Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard among the guns below.
We are the dead, short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
in Flander's Fields...(Major John McCrae, May, 1915)
This past Monday, November 11, 2019, America paused to observe Veteran's Day, or as it is known across Europe, Remembrance Day. It is one day: twenty four hours, 1,440 minutes, or 86,400 seconds; that we are to stop and remember those who sacrificed all for our freedom.
For most of us, Veteran's Day is a happy relief from school and work--a day to sleep in, binge watch your favorite programs, go out and play a game of tackle football with your friends, or just enjoy a BBQ in the yard and the beautiful Arizona weather we are so blessed with this time of year. It is a day we celebrate, in our own way, our freedom to do the things we like to do or take a well-needed rest from our responsibilities. I have always had a very deep appreciation for our Veterans as I come from a family of people who served their country with great pride. However, I don't believe I ever truly felt the weight of what that day means until 2013 when I stood in the Globe Theater in London on Remembrance Day with my Will Power Cast.
Every time we visit London with Will Power, we visit Westminster Abbey which is located near Big Ben and Parliament. During the entire month of November, surrounding Westminster Abbey, there are small crosses decorated with red poppies with names on them. They fill in the grass all around the large cathedral, each bearing the name of one who was lost.
In 2014, an artist was specially commissioned to create glass poppies to fill the grassy moat around the Tower of London-- one poppy for every British subject who served and gave his or her life in all of the battles since WW1. With my Romeo and Juliet cast that year, I had the incredible honor of seeing that sight. I have included pictures here because this is one of those times when words truly cannot capture the magnitude of such a sight.
For this blog, I wanted to take the time and honor some of the heroes--some of the lost. I have chosen four. They are not all Americans. They fought in different battles and in different ways. They are not well known or widely celebrated, but they are, most certainly, heroes who offered great sacrifice--one of them, the ultimate sacrifice. They are but four of thousands of these such unsung heroes, and they deserve our reflection. I hope that after you learn about them and read a little bit about their contribution to our world and our freedom, you will give them a few minutes of your time and remembrance this month of November, which has now been officially set aside as Military Remembrance Month...
JOHN ROBERT FOX: The ultimate sacrifice
The 92nd Infantry Division (segregated African American soldiers) also known as the Buffalo Soldiers, was a division that fought in WW2. First Lieutenant John R. Fox was a member of the 366th Infantry Regiment when he sacrificed his life to defeat an enemy attack and save the lives of others. In December of 1944, Fox was a part of a small party that volunteered to stay behind in the Italian village of Sommocolonia. American forces had been forced to withdraw after that village had been overrun by the Germans. From his position on the second floor of a house, Fox directed defensive fire. German soldiers were attacking, and they greatly outnumbered the small handful of Americans. Fox radioed the artillery to bring its fire closer to his position. As the attack continued, he ordered fire directly onto his own position. The soldier who received the message was stunned, as there was little if any chance that Fox, himself would survive the offensive strike. When he questioned the order, Fox simply replied, "Fire it. That's an order." His sacrifice gained time for the US forces to organize a counterattack and retake the village.
After the war, the Italian citizens of Sommocolonia erected a monument to honor the men killed during the artillery barrage: eight Italian soldiers and the American, Lt. Fox. Fox was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor on January 13, 1997.
NANCY GRACE AUGUSTA WAKE: Code Name, "The White Mouse"
Nancy Wake was a British Special Operations Executive agent from Australia during the later part of WW2. She became a leading figure in the maquis groups of the ferocious French Resistance or "Army of the Shadows" that fought against Nazi occupation; she was one of the Allies' most decorated servicewomen. After the fall of France in 1940, she became a courier for the French Resistance and later joined the escape network of Capt. Ian Garrow, helping Allied pilots who were shot down over enemy territory secretly escape through the Pyrenees Mountains from France into Spain, where they could be flown out to rejoin their troops. Just three years later, Wake was on the Gestapo's most wanted list, with a five million franc bounty on her head. On the 29th day of April in 1944, she parachuted into occupied France near Auvergne, becoming a liaison between London and the local maquis group headed by Capt. Henri Tardivat in the Forest of Tronçais. From April 1944 until the liberation of France, her 7,000 maquisards fought 22,000 German soldiers, causing 1,400 casualties while suffering only 100 among themselves.
Nancy's husband George was tortured to death in 1943 by the Nazi Gestapo for refusing to disclose her whereabouts. Nancy Wake was awarded the George Medal, the US Medal of Freedom, the Médaille de la Résistance, and, three times, the Croix de Guerre.
VASILI ARKHIPOV: The Man who Saved the World
Vice Admiral Vasili Arkhipov was a Soviet Navy officer credited with casting the only vote that prevented a Soviet nuclear strike and all out nuclear was during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Such an attack would have caused a major global thermonuclear response which could have been our WW3, destroying much of the world. As flotilla commander and second in command of the diesel powered submarine B-59, only Arkhipov refused to authorize the captain's use of nuclear torpedoes against the United States Navy, a decision requiring the agreement of all three senior officers aboard.
Apparently, on October 27, 1962, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, a group of eleven US Navy destroyers and the aircraft carrier USS Randolph located the B-59 near Cuba. The Americans started dropping signaling depth charges, which are explosives intended to force the sub up to the surface for identification. There had been no contact from Moscow for a number of days, and those on board the Russian sub had no idea whether or not war had broken out. The captain of the submarine, Valentin Grigorievitch Savitsky, decided that a war had probably already started, and wanted to launch a nuclear torpedo. As such a decision required the three top in command to unanimously agree, Arkhipov was the one voice that saved the US Navy and probably, the world that day.
LARRY FROST: Vietnam War Veteran and My Friend
You have all come to know Larry Frost as the author of Conversations in the Asparagus Patch. He is a dear friend of my family and the husband of Sherri Frost, a woman I am proud to call my best friend--literally since birth. Sherri is the type of friend who stands with you through it all in life: the storms and the celebrations. They are an incredible couple of great faith and grace who are truly an inspiration.
Larry is a man who has been a great leader in business and his community and a mentor to many over the years. He has shared with us, personally, some of the most remarkable stories I have ever heard from his own war experiences as a Vietnam Veteran. If you are not someone who believes in miracles, you most certainly would change your mind if you heard Larry's stories from Vietnam. Larry doesn't consider himself a hero, but his wife and his friends most certainly do. He is a man who deeply loves his country and would willingly lay down his life for another in a time of great crisis or peril. While very humble when it comes to his own accomplishments, Larry does, however, consider those amazing young men with whom he served as heroes, and probably none more than his best friend, Shelby.
My family had the honor of finding Shelby's name on the traveling Vietnam Memorial
Wall a few years back, and I hope to have the chance to find it again someday on the real one in Washington DC. I want to share a poem, with Larry's permission, that he wrote for his friend Shelby with all of you. I have included a link to that poem at the bottom for you to read. I think you will learn that Larry has forged an eternal bond with his young friend from so many years ago, and that his very deep and strong faith has seen him through some horrifying tragedies he experienced when serving his country in the United States Army.
War is ugly. It is a monster that steals away the best and brightest and leaves the rest haunted by misery and images too horrible to speak--too ghastly to forget. It represents the very worst human beings can be; that ugly, selfish, hatred that seeks only to avenge, kill, take, and destroy.
But on Veteran's Day, we are not honoring the wars, themselves; we are honoring the heroes that dared to face the plague of battle so that we would not have to. They represent the other side of human beings--the extraordinary and unbreakable spirit that longs for life, beauty, freedom, love and opportunities for happily ever afters. I am going to quote my friend Larry Frost here to sum it up: "Where do we get such men and women? Only a loving God could ensure that in each generation there will be people with this level and courage and strength." Larry also shared with me that Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, in his book On Combat once said, "If we were to go but a single generation without such men and women, we should surely be both damned and doomed."
