Monday, February 11, 2019

TO A GREAT MIND, NOTHING IS LITTLE: A Celebration of the Detective Genre (for Juniors Only)

There are, of note, four distinct varieties of what we call "Pop-Culture" or light novels or and the detective story.  These types may overlap somewhat in content from time to time, but although they may borrow devices, themes or appeals from one another, they follow the stylistic guidelines of and evolve within their own genre boundaries.
stories:  The romance novel, the adventure novel, the mystery novel

Of these four kinds of literary and screen entertainments, the detective story is the youngest and most complicated; the most difficult in construction and the most distinct.  It may seem, in one sense, to be an offshoot of the mystery novel, but upon closer inspection, this relationship is far more distant than the average reader imagines.  In order to understand the uniqueness of the detective story, we must first think like the protagonist detective, him or herself:  we must endeavor to determine the peculiar appeal of this genre to all classes of people...

It has been asserted that the answer is that the detective story belongs more to the category of riddles than mysteries: it is, when written well, a complicated and extended puzzle cast in fictional form, and resembles in structure and mechanism the cross-word puzzle. Think about it:  in each, there is a problem to be solved, and the solution depends entirely on the mental process of the reader or observer; the analysis and fitting together of apparently unrelated parts, and in some measure, educated guessing.  Each is supplied with a series of overlapping clues to guide the solver, and when these clues are snapped firmly into place, a solution may be achieved, and all the little details weave together nicely into a complete, interrelated and closely knitted fabric.

There is no more stimulating activity than that of the mind, and no more exciting adventure than that of the intellect.  Human beings enjoy solving riddles and puzzles; they have throughout the ages. Because of this, the detective story has set its own standards, drawn its own rules, and advanced in its form and technique.  Its style is direct, simple, smooth and unencumbered rather than being one replete with descriptive passages, metaphors, and word pictures.  The skill of a detective story's craftsmanship is revealed in the way all the clues: characterization, syntax, diction, and plot fit together and somehow manage to reveal all for the reader and observer to discover.  There is a strict ethical course of conduct that must be followed by the detective novelist:  he/she must NEVER once deliberately fool the reader; he/she must succeed by ingenuity, alone.

As we are learning now, Edgar Allan Poe was the undisputed "Father" of the Detective Story, literally creating the template for all the detective fiction to follow.  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, himself once said that "Poe was a model for all time."  In just three of his stories, Poe created the amateur detective (C. Auguste Dupin) and his narrator friend, the locked-room mystery, the eccentric amateur sleuth outwitting the police force, the "catalogue of minutia," the interview of the witnesses, the solving of a cold case that stumped the police, scattering of false clues by the murderer, and the concept of "ratiocination" (later explained by Sherlock Holmes as "observation and deduction.")  Other stories by Poe presented the notion of cryptic ciphers, surveillance, and the least-likely person theme (in one case, the narrator, himself is the murderer!)

Poe also began the tradition embraced by connoisseurs of crime fiction: "The Rules of the Game."
These rules state, among other things:
1.  The detective story must play fair (revealing all clues to the reader)
2.  The detective story must be readable.
Therefore, the true detective story, according to Poe, is like a game of chess played by the author and reader--an interaction in which clues are cleverly dropped, often in the disguise of underplayed narration, for the astute reader to catch and assemble.

All good detective stories have had for their protagonist a character of attractiveness and interest, of high and fascinating attainments, a man or woman at once human and unusual, colorful and gifted.   Many authors of the detective story, including Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, write their stories backward, just to be sure to adhere to the rules of the game.  This way, they begin at the answer and are sure to sprinkle the clues appropriately in the story, down to the beginning.  It is what I like to call "unravel writing," writing that assures that the path will lead the reader to the correct deduction IF he/she has paid close attention.

Poe's stories led to the development of such popular characters like Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot,  Nancy Drew, and Miss Marple.  More modern greats like Columbo, Magnum P.I., and Detective Briscoe, Goren, and Eames from the infamous (and my personal favorite) Law and Order began to populate our television sets. Movies have also been made, such as Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downey, Jr., often adding in elements of humor, adventure and sometimes even romance to twist and turn the story even a bit further.  But the primary elements of interest remain the same.

Crime has always exerted a profound fascination over humanity, and the more serious the crime (a la Criminal Minds, HBO's True Detective or such macabre movie stories such as The Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs from the Hannibal Lecter series) the greater the appeal.  Murder, it appears, gives an added zest to the solution of the problem, and seems to render the satisfaction of the solution just so much the greater.  The reader or viewer feels no doubt that his/her efforts have achieved something worthwhile after the amount of mental energy he/she has had to expend.

