irony that I see most often. I know my dad certainly likes to use verbal irony a lot!
ReplyDelete2) Well, the first video shows a lot of common misbeliefs and misconceptions about irony with the exception of its true example of verbal irony. The second video is a parody with the overarching theme of being a knockoff of Kidz Bop. However, it then parodies popular songs redone with the lyrics of children's songs. The second video also does this using the tune of "Candy Man" to talk about the government.
3) At times I can find irony and all of its types as well as figurative language to be pretty confusing. I will often get so caught up in the plot of a story or the feelings that are evoked from whatever it is that I'm watching/reading that I forget to think about the devices or techniques that make me feel that way. Anyways, in summary I would say that it's easy for me to understand the definitions, but hard for me to find examples on my own.
1.I did not find anything ironic in the phrasing or words, it all needed more context to it. For example if it rains on your wedding and you go inside and the sprinklers turn on. There is ,however, verbal irony in saying “Well, isn’t this nice?” after a man gets in a plane crash. The fact there is no true irony in a song titled “Ironic” is ironic in itself.
ReplyDelete2.The first video is a good example of parody. It's taking well known songs and turning them into something more childlike by adding quotes from classic children's stories. The second video is verbal irony. The song talks about unjust actions made by the government in an upbeat and cheerful way.
3. I did not understand the difference between parody and satire. I grouped them into the same thing because while satire has the intention to mock a parody isn’t always negative. It tends to just poke fun without meaning much. I do not understand pastiche, it seems to be the same thing as parody. Though parody is usually vocal and pastiche is strictly visual they share very similar characteristics.