I look forward to a future time when I will fly across the Atlantic to London on Veteran's Day; to journey back and see the poppies surrounding
Westminster Abbey; to once again look out across that sea of crosses and red flowers in complete and utter awe at the brave souls that dared to stand up against the evil that threatened the freedom of their time and generation. I am not sure when I will be blessed with that opportunity again, but I know that I will, at that moment, reflect upon the extraordinary: those who were willing to lay down their lives so that I might stand there on a day of rest and relaxation and freely express my gratitude to them. Wherever you are on all of your November 11ths to come, I hope you will take the time out to remember and do the same.
Please watch these two videos (links below) explaining the origin of Veteran's Day and honoring American Veterans. Then, please enjoy the amazing videos that were created on Memorial Day on Omaha Beach in France and the recent 75th Anniversary of D-Day Celebration that occurred just this past June, 2019. Finally, click on the link to read Larry's tribute to his dear friend Shelby and the baby girl his friend would never meet.
In your blog response, comment on your own reflection. I conclude this very special blog with this, one of my favorite poems. It was brilliantly used by President Ronald Reagan as he stood where I have stood twice before with my family and scholars, on the shores of Normandy in France, honoring the men who stormed those very beaches to liberate France, and Europe in 1944:
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of--wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew--
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
~ John Gillespie Magee, Jr.















From Carlyle:
ReplyDeleteAs a Christian, my family prays for the US and specifically the soldiers that sacrifice their lives as well as sanity for US citizens. I have close family that served in the military. Fortunately, no losses because of war but, having conversations with them bring up so many emotions it gives me goosebumps. Even for the retired soldiers, they express the idea of sacrifice and heavy regret when they lose a fellow soldier. I also feel bad for the families that sacrifice emotionally because even as a soldier returns home, they have phycological impairments and weird rules that are annoying to us. Thank you for grounding my mind to find the true meaning to November 11th also for the emotion/passion in this specific blog post.
First, I wanted to say that I was blown away by Mrs. Caraway's reflection and felt very deeply touched by it. I have family who fought in war, though I was not close to them, nor do I know any of their stories. However, I remember being with one of my best friends in Normandy exactly two years ago and the impact that the experience had on me. We walked alone in silence at the memorial, listening to the rustle of the leaves in the wind and reflecting on the fact that we were standing on ground that though now at peace, was once the final resting place of brave young men and women. It was a surreal moment- the trip up to that point had been humorous and filled with laughter as we spent money frivolously and acted obnoxiously wherever we went; as we walked through the memorial, we didn't say a word or look at each other once. Our minds were far from being on Gucci or Chanel for once on the trip as we processed that we stood on ground where Americans lost their lives and never saw their families again. Every Memorial Day, I reflect on this experience and am grateful that I was born into a free nation, one where I will never have to experience war or repression, because men I had never met sacrificed everything for me and every other American. I will never forget the haunting silence of Normandy and will forever celebrate the courage forged in the fabric of our country from the millions of Americans who fought to keep our world and our nation safe and free.
ReplyDeleteLovely--thank you so much for sharing. Yes, that was truly a special, unforgettable day at Normandy!
DeleteReading this blog post made me really think about how often I show my appreciation towards people who are in the military or were in the military. They literally put their lives on the line for the safety and freedom of us and that could not be more selfless and courageous! My brother is in the marines and I pray everyday that he stays safe and is protected by God. Overall, it made me feel thankful and appreciative towards the life I have now due to the selfless actions of military veterans that helped shape the America we have today. We all need to take a moment of silence and reflect on the amazing freedom we have and be grateful for what we have as not everyone has it. Our freedom came at a cost and it was extremely high as the value of life is priceless! I pray that God will protect our country and especially watch over the families with lost loved ones from the horrible times of evil.
ReplyDelete*I pray God will not only protect our country but the whole world to work together in peace and love
DeleteI have to say, when I watched the video on the tribute to SGT Ray Lambert, I started to tear up when they said there is also a Lambert on this boat and he learned his brother had survived. I am constantly overwhelmed by these war stories. I don't think I will ever comprehend exactly what it is like because it is so removed from our sheltered everyday life. Then, when it showed the old man at the end of the video, I'll admit it, I cried. Its one thing to hear of these stories but to see the people who lived them it is so much more impactful. Thank you to those who have served or have a family who served. Your sacrifice is unmatched.
ReplyDeleteThough all the stories were touching, I got chills when I read about Vasili Arkhipov. I think I was overwhelmed by the mass influence his single decision had and made me think about the weight of the decisions I make. To think that this one man saved the lives of millions seems baffling and I am not sure if I could handle having to decide that, which enhances the idea of how strong he was, morally. Lastly, I was also very moved by Larry's poem. I cannot imagine the weight and sorrow he must have when receiving thanks for his service, knowing that the "true heroes" as he had referenced, could not be there to receive it as well. I am so grateful for the many, many strong people out there, and recognize how lucky I am to be protected in a way that I can go and live my life the way I want to without worry.
ReplyDeleteThis article was very eye opening as to the importance of recognizing the true meaning and underlying message of veterans day. Veterans day is often overlooked as a day of rest and peace, however, we do not understand that the beauty of the day does not lie in the fact that we are exempt from our normal duties, but rather the acts of those who we honor and have provided us with this freedom. There are millions of fathers, brothers, friends, mothers, daughters... whose appreciation is laced with a heavy heart. They are reminded of the sacrifices of those they loved as they fought not only for their family and friends, but people whom they have never met... strangers that they are willing to lay their lives down for. Next time we come upon the day of November 11th, we must not focus on the rest it provides, but rather the lives of those who have provided it for us.
ReplyDeleteReading what Mrs. Caraway put Veterans day into a different perspective for me. Compared to many of my classmates no one in my family has ever fought in a war or are a part of the US forces. For most of life this holiday was ignored until 2 experiences changed the way I saw and thought of veterans day. The first one was about 4 or 5 years ago when I participated in Buckeye's Veterans parade, it was such a wonderful experience to see these men and women march down the street. Some of them were disabled and needed a wheel chair or other assistance. The second experience was when I got the opportunity to visit Normandy and see the graves of the soldiers from WWII. The thing that had the greatest impact on me was all the crosses who did not have a name but instead something along the lines of a name who only God knew. There were dozens of crosses who did not have names and it was heartbreaking knowing that these soldiers were never identified. This really got me thinking about all the people who died and the families who would never get to see them again. Even though no one close to me serves I still like to pray and remember those who are and were fighting.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that you pray for them - even though you don't have family who serves, this is so moving and meaningful to me. :) Thank you for doing that. I am also so grateful you and the Shakespeare group got the chance to stand on that Beach and see the American Cemetery. It truly is life changing!
DeleteAfter reading these texts and watching these videos, I can't help but think of one of my friends who recently graduated and finished marine recruit training. He was originally supposed to go into the reserves, but will likely be deployed some time next year. He got to come home for Veterans day this past weekend. He's changed a lot in the three months since he went away for training, and it made me realize how deep the sacrifices are that both he and everyone who has served before him had to make. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little worried for him because he will be deployed soon, but I have to have faith that he will be ok.