Below, I have attached links to some of my favorite detectives set in scenes from their series and movies throughout the years.  Take a look: I hope you enjoy them, and I hope that you will share which ones you enjoyed the most and then share some of your favorites, too!  As the great Detective Holmes once said:  "My mind rebels at stagnation; give me work!  Give me problems!"  

I've always loved a good intrigue...and as we continue our study of Poe, I hope you do, too!


Hercule Poirot (Agatha Christie)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xYoMiTvcAA




Law and Order, Criminal Intent  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0fc2Ddoln4


Shawn Spencer, from Psych  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krWONONSN78

AND we cannot neglect the Ladies!

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aEqGHISwqk

37 comments:

  1. Out of all of the above trailers the ones I found most intriguing and to be my favorite were: psych and sherlock. While these are both quite predictable answers their the ones most familiar to me and that Ive become invested in over the years. I did like Hercule Poirot too though, I thought the immediate fourth wall break was quite funny and an interesting take on a detective story while still staying true to having a self righteous narrator/ detective. A few of my personal favorites, excluding those on this list include: criminal minds and psyche, even though psyche is on the list, it's just worthy of two mentions because of how insanely unique, funny, and well done the writing of that show is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Joshuah DIGuardi) I have had absolutely no connection to detective literature in regards to any of the above . and little to non before last week(besides lieutenant Joe Kenda) and it is only now that I feel as if I have been missing out on this genera and how truly diverse it is. I feel I should look into both Sherlock Holmes as well as Hercule Poirot as that seems to ring as a highly dramatic piece of theatrics . And both Sherlocks would be highly entertaining in whatever mysteries where played upon to make it relevant to this day and age as these are relevantly new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I found the Psych trailer to have the most appeal. I have always loved the show because of the way they were able to weave the solemnity of a detective show and the humor of the cast. Although I do love the intricacy of the story of Sherlock Holmes and the intriguing relationship he has with Watson. Lastly, another one of my favorite's that was not listed in the trailers is Nancy Drew. Nancy Drew was one of the first novels I had ever read and is what really got me hooked on the detective stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the trailers above I've seen only Psych. Every season that I have watched of Psych was always entertaining. As for the other trailers, I wouldn't mind watching all of them. They all look interesting in their own way.
    To be honest I don't watch TV very often because of school work and other activities taking over my time. But some great detective shows that I have watched, not shown in the trailers above, are Lethal Weapon, Castle, and Nancy Drew. I'm pretty sure that there are others that I have seen, that are just not coming to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not seen any of these shows or many mystery shows because I personally don't like super freaky or supernatural shows. Although, all of the trailers on here seem to be very realistic and placed in real life so they all peaked my interest. In particular, the Sherlock and Psych shows seem to be the most interesting because they seem to be more modern and show a higher level of film production that has come in recent years. I was intrigued by the humor brought into Psych that seemed to break of the heavy detective work. Overall, I would watch all of these shows but am more interested in the modern renditions of detective shows like Sherlock and Psych