ReplyDeleteI find Veterans Day to be a really good day for reflection. I have a lot of family and family friends who are Veterans and I respect and applaud what they have done for not only just me but for our country as well. They did things that I don’t want to do and gave me and everyone the freedom that we love and are proud of today. They paid the price and worked harder than most people I know and just out of their wanting to which I find very honorable. The stories that you provided for us I really enjoyed and were really just amazing to even think that people would sacrifice themselves for the greater good of others especially with the topics we are dealing with today. It really makes me think about the times where I am genuinely frustrated because the wifi is slow. For me, Veterans day was a good day for reflection to really think about what I am grateful for in life. On this Veterans Day, I was able to honor our Veterans through my love of dance. My dance company had the honor to perform in front of Veterans at Goodyear’s remembrance of Veterans. The performance was to Coming to America by Neil Diamond. Before the performance, I never had heard the song but it was a really good song for remembrance I thought. One line that I thought really connected with what has been mentioned in this blog was
ReplyDelete“Far
We've been traveling far
Without a home
But not without a star”
Here, this touches on these people that are heroes and go away from their homes to fight for the things that Americans take advantage of every day. Overall this blog I really enjoyed because I like reading about these fallen soldiers and now Veterans because I like to know more and be more educated on sensitive topics which I think everyone should know.
Veterans Day is a time in the year that is near to my heart. I have several family members that are veterans, and my dad is a firefighter and first responder. Although being a soldier requires valor and courage like no other, it seems as though the work these people do sometimes goes unnoticed. Veterans Day is the perfect time for me to look back on the sacrifices that my family members and thousands of others have made for our country. The media and videos attached to this blog made my heart heavy, as it gave me insight into the true sacrifice that veterans make every day (that I still may never understand). I have always wondered whether or not it would be better for soldiers to go to war and die, or to go to war and return with the memories and dark experiences. The poem addressed this thought in various ways, and reading it hurt my heart. There was a specific quote that stood out to me while I was reading: “what are You teaching me here Lord? What are You
ReplyDeleteasking me to do …. or to let go of? What in my
heart are You speaking to?". As a Christian, this is something I find myself praying on occasion. However, hearing it from the viewpoint of a veteran completely changed my perspective on my religion and even my life. There are things that I struggle with and find confusing, but for veterans, this is an entire different level. This was a great chance to see into the lives of veterans and to reflect on how they have contributed so heavily to the safety and freedoms of our country.
This article emphasizes on my current beliefs on how important is to thank and remember those who risked their lives for the greater good of our country. Not only is it their choice to defend the people, but their will. Veterans are one of a kind, and we should always be grateful and truly utilize all of Veterans day, to feel blessed for their service. My dad is ex air force, and left when I was 6 months old for the war in Iran. Knowing he sacrificed everything for a greater cause is even more inspiration for my need to thank veterans left, right, and center, and not even just on veterans day. Every day.
ReplyDeleteThis article only brings to mind my family's veteran, Ernest M Kinnear, a Vietnam veteran who was not only a proud father but was a proud grandfather. He served for from 1965-71. Now I was only a young kid when I knew my grandfather and it was at this time that I was a huge military nerd so I wanted to know all about what had happened to him during his service days;But every time I asked I got the stare, like he could see thousands of yards that did not exist. It took me a long time to figure out what it meant and why it hurt him so much when I asked. He had seen things no kid should and done things no man should.However he was probably the most brave man I knew and one i will forever hold love and admiration in my heart. It is on that day that my silence was attributed to him.
ReplyDeleteI think Veteran's Day is a very important day to take time to reflect on those who have sacrificed their lives for our country. I think it is important to remember these people and I most significantly remember visiting the Normandy beaches with my family and the seeing the thousands of gravestones of men who served. I learned a lot about D-Day and its significance, and the amount of lives lost that day and I found John Magee's poem to be very impactful. The authors use of "touching God" at the end of the poem to me is very insightful because it incorporates the loss of a life in a faithful and hopeful way.
ReplyDeleteVeteran's Day holds a special place in my heart as most of my family made the sacrifice of going to war, so that we may have our freedom at home, and it is important to thank the people who give up that freedom to serve. I also went to Arlington National Cemetery and a few other war memorials in DC, and to see so many people, to see graves so old and new, it makes you think about the significance of their sacrifice and for that we should be grateful. Especially those in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and i think the quote engraved summarizes how powerful the experience was; "Here rests in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God"
ReplyDeleteI found John Magee's poem powerful. He showed their bond, a bond so strong that he felt guilt he felt 'that you died in my place' and you can see and feel the pain behind his words.
Veteran's day is very important for me and for my family. My family supports our military and respects our soldiers with everything we can give. I have a lot of family that are in or were in the military which makes it a sensitive topic to me. Hearing their stories and the stories of the soldiers in the videos gives me goosebumps. They put their lives on the line so that we can live the lives we live today. Without them we would not be who we as Americans are today. We live a very special life outside of the real world. Our brave soldiers risk everything just so we can have freedom and peace, so we can walk down the street without the fear of what our soldiers go through on the battlefield. I feel like many people in our day and age forget what our soldiers do for us and how much they sacrifice giving back to us. I am very blessed for them and everything they have given to this country and others. I hope I will get to serve this country like them and give to this country as many of my family members have.
ReplyDeleteAfter viewing all the resources, tears were brought to my eyes. I never truly understood Veteran's Day until now. Hearing all the sad stories and letters written by soldiers who didn't return from war makes me feel grateful that I have family that is in the military, and are still alive. This reading has changed me. I will forever hold a deeper appreciation for Veteran's Day.
ReplyDeleteI love when something I read has that kind of power. :) Thank you for sharing that!
DeleteI probably wouldn't even be able to do attempt any of the feats that the heroes that have died for us have. War is an atrocity, and talk of it brings back apathy to me which I would rather be done away with.Even with all the heroes that have fought for us, their great stories, their charity, all I can see are their suffering, the atrocities of war. It hollows me. It reminds me of how cruel the world truly is. War, like many other things, is just fuel to my fire, its why I draw what I draw. I am but a house of mirrors. When faced with atrocities, atrocities will face back tenfold. Such are my horrors.
ReplyDeleteThis blog allowed me to truly understand how important Veteran’s Day is around the world. Although I do not have any family who has served in the military, reading about the brave heroes and soldiers made me recognize their selfless actions that helped save thousands of people. Without their sacrifices and courageous actions, we would never be able to hold such freedom that we have now, and our lives would never be the same. In specific, the story that stood out the most for me was that of John Robert Fox. Even with such a short description of his life, we can really see how courageous this man was, being willing to give up his life to save thousands of others. Heroes like him should always be remembered and recognized on Veteran’s Day and any other day of the year, as their brave actions shaped the way we live today. My appreciation towards those who served in the military grew very much thanks to this blog and the inspiring videos.
ReplyDeleteI truly appreciate this article and all it stands for. It brings about many of the feelings I felt when I too, stood in Westminster Abbey with the red poppies all about. When I stood on Omaha beach in France. When I stood at Arlington Cemetery, or the Vietnam Memorial, and the World War 1 and 2 Memorials. It makes me reflect on the people so very close to me in my family, about how they served and are still serving. They have been through so much but they don't complain, they keep going. They are grateful for everything they have and know that they and the rest of the U.S. citizens are pretty lucky compared to some people from other countries. They have done a lot for their country and I have deep respect for them. For all who serve, I stand proudly with respect and honor to support you, thank you.
ReplyDeleteFirst off, I loved this blog! I also have a lot of veterans in my life. My Great Grandfather on my dad's side was in the Air Force and served in WWII. My uncle Dave served also in the Air Force and served in the Iraq War. My Grandfather on my mom's side was in the Army and served in WWII and the Korean War. My Uncle Tom served in the navy as a submariner but wasn't in any wars. Last but not least, a dear friend to my family, Charlie was in the Air Force and served in the Iraq War. Military is a huge part in my family and I truly respect active duty and veterans for what they have done for our country.
ReplyDeleteWOW! Thank you to your family for their service! :)
DeleteWhile there are a lot of different things you can do to earn respect, I'm happy that in our society one thing that likely will never change is that risking or giving up your life for your country will never become less commendable. The same absolute honor that we have for these men and women was had years ago, and we will still have years from now. It does not change, and it shouldn't.
ReplyDeletePersonally, it bothers me when people complain about our government, our leaders, people violating our rights in little ways, and other problems that in the grand scheme of the world hold little significance. All it does is show me that people forget who sacrificed for them so that they can complain about whatever they want. While we have problems, at least because of these men and women we are given ways to fix them.
Though I've been to many monuments and Veterans Day ceremonies and felt completely in awe of the sacrifices amazing men and women make everyday for our country, I never truly appreciated and thought about that on Veterans Day. Like Mrs. Caraway, I've never felt the weight of what this day carries before now. It is absolutely baffling to me, an ordinary person, that there are so many people out there who would give their lives for those they don't even know, for the country they love. I read in history books the amount of lives lost in each battle of WW1 and WW2 but I have never put that into perspective. It's almost like I've been desensitized to war and the loss of life, but when I stop to think about it, that's a big deal! There are people out there who are taken from their families, the loves of their lives, their children, at such a young age, and they do it all because they love their countries. Then on the other side, there's people who lose their family members, the loves of their lives, their children. I think these people are just as brave as the soldiers who died because they live with the pain and grief of losing someone they care about. I've never had anyone close to me die in war, and my uncle was the only person in my family that I knew enlisted in the military. But I do know that it takes a big heart, and an even bigger amount of selflessness, bravery, and strength to be a soldier. I'm thankful that God makes people like this, and I'll forever think about those who save the world on all the November 11ths so come.
ReplyDeleteI thought that all of the videos were very inspiring, and something we really need to learn as a generation. Looking through the comments of one of the videos I found this quote: "Lest we forget; for our tomorrow, they gave their today." I think that it is very important we remember this, because one day it may be our turn to take up the mantle. We should not take the peace that we have today in vain, because it cost so much to achieve. I think it takes an inhuman amount of strength and courage to do what our soldiers do everyday. It is a courage that doesn't live without fear, but has the ability to press on no matter what it faces. I especially liked the third video, where the man was telling his story on D-Day, because it gave a very direct description of what it really is like to be in war. This was a very good blog in my opinion, and it was nice to listen to all of the memorials for our veterans.
ReplyDeleteI am very glad that you enjoyed it! :) It's a special one to my heart, too!
DeleteWith all things considered, there is a huge generational gap that exists in our country. Our generation has never underwent trauma like this. In all reality, we have it pretty easy. Especially in the United States, we have never felt the effects of wartime for people my age. The truth is, the world is a pretty mean and disgusting place. We are desensitized through video games, history textbooks, movies. These videos really shift your mindset, you're placed in the perspective of a soldier, of a family, who have had to go through the tragedy of war. Our very own existence right now is from the sacrifices of these soldiers and heroes. For that, I remain eternally grateful. Having the courage to come off of a boat, looking at death in the face, and still pushing forward for the greater good of others and freedom is a story that will never be forgotten.
ReplyDeleteI've never felt personally connected to the military in a way more than general gratitude due to no one in my family having served before. I don't think that I'll ever feel such a strong connection that others feel due to family's involvement in the military, but I do feel like I understand the extent of sacrifice that the military is because of these videos. In the tribute to SGT Ray Lambert, there is a section where he casually mentions a promised made between two men saying that whoever survived promised to take care of the other man's family. I cannot begin to image the courage and bravery it takes to make such a promise. I think a promise like this shows the ultimate sacrifice that these men and women make when they become a part of the military. I feel personally very privileged to have lived in a time without large scale world wars and to not have to be in constant worry about wartime. I appreciate and am grateful for the men and women who give up so much in order to protect and serve the U.S. constitution and ensure the consistency in our way of life.
ReplyDeleteI loved this blog! Coming from an active duty military family myself, I am always awe-struct every time I learn about another sacrifice a soldier has made. It is a subject that is very close to my heart. It deeply saddens me that today in classrooms we talk about the casualties of these horrific acts of evil as mere statistics. Our generation forgets that each of the men and women who served and died on those beaches had families, dreams, and a future. They are worthy of all the respect and honor we have to give. For their sacrifices, for my dad's sacrifices I am forever grateful. I am proud to be a member of active duty military families all over the world. And, I am so SO proud that I have a father who fights for our country so others don't have too.
ReplyDeletePLEASE tell your father thank you from me! :) My son is also in the Navy, and they truly are family heroes, aren't they? :)
DeleteNot only was this blog extremely touching, but it helped open my eyes to the importance and true meaning of Veteran’s Day. Reading and hearing all the stories behind each hero was inspiring, but the one that most stood out to me the most was the one about John Robert Fox. Reading his story helped me realize the sacrifices that he and many others have made and are still making to this day for the safety of people around the world. Although I know that there is no way to properly thank these men and women, I do believe that it is important to take at least a day, a month, or the whole year to acknowledge and show our appreciation for their service.
ReplyDelete(Jaquelyn Sanchez)
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love the third video - Elliott retelling Sgt. Lambert's story makes it even more real and impactful than if it was just on paper. I often don't really appreciate holidays focused on the military as much, since I don't really have any close relatives who are in the military, but this video made me pay more attention to the experiences of those veterans I don't know. I hope I can recognize the people who have fought for their countries a lot more in the future.
I agree! That letter was so powerful to me. :)
DeleteThis blog helped me see so much more to veterans day because I have always honored my dad, a veteran, and we have gone out to get free food for him. But 2 years ago, I had the honor of going to London, and when we first got to London, on Nov. 11th, we were at customs and everyone stopped and we stood there for 2 minutes and I just reflected by thinking about how different it was in Europe on how they show their remembrance and respect. A few days later I got to see the poppies at Westminster, and a few days after that I was able to go to France and see the beaches where the D-Day battle was fought and I walked around looking at all the graves in silence with a group, respecting them and thinking about what happened. After reading this blog, it made me remember that I saw those places in London and I know I am going to have more respect for those who fought.
ReplyDeleteI am the type of person that is always in denial of the tragedies that happen around the world and throughout history, one of those things I tend to ignore is war. All of the experiences that Sam Elliot mentioned are the things I wish didn't exist in order to create agreements and peace within nations because the soldiers that fight in it are Humans. Humans that feel and remember things that will affect them forever. I feel that Americans, especially young Americans, forget that war is always happening and there are families separated, veterans experiencing ptsd, and people dying on the war front almost every day. I am guilty of trying to stray away from the idea of war but that does not take away from the fact that these veterans sacrificed their own freedom to give us what they didn't have. I am extremely grateful for that. Because of your reflection, I now am more aware of the importance of veterans day and the people who fight for my country every day. Thank you for making this change in my perspective, it reminds me that there is so much to be grateful for and to never take anything for granted, especially people's sacrifice.
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome! I can relate to what you are saying, because I, too, hate to think about human beings in these horrific situations. I am happy that you were open minded in reading their accounts. Thank you!
DeleteIt is ignorant of me, but whenever Veteran's day comes around I never really thought about non-american veterans outside of the UK, France and Australia. This blog made me consider other men and women who gave their lives so we could live freely to this day. The second video with Sam Elliot narrating Ray Lambert's memory of D-day was very good. I thought Sam Elliot's accent would distract me from the message but it actually gave it a seriousness that allowed me to visualize the perseverance of Lambert. This reminded me of how unprepared I was when I went on the Washington D.C trip in 7th grade and saw the veteran memorials. This was because I didn't know anything about the background of what these men suffered for ever memorial. If I went now, I would have a greater value and appreciation for what the monuments represent.