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out of all the trailers I watched, the ones that intrigued me the most were the two Sherlock ones and the Psych one. I have grown to love all of those ones and it is easy to see why they would appeal to me. I have grown up watching these great detective shows and they make it onto my favorite T.V. shows. I like how Sherlock has a very clever way of presenting evidence and the process of solving it through Sherlock's imaginative thinking. I also like the general style of the show as it has a sort of intrigue and unique style. Psych is also very humorous and flips around conventional detective shows. For a show that I think should be mentioned, I think Monk is notable. I have watched that show from a very young age and it set my standards for a lot of detective shows as it is slightly humorous and an intriguing protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From all of the videos, I would have to say that the most interesting to myself is Sherlock Holmes. Since I was about 9 or 10 years old my parents started to allow me to watch crime shows. There are ones that I have taken a liking to; Bones, Castle, NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, Criminal Minds, and the list could go on and on. I found myself at a young age wanting to be just like them, I wanted to solve those crimes and help those families have peace for their loved ones. I love when the detective's aren't exactly normal, they always certain traits that set them apart from others. To me, those detective seem real because not everyone is the same. I feel that the styles of the shows I have listed above are in many way similar to each other because of the dynamic aspects of how the characters interact with each other. Overall, I just love murder mystery's and feeling like you are apart of the investigation itself. I hope that more people will find a love for these shows as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before I unveil my personal favorite, I felt it was appropriate to consider some honorable mentions that were worth stating. I enjoyed the trailer for Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, as there are not many female detectives that are seen as notable. This one stood out to me for this reason. I also enjoyed the Magnum PI trailer, as it was action-filled and entertaining the whole way through. I also got major 80's vibes that made it feel nostalgic. My third and final honorable mention is the 2nd Sherlock Holmes trailer (Robert Downey Jr). Again, I felt nostalgia as Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man, one of my favorite characters from any franchise. Aside from this, I was impressed by the minor details and visuals that were included in this trailer. It further built the idea of a detective story and was something that I found intriguing. This trailer was definitely in the running for my favorite. However, the trailer that I decided upon labeling as my personal favorite was the first Sherlock Holmes trailer. Benedict Cumberbatch plays the role of Sherlock Holmes excellently, as he is serious, but invested in his job and finding an answer to a seemingly unsolvable case. The trailer also included action as well as some horror themes, which further adds to the detective elements of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The clip I enjoyed the most was the Law and Order Scene, from this we can see that detectives look at physical work before they think of psychological work. I personally think that this is needed in order to be a true detective, the physical side allows you to connect to the psychological side, for example, the pricy outfit and watch could have shown (if it were the same killer) that the killer may have had some type of issue growing up with or without money. Perhaps they did not have a lot of money and were picked on because of what they wore. Or maybe the killer grew up with too much money and saw how it effected having a family and enjoying the little things. This is why I love detective type stories and shows because I can pull things out very easily. This is also why I want to work in trauma, it challenges the mind to understand what happened just by looking at a broken body.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To be honest, I've always felt like the detective genre, specifically the "cop show" genre has always felt a little bloated. There are so many entries to that genre in television and books and movies that it's kinda crazy. Really, if you turn on TV today and scroll through the channels you're bound to find one or two of those shows, one of them probably being one you've never heard of. That's why I'm glad that shows like Psych joined that genre, bringing a certain freshness to what felt like a heavy-laden genre, with goofy ideas and plots that make themes that have been explored before even more fun. Of course, you will always have the classics, in shows and movies about original works by people like Agatha Cristie or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The Sherlock show by BBC is one of my favorite detective shows out there, and the movies starring Robert Downey Jr and directed by Guy Ritchie definitely pay justice to the character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and by the way, this scene from Phineas and Ferb is a great example of how detective shows have shaped pop culture (Skip the weird intro).
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCdbNKl4ypM

      Delete
  11. While looking at each of the trailers above, I have heard of each of the shows, but never truly watched them. Out of the shows above, I had watched Law and Order before so I had a little bit of background along that TV show. My favorite of them all was probably the Psych trailer, and Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. The reasoning behind the Psych one being a favorite is mainly based on humor. From the looks of it he seems as if he is just a distraction rather than anyone important, but I guess that’s what makes his job important in the first place. The reasoning behind Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries trailer is the fact that it shows a woman trying to solve crime instead of the men doing all the work. Back in the day this was portrayed in, which could have been around the 1920’s I would say, women were just starting to learn how to have a voice of their own. There were a lot of exceptions though, because a majority of women didn’t want to have to bring in any income due to the fact that the husband was the one who would do that and women were supposed to be starting up their families. I was honestly expecting myself to enjoy the Law and Order trailer, and the Sherlock Holmes ones, due to the fact that they were more common and due to the fact that I had seen some episodes and parts of each show. But, i wasn’t as interested in the trailers as I was with Psych and Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Personally I love the mysterious, crime solving, and the detective genre in general is simply my favorite so I have seen a lot of different show that revolve around detectives trying to solve crimes. The genre depending on which shows you watch can become a bit redundant but shows like Psych and Bones, two shows that I like to watch, keep it interesting for me at least. Therefore I preferred the Psyche trailer because it my type of show. As well I've watched the Sherlock and Holmes movies but they were just never as interesting to me and when I watch t.v. shows. A part of that could just also be the fact that t.v. shows go on for longer and sometimes it nice to know what generally going on. I also really liked the trailer for Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries because I'm all for a strong leading females solving crime, which is part of the reason I really like the movie The Heat (Italics). So thank you, now I have something on my list to watch other than Film movies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After looking at all the trailers, I found the first Sherlock Holmes trailer and the Psych trailer to be the most interesting. The Sherlock Holmes trailer seemed to be more mysterious compared to the Psych trailer, that looked more funny. I normally watch the Hallmark murder and mysteries that come on every Sunday. They can be really easy to solve at times. Now I am excited to watch some new shows!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my favorite detectives of all time is Sherlock Holmes not only because he is so smart and witty but because he always has some way of adding humor to the his investigations (or at least in the movies with Robert Downey Jr. he does). Although as a film Sherlock homes is entertaining and fun to watch, my favorite series of detective books are the Nancy Drew series. I have read only a couple of them because they are a bit old and hard to come by, but I have fallen in love with the cases of Nancy Drew not only because she is very intelligent, but also because it is a break of the typical mysterious male detectives that dominate the detective genre in literature.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Out of these trailers my favorites were definitely the Sherlock Holmes ones because of the action and thriller aspect, and I also enjoyed the Miss Fisher's murder mysteries trailer mainly because I enjoy the fact that she was a female detective who seemed delicate but totally dominated the case. I'm currently watching Criminal Minds and I absolutely love Spencer Reid because he's so smart and he always finds something to break the case when they get stuck. The whole team on that show is my favorite because they're so intelligent and they're able to go past the hard fact evidence and determine why it's significant and what the evidence would say about the unsub. So far I really enjoy the detective genre and what it's turned into for pop culture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite was definitely, by far, the Sherlock Special. In nearly all of his scenes and investigations, he seems to introduce some new perspective that we, as an audience, never seem to know until he shows it later on in the story. I have always been a big fan of detective stories and shows, and while I haven't quite branched out to other shows besides 'Law and Order', Sherlock is absolutely wonderful at introducing concepts and proving points in a chess-like manner, just like we learned in class.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My favorite was absolutely the Psych trailer. I grew up watching this show and I love his entire persona of being secretly brilliant but just plays off as a crazy psychic. I find that in the actual solving of the case I appreciate how analytical it can be though it is a goofy show.