ReplyDeleteThis post meant a lot to me personally, and really was something that I should have been thinking more about. My great grandfather served as a Marine in the Pacific Theater during WWII and my Grandpa Jennings served as an Army Captain in the Vietnam War. So, Veterans day is pretty important, and it makes me sad that I don't appreciate it as much as I should. I have of course always appreciated the work of the many who have sacrificed their lives for America, but it isn't something I think about enough. I am safe, comfortable, and free because of the efforts of those who have served. I should be grateful for every thing and every moment I have in this life. Being able to review and listen to these Veterans' stories really inspired me and reminded me of my grandparents who are no longer here. I wish I could give them my love and thanks. It makes me sad to hear about this generation's ill feelings towards our government officials and those who serve to keep Americans safe everyday. We really have no right to complain about our lives, we don't have the looming fear of another day in war. That is all due to the sacrifices made for our country. I wish we would be more grateful for what we have. I think I will be more thoughtful of the little things in life and those who made my safety possible.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this blog post and the videos at the end. Specifically the D-Day Soldier's Memory. Sometimes I think of Veteran's Day as primarily a day I get off, instead of a day to remember those who are braver than I and those who made the ultimate sacrifice so I can be where I am today. Visiting the Moving Memorial Wall, I often couldn't fully grasp the meaning or significance. I saw names on a wall and the sheer quantity of it made me numb. In DP Film, we just watched Schindler's List which aims to give faces to the masses and encourages the audience to empathize with the individuals. Watching these videos and learning about a few heroes, I strive in the future to remember that each name had a face and a family. They all had hopes, dreams, ambitions, and goals that they gave up to ensure that we all continue to have those things. I thank all the veterans who were risk-takers. Who cared about their community and country.
ReplyDeleteSammi Lacey//While reading this blog and watching the videos it really spoke out to me in way like I haven't felt before. I have always had a special place in my heart for veterans but after reading these it made me feel more connected in a way. These people put their life at risk daily to protect us. It has made me realize the reason that I go day to day without any worries in the world is because of those very people that protect us everyday. Without them we would be in fear every moment of the day not knowing if we will make it through but those part of any field of the army diminish that thought from us. It brings me to tears watching these videos and makes me so grateful for everything.
ReplyDeleteThis blog was very meaningful and it really gets the reader thinking. Although I can’t relate on a person to level to this because none of my family has been veterans, this could really touch the hearts of a lot of people. I think that every single living person does not give enough recognition to the people that have fought and lost their lives for our freedom. One holiday doesn’t seem to be good enough to recognize them. The blog says that in London, on the 11th hour of November 11th, everyone stops everything that they are doing to have a moment of silence for all of the lost lives. This stood out to me because it is so amazing how so many people can be grateful for people who have fought for our freedom. I think that this shows how much more these people should be appreciated and noticed by every other citizen.
ReplyDeleteWatching the videos and reading everything reminded me of how much sacarfice their is for our freedom. It makes me feel so thankful, more then I ever could be. I can never say thank you enough to everybody who fought to portect me and still is. All these soldiers who founght for out country gave up so much so we can have live out out dreams. I will remeber these veterans everyday. For me, this hit a personal side for me. My brother is in the military and I can never thank him enough. He is my hero and I can't thank him enough for joining the military and choosing to dedicate his life to this. I can not thank anybody enough times for whoever decided to deicate their life to protecting another life. It is truly amazing and inspiring to me that they have such a selfless heart and are so courages and brave. It makes me feel so blessed and thankful. Thank you to all those who served and are serving.
ReplyDeleteEdit:*...choosing to dedicate his life to protecting others and make it so we fall asleep at night feeling safe.*
DeleteI know exactly what you mean. My oldest is in the military, too, training to be a SEAL. He has become my hero, too. So proud of your brother!!
DeleteThis day of remembrance is so significant and special and I enjoyed every powerful and personal word Mrs. Caraway wrote concerning this. Although personally, I have very limited relatives that were veterans or served their country, I still feel the immense gratitude and appreciation for all those who have bravely fought and defended their country. Although when I was young, I did not take much thought into this holiday nor the significance of it. I felt as Mrs. Caraway mentioned, as if it was a day off from school. Regrettfully looking back now, I wish I took the time to know and understand the importance of this holiday and why we celebrated it. I wish I knew about the amazing people Mrs. Caraway mentioned and knew their stories. One of the stories that really stood out to me was Vasili Arkhipov: the man who saved the world. His story impacted me as I was able to realize that people who go into the dangers of war, are heroes and that every action they do has an effect, big or small. I also enjoyed the video "the 11th hour" and how it mentioned that while we are safe, comfortable, and have access to our abundance of resources, men and women, fathers and mothers, are out their fighting for us. This made me realize how everyone needs to recognize and appreciate the soldiers and people involved in wars more often. We need to express our gratitude and I know that I have learned to do more often as well.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFrom all that was said to what was shown I am very grateful for the men and women who have served and given their lives so that we may keep ours. My Cross Country coach, Coach "Hoffdad" as we like to call him served in the army recently and just got back last May. Seeing him back and missing him for so long put a toll on me and I could see it as well with his family. My heart goes out to military families and to the soldiers themselves because without them our country and the world would not be as safe as it is today. There is a saying that I have been hearing recently it's something to the affect of "The jets you hear flying over us you don't have to worry about because they are ours," and from all of these stories and videos I have never been more grateful for that statement being so true. I am lucky to be who I am and to have what I have thanks to the service men and women of our country and around the world.
ReplyDelete- Mason DoVico
So cool that you said that about the jets - every time I hear them, I feel reassured and watched over. :)
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteI have never really had a deep connection to Veteran's day even though I have many family members who served. After reading this blog and watching those videos, I definitely got a little teary-eyed. I never really considered the many lives that were given for my freedom. I didn't take my freedom for granted exactly, but it was just never a thought that came to mind; it is just a way of life at this point and that is something that I am grateful for. I have more appreciation for those who have served and for those that are willing to serve: the few peers of mine that know for a fact that they want to serve this country, because I know that I could never show such bravery and courage.
ReplyDeleteAs a child of people who fled a country lacking in defense of the citizens, I could never be more grateful to be living in a country where there are good people who are willing to put their lives on the line for strangers who might not even share their same liking's or opinions.I feel it is very brave and honorable of soldiers to not only give up their own lives for their country and fellow citizens, but they are also willing to leave their families without a member in order to bring freedom to their country and that in itself is something I feel proud of. The video that evoked the most emotions for me was the second one in which the dad is spending the day with his son in D.C. One of my favorite moments was when the father explains that the tombstones are those of true American heroes who died for the society and comfort that we take for granted every day.I believe many of us including myself don't realize what others sacrifice for our constitutional rights and in order to live in a free society. Because of brave war veterans I have the blessing of being able to grow up in a country founded on liberty with my rights untouched. Many countries worldwide lack such basic freedoms and we are blessed enough to have generous patriotic men and women willing to defend our country and its citizens at any cost, even with their very own lives.
ReplyDeleteEvery year my family and I celebrate Veterans Day, but I never really will understand what they truly had to sacrifice . I come from a family of veterans, my dad is a veteran, my grandfather is a veteran, my great grandfather was a veteran, and there are many more in my family whom I have not mentioned who are veterans. But no matter how many veterans are in my family or that I know, I will never truly understand what they went through. And every year I have to realize that, sure I know my grandfather lost one of his legs in Vietnam, but I will never truly understand the sacrifices he had to make. Every year, more and more as I get older I realize that I will never know what they sacrificed, even if I myself go into the service. But no matter what I am grateful to all of our veterans, those that came home, and those that never got to see home again. I don’t know what we would have done if not for those brave men and women, I just know that they have sacrificed a lot, and for that I am grateful.
ReplyDeleteReading this blog post and watching these videos allowed me to really take time to appreciate all of those who have sacrificed so much for the freedom that have enjoyed my entire life. I learned that it is important to show your appreciation by not taking soldiers sacrifices for granted and by instead thanking them. In past years, ive always looked at veterans day as a day off school to either hang out with friends or family. However, this year my appreciation, respect,and recognition towards these veterans has increased. It's easy to take for granted something that you don't always see and have always had but that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't sympathize and support veterans and their families. From an early age, I have memories of my great grandpa telling me stories about his service as a pilot during world war two. I dont think ill ever understand how soldiers lives are changed forever through their service but I feel it's important to understand where we came from as a country/people and continue to learn and grow. I've grown up in an age without any major wars, depressions or even the 9/11 terrorist attack as I was born the next year. This has created a gap as teenagers today are having trouble understanding, sympathizing or even applying context to these situations in order to understand their significance. This is why it's important I think to explain that the privileges we enjoy in the United States came at a price that our ancestors and veterans had to pay. I am so very blessed and thankful towards our veterans and im glad Mrs. Caraway gave us this blog post and a chance to reflect on what we could be doing better to appreciate both our veterans and resulting freedoms.
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome! :)
DeleteIt's crazy to think how much veterans do for our country and how little attention our country puts out to it. These people risk their lives so we can live our lives. These videos really made me feel how important these people are to all of us and how much they do for us while we are just here working on school and other activities we do on the daily basis. I never had any family in the military so I never really had the feeling of whether they might come back or not. It is so sad to see families deal with that and how we need to support those who go out and risk their lives everyday to make the United States the best. When reflecting back onto these videos, it makes me want to go out and personally thank these people who put their whole life on the line to protect our country. This video put me into a different perspective on our veterans and it had a positive impact.
ReplyDeleteVeterans day is a day of remembrance which is overlooked by much of the younger generation because it is hard to wrap our inexperienced minds around the idea that the the world we live in today is provided by our veterans. Every day they wake up and chose to risk their lives in order to protect that of their families and other peoples families. They keep us safe and everyone around us safe so that we can live a peaceful life. My Grandpa and uncles are veterans and are role models in my life because of the selflessness they have shown which is something I would like to learn. Thank you to all the veterans everywhere around the U.S.
ReplyDeleteReading this blog, and watching those videos, it gave me shivers and goosebumps as if those who have died serving, knew I was reading about them. My grandfathers both served in the Navy, both coming from the Philippines and I remember my grandmothers telling me how difficult it was for them. It has always had me thinking, I am so grateful for all of the people that sacrifice so much for their country. Going day by day, I tend to not acknowledge what sacrifices are being made everyday, so after reading this blog, I will make more of an effort to just be mindful of what is going on in the world, and appreciating those who are attempting to help solve the issues in the world. This blog also makes me proud that I am choosing to go into the medical field with the Air Force and proud that I have the opportunity to get to be a part of such an amazing community.
ReplyDeleteI did not know that was your goal! How amazing, Cassandra! In advance, I thank you for your commitment to our country. :)
DeleteThough I know about Veterans Day and have had similar experiences to the father and son in the second video, I though it was extremely interested the way they chose to show the importance of the holiday through the views and experiences of another family similar to my own. The part of the second video that had the most emotional effect was at 2:38 where they visit the cemetary and the son doesn't understand the significance of the place to which the Dad relies These are our heroes which was a very impactful statement and made me think back to when I visited cemeteries filled with veterans and didn't realize the ultimate sacrafice that many of them payed to protect our lives, safety, and happiness. The first video was equally impactful and I believe the images of the veterans that served throughout the years, especially the young ones, made the video more effective. The music utilized in the first video made the video more emotional and provided good music to reflect on what we know the people who have served have done for us. Watching these videos has made me feel extremely greatful for everything our people in the service do while also making me reflect on why we fight wars with each other in the first place. The world would be so much of a better place if conflict was not solved with violence and rather communication with each other rather than sending out people to fight. This thought process has made me wonder why fighting began in the first place and if this is possible to ever stop fighting. Though these thoughts are in my mond, I still am very thankful for everything people who have served have done. Thank you
ReplyDeleteIn my household, Veteran’s Day is very special because of how many members of my family have served in the military. Thankfully, they are still with us today and because of this, I have had the chance to talk with them on their experiences. When they tell me their stories and the things they witnessed in war, I can’t help but feel so much sadness that they had to go through things that we should never have to. The stories in this blog also truly touched my heart and helped me realize the real meaning of Veteran’s Day. It made me have an even deeper appreciation for the brave soldiers who risk their lives for us and our freedom. Their selfless actions of putting others before themselves can never be thanked enough. Reading this blog reminds me and others that it is important to reflect on those who have sacrificed so much for us and understand how their bravery is the reason we are here because, without them, we would not be able to have the life we have today or the country we live in. I pray for the safety of those serving our country, and I pray for their families who miss them every day. Thank you to all Veterans who have served with honor and courage, I have immense respect for you and I am forever grateful.
ReplyDeletePersonally I know only my Grandfather and Great Grandfather that were in the Air Force but were never deployed to war and I'm so grateful and hurt for the sacrifice of someone else taking their spot. I am so lucky to be able to be alive and get to wake up in the morning knowing I'm safe while someone is out there fighting for our lives. War is ugly and I hate knowing as humans we would do such horrible things like murder and kill out of self interest, but on the other side there are the heroes out there, named and unnamed, that sacrifice themselves so that so someone else can live. Reading the poem about Shelby hurt knowing that these boys were ripped away and taken by war and never got to be with their families again. Again, there is another side of that story where they knew the sacrifice they had to make and knew God was with them. Sometimes I wonder why God allows such terrible things to happen, and then I think about how much value to our lives that the sacrifices make and they leave an impact on our lives to always cherish and remember those who took another step on the battle field so we can take another breath. I know these men above and many other heroes are with God in Heaven because of the sacrifice they made.
ReplyDeleteHow very kind! Thank you--I know that will mean a lot to Larry. :)
DeleteVeteran's Day is a pretty big day in my house. My father as well a lot of my father's side of the family served in the military, some of them even served in multiple tours. Being a veteran has so much meaning and there is so much dedication and bravery that goes into it. We always do something really nice and watching those videos really opened my eyes a little bit. Many of my family members from my dads side are no longer with us, so I don't get to hear stories them. However, I always like to talk to my father about his stories and he has plenty of them. The video gave me a new perspective on Veteran's day and really gave me insight into what the real meaning of Veteran's Day is. The poem really touched my heart as well. This gave me a new level of appreciation for the freedom that I have and actually appreciation for everything that I have. Coming this far required so many sacrifices and so many selfless heroes that put their life on the line. I will forever be grateful for my family who served, as well every hero that has been selfless and put their life on the line.
ReplyDeleteVeterans day is one close to my heart. My grandfather served in the Vietnam war and fell victim to PTSD. My grandmother on my mom's side served in the Navy, and three generations on my dad's side were marines. That being said, I have such a high respect for veterans. They hold a soft spot in my heart, and I always try to go out of my way to hold a door for them, say "Thank you for your service," or pay for their meal. The poem touched my hears, and sent shivers down my spine. Although I already had such pride in my heart for my family members in the military, especially those not here with us today, these videos gave me an even larger appreciation for them.
ReplyDeleteLOVE that you thank them and even pay for a meal. Truly kind!
DeleteReading all of these stories lets me see the significance of veterans like I've never really comprehended before. They have opened my mind much more to being able to understand and empathize with veterans. Hearing stories like this touch my heart in much different ways than reading about them can. I think that the people of the Great generation definitely deserve their title because they show an immense amount of bravery and heroism. I wish people today would take more time to profess their gratitude for vets because they play such a humongous role in society. Watching the second video made me realize that there is a huge generational gap regarding service because most kids and even adults don't honor soldiers like they should. I think that growing up or living in a society where veterans are honored would be beneficial to everyone. Seeing how most people do just use Veteran's Day as a day to relax, I feel bad knowing that I should show gratitude instead. Finally, the third video honoring Lambert touched my heart the most because it shows how important friendship and comradery is, especially in times of hardship. I think it shows the selflessness of veterans and also the love in their hearts. I find it very uplifting and honorable that most veterans would say that they would rather their life be taken than their friend's because it shows how grateful they are to be alive but even more so for the bonds they have built.
ReplyDeleteI think this blog helped me to realize how much of a generational gap there is for the appreciation of veterans. For me personally, my freedom is something I don't think about often and I think it underappreciated in a generation that isn't tied to a major war or military crisis. SGT Ray Lambert's story about how few of the soldiers from the boat even made it to shore made me realize how soldiers were truly sacrificing their lives. I am now much more appreciative and grateful of veterans and soldiers for the risks they take to defend our country and our freedom.
ReplyDeleteThis blog has made me realize how important Veteran's day truly is to our nation. Without our military and others who sacrifice their time and some even their lives I genuinely don't think that any of us who are here now reading this blog post would be who we are, because of our military we are able to be who we are and are able to live our lives as we wish in freedom. Veteran's day has always been important to me since my grandfather was drafted during Vietnam and had served in the military before then, but now after really thinking about all veterans do for us I can definitely say that I am going to be more appreciative and respectful towards veterans all the time, and make sure to thank them no matter what kind of service they did.
ReplyDeleteA "Message from Nam" was the poem that made me cry. When we celebrate memorial day, we usually tend to forget why the holiday is there in the first place. We forget to remember those who are lost all because we are too busy taking our time off. I come from a long line of veterans, some serving in the Vietnam War, some serving time in Afghanistan, and all of which I'm proud to call my family, or better yet, heroes. I believe that in a country so devoted to patriotism and remembrance for our fallen heroes, we should really take time, as those in London do, to take a moment and be silent. We need to think about those who have died for us to have today. I know there are members of my family who went through war and didn't make it out alive, and there are some that came back with severe trauma of it. We don't really realize what these people go through because we're not there to see it ourselves. We're not there fighting or seeing our friends and family die. Veterans sacrifice so much for us and I believe we should at least give them a moment of silence and of reflection.
ReplyDeleteI so agree!! Watching the whole city of London wearing poppy pins and pausing to reflect on the sacrifice was truly inspiring.
DeleteI think that Veteran's day is an often overlooked but very important day. It is important to show appreciation to those who are making sacrifices to keep us safe and to be able to live the way we live. Video one was very enlightening about the day of the armistice and how important it was to everyone. I found the story of Vasili Arkhipov very interesting because I had not known that we were that close to being thrown into another war. It's amazing how much of an impact one person can make on the world.
ReplyDeleteListening to and reading the stories of all the veterans was extremely eye-opening for me. It’s not often that we choose to look at multiple sides of a war and see the other humans involved without just seeing the big picture. It is so sad and scary to think about how each of these people likely never expected to be in a life or death situation, yet end up in being a part of the largest war to ever occur. What struck me the most was how nonchalant the two brothers were on D-Day. They didn’t expect to be going into battle, yet when it happened, their first thought was to prepare the other for life after the war if either of them should survive. The poem at the end had a lot of emotion that really helps the reader to understand the depth of pain that this veteran had to face, and it really helped me to see the reality of war in a more personal light.
ReplyDeleteReading all of these stories truly is eye opening because before I did know of veterans along with their contributes but there were so many other factors I did not know of, and it is common for veterans to be homeless after time given because of their losses and lack of a home, which is sad because of how no one truly knows how they have contributed or what they have done for us. I feel like our generation compared to there's differs dramatically because of what they had to go through to get their title as veterans and nowadays seeing how kids and even adults not appreciating war vets is depressing personally because war has such an immense effect on people and on their long term memory and personal thoughts. Not only did the stories and videos completely change my mindset for veterans day but so did Mrs. Caraway because of how they showed veterans day in a completely different point of view and perspective, I feel as if everyone takes this day and the individuals for granted...veterans day as well has always been a special day to me because of my family, and it is so sad seeing nowadays how societies view and label shape this holiday. I am so grateful for these individuals that fight for our freedom and am so grateful to be alive, as a vast amount of people take everyday being a new day for granted, there are many mysteries that they do not consider such as war and what is out there trying to hurt us as a whole.
ReplyDeleteThis blog has really reaffirmed my belief that soldiers always deserve our respect. They sacrifice so much for us and they definitely deserve to be honored every year. What really stuck out about this blog was all the stories about the veterans. My favorite was the one video with Sam Elliot. It truly highlighted the importance of remembering and sharing the stories of veterans.
ReplyDeleteI can't begin to image the monstriticites that soldiers in the front lines face, mostly because they themselves secured me this privilege. The things that strike me most are filmic representations of war, books can submerge you in but a movie can show you real time what's happening. I recently saw the movie "Midway" about the battle in the pacific with the Japanese. I have never had such respect for pilots, they dive straight into enemy fire knowing that chances are they wont make it back. There was a scene where instead of revealing the location of his carrier, Nick Jonas's character choose to die. They threw him overboard with an anchor attached to his ankles. I can't even image. And I'm sure that's not the worst of the deaths. I'm very thankful to those who served, and especially those who met a terrible fate with such heroism.
ReplyDeleteI LOVED that movie!! The filming was incredible. I was on the edge of my seat. I know just what you mean!
DeleteI loved the way that the "Message from Nam" poem was structured. It forced me to stop and to really feel the words on the page and take a moment. I am often guilty of not taking a moment on remembrance days when I am not told to do so, but this post has reminded me to take that small time from my day to honor those who did such great things for my freedom and for ultimate peace. I am truly grateful for these heroes as I take a moment to remember their sacrifice. Lest we forget.
ReplyDeleteI always knew about the work that all Veterans have done for America and I have always greatly appreciated their service to our country but this week I feel I have gained a whole new level of understanding about what they do. Before this week I never really knew what their job entailed and what sacrifices people in the military were making but now I feel that because I understand more about this aspect of military life I am able to appreciate Veterans and people in the military even more. I recently saw the movie “Midway” and in it the audience is given a visual depiction of the atrocities that occurred at Pearl Harbor and at the battle of Midway. This movie and the videos and poem that I have recently viewed and read allow me to, in a sense, put myself into the shoes of an American soldier and this knowledge/perspective makes the world of a difference. After exposing myself to these texts I feel I know more about the sacrifices American soldiers make for our safety. They knowingly put themselves in danger to save us knowing that they may not come back, knowing that they might not come back to their families, friends and their country. I am grateful for my exposure to these texts that have helped me gain a whole new level of respect for American Veterans and Soldiers alike.
ReplyDeleteForever in my heart will I admire my dad, my aunt, and my great uncle for serving for their country although in different ways. The courage and strength required to be a soldier is undefinable and yet eternally respected. I've found that like your friend, Larry Frost, it is difficult for my dad and uncle to acknowledge being heroes and yet unlike Mr. Frost, my family seldom speaks of their time in war.
ReplyDeleteMy great uncle, Charles Hice, is a Vietnam War Veteran and I don't think I had ever truly seen the effect that the war had on him until one Christmas day a couple years ago. That Christmas my cousin decided to make him a hand carved plaque to commemorate his service. The War had always been a sore subject for my uncle so he seldom spoke of it, but that day when my cousin stood in front of our family to thank my uncle, the stoic tough man I had always known, burst into tears and thanked my cousin. I say the least, I was very... VERY! surprised by his actions. I had never seen him emotional in that sense so to see him react that way showed me how impactful war is and I thank him everyday for his bravery and the orders he took in the name of his country.
My dad and aunt on the other hand have a very different Veteran's story but one I respect just as much. My dad and aunt are from Nicaragua. For people who love history, they might know that most central american countries have been riddled with civil war throughout history. My dad and aunt became guerrilla soldiers in a group known as the Sandinistas: who sought to free their country from the oppressive regime of the Somoza family. Then after the Sandinistas took over the government, they officially served in the Sandinista army. My dad sometimes recounts stories of his time in the army but he doesn't consider himself a Veteran because he didn't serve the United States but I consider him a Veteran. He fought for his country to overthrow the dictators that ruled his country. He fought for his country's freedom and risked his life among the countless men and women who did the same, so for that, I respect his service.
AMAZING stories, Elisa! Larry, too, was unable to talk about his service for many, many years. He now does, but initially he could not. He even tried to throw away his medals, but his wife, Sherri, stopped him. Vietnam veterans were treated VERY poorly when they returned. Many never heard the words "Welcome home." Instead, they were spat on and insulted. It is so sad to me that men who put their lives on the line for their country were treated this way. Never again.
DeleteThe courage,determination, strength, and pride that it takes to be a part of any armed forces is truly unrecognizable by most people. The men and women that protect and serve our nation truly are our heroes even though many people don't give them a second thought. The things that they have to go through on a daily basis is beyond remarkable. When most of us are relaxing at home going about our daily lives, they put their lives on the line and work to protect our liberties and rights. The videos show the sacrifice and struggles soldiers have to go through. In the end of the day I am truly grateful for the people that protect me and everyone around me day-in and day-out.
ReplyDeleteThe men and women who serve our country are not only hero's but they're an inspiration. It means so much to me and my family that we have them protecting us and our country which is what makes Veterans day so special. It's important to acknowledge all the incredible things that they do for us and let them know how much we all care. All of our lives have been impacted by the veterans in that serve our country and I think all of the videos help illustrate that.
ReplyDeleteFrom Eben:
ReplyDelete"I was very impacted by the text and also the videos. This was very impacting mainly due to the fact that almost every male member of my family has served in the army. These videos have made value their service even more. The video about the D-Day also impacted me because my great grandfather was apart of the Normandy landings and he also pushed the Germans back out of France throughout WWII. The video about the D-Day veteran showed me how brutal war can be, it scars, wounds, and also kills people. Learning this, I now respect veterans because of the fact that they willingly give so much for their country and they receive so little in return."
I remember sitting in Mr. Arnoldy’s class one day and learning about he First World War, we had watched a music video on the outcomes of the war and it was absolutely haunting. It showed a soldier without eyes or limbs. I don’t quite remember how he had looked but I still have the segment of the video where he is struggling, screaming, and thrashing around in the back of my mind anytime war or veterans are brought up. The part will always stick with me.
ReplyDeleteThe sacrifices these heroes make to fight for our country is greater than one I could ever know. The only veteran in my family was my grandfather, he had served in the air force in the 1960’s. I only recently found this out and unfortunately I am unable to thank him however I can still live knowing that he served for my future.
Thank you, Kiana Charette
From Trinity:
ReplyDeleteMy dad was in the Army for 23 years so some of these videos really hit home. I remember staying up super late every night wondering if he was doing okay. The days when he came home were the happiest days of my life. The video with Sergeant Ray Lambert also got me. My dad and his two brothers were all in the Army together. So, they would always tell each other that if one died, they get that family. It was always a funny joke because one of my uncle's would be like "But I don't want your weird family" with a goofy smile on their face. We would all laugh and say "We are too good for you anyway" and it was a fun time. It's just that I am grateful that the joke never came true. I have met some amazing veterans that really deserve the world. They deserve massive amounts of respect for what they have done. I even believe that one holiday isn't enough to thank them for the sacrifices they made for this country.
I honestly never understood the meaning of Veterans Day, as reading this and watching the videos makes me feel selfish for not considering the real factors behind what men and women fight for so I and others can go to school to grow up and fulfill our goal. As reading this showed that there are different paths that everyone takes and it shows that sacrifices are not really a thing its what someone feels is right and what they need to do to keep others safe out of their heart. I had family that had been in war but I was never able to meet them so I do not have any experiences that I could relate to. But through reading and listening I feel as people are selfish but at the same time are not very educated in what men and women have done so that we the people who do not fight can have the freedom that we have today.
ReplyDeleteThese videos really gave me a new perspective of American soldiers. I have a few living grandparents who have fought in a war, but it's not something we really talk about. I feel I have a better understanding of Veterans' Day, as well as, the courage it takes fight for our country. I have always appreciated the men and women who serve our country and who have made it possible for this to be a free country, but I never fully understood. I am so grateful for the veterans who have served our country and those who continue to today. They truly are heroes.
ReplyDeleteI have a great respect for the military men and women who courageously run straight into danger. Having a dad who served in the U.S Air Force and a grandpa who served in the U.S Army I have a strong feeling of gratefulness for the many sacrifices made by the men and women. I know and have experienced the after math of the pain the war causes on our soldiers. I have heard multiple stories of war from many veterans and each one reminds me of just how lucky and blessed I am to be living in a country where I have so many rights and freedom because of those who fought for it. These men and women deserve so much more. I have so much respect for those who have served, are serving and are going to serve. Thank you to all have gone and who are going into the military I will be forever blessed, thankful, and proud of your decision.
ReplyDeleteI've always had deep respect for men and women in uniform, especially veterans because people around me never failed to remind me what they sacrificed, like their lives and the ability to live like any other civilian would. It's horrible that although however advanced we may be, humans never fail to find a way to destroy each other and become victors through war. I don't like the fact that history repeats itself when there are atrocities of war, and the fact that so many people sacrifice themselves to make sure it doesn't happen again. The videos reminded me of why we stand for veterans, why there's a holiday for them, and that the horror they go through is real. This week I thanked them for allowing me to live in freedom, to live normally and not to experience the horror of war, and their tremendous sacrifice in defending their country and its citizens, no matter where they are from.
ReplyDeleteThese videos do a great job of helping people understand and realize the bravery of young men who went to war, sacrificed themselves and their loved ones for other's safety. Veterans day should become a more integral part of our lives in the U.S. The men and women who go to war risk their lives, their mental health, their physical well-being and their relationships. As a society we should take into account what war does to people and their families, and in turn world leaders should do their best to work together and avoid such catastrophic conflicts.
ReplyDeleteI come from a family where atleast one person serves in the military in every generation. We take these days very serious, especially those who sacrificed their lives for people they don't know. My dad served 19 years in the military during operation desert storm and some, every year on this long weekend on veterans day or labor day, it isn't a break from school...its a cold hard day for the whole family because it's the day we respect my greiving father for all the brothers he lost. I wish people had a better perspective on this day, I wish there was more to do for those families who directly lost someone. I plan to take my part as a nurse in the military. I feel it is the least I can do to possibly prevent the loss of any limbs, any memories,any sanity, any soldiers. It's a harsh world, good people don't deserve what they recieve from being in the military.
ReplyDeleteReading this reminds me of the stories my great uncle and my aunt used to tell me when I was little, and it gave me a great appreciation for what the military does for our country. It takes an incredible amount of courage for a person to put their life on the line for the sake of other people.I respect the people who are willing to dedicate themselves to the military.
ReplyDeleteThe videos conveyed a level of understanding to the peoplethat have no experience of the military and don't truly understand the level of dedication and heart it takes to be willing to go and serve for this country. The risk everything just to save people who sometimes don't give them the recognition they deserve. Their mental health and relationships can be seriously damaged by war yet they do it because they have the goodness in their hearts to be willing to risk it all. I myself have no connection to the military although I have considered enlisting before, but I have always held a great respect for each member who puts their life on the line each day without repayment or requirement. They deserve much more than just one day of appreciation.
ReplyDeleteWhenever I think about 9/11 I always remember my mother's perspective of that day. Both her and my dad were in the Navy at that time, my dad's ship was almost immediately deployed, and my mom was working on signing out for leave, when she watched the second plane crash on the Television in the waiting room. once she saw that, she handed back her papers, and went back to her room, because she knew she wouldn't be leaving now. Everyone who was alive at that time knew that change was coming, especially for those in the military
ReplyDelete