    ReplyDelete
  18. While I have heard about many of these shows before, I confess to have never watched any myself. The main reason for this being my lack of interest towards the detective genre as a whole. After watching all of the trailers however, I now begin to see what the big fuss on detective shows is all about; they were all very intriguing! Specifically, I found both Sherlock Holmes trailers to be of most interest to me, not only because of the familiar faces and more modern filming style, but because of how inclusive it seemed. What I mean by this is that it while it did appear to have the normal detective/mystery traits, it also showed to be action-packed and comedic in ways I wouldn’t normally consider detective shows to be. With this in mind, I can for sure see myself giving in and watching Sherlock Holmes and many other shows of the sort on my free time in the future:))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Personally, I have never seen any of the shows from the trailers or any other mystery/crime show in general. I think the main reason why this is so is that I haven’t found the right one that intrigues me the most. However, after watching these trailers, I became a lot more enthusiastic in watching most these shows, as they all seemed appealing and entertaining in different ways. The show that stood out the most was Sherlock Holmes, as the trailers seemed more modern, especially through their cast and film production style. Other than this, I also found Miss Fisher's Murder Mystery trailer very interesting as well, as there typically aren’t as many female detectives as males, especially during the time period that this show was set around. Watching these trailers made me a lot more interested to start watching detective and mystery shows.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have always loved Sherlock and found all the stories fascinating! I grew obsessed with the BBC version of Sherlock including Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, so the Sherlock special was no surprise to me. Since I've already seen the original episodes along with the special, I thought the trailer really did it justice in describing what would happen. Admittedly, I have never seen the Robert Downey Jr. version of Sherlock Holmes but I intend to see it. I think it's definitely a lot more action-packed than the BBC Sherlock but it's still worth noting the similarities in making Sherlock very eccentric in his work. I also really love Columbo as his technique of acting dumb and clumsy makes him less of a target towards the suspects so they believe they have the upper hand. Columbo's strategy of asking supposedly "dumb" questions helps him ask the right questions to find the criminal and catch them off guard. I especially love watching Columbo with my dad as he would watch it all the time and I would always join him, so it was most likely my first ever detective show.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I genuinely enjoyed watching all the trailers for this blog. I felt that each show had individual aspects that I found gave them each their own unique charm. I really enjoyed the trailer for Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries because it had a unique quality about it being that she is a female detectiv ein a dominantly male occupation and despite that she was still non-conforming. My favorite part in this trailer is when she's asked "why do you think you can just run off on your own" to which she responds "because I'm carrying a gun" and then she pulls out a golden handgun that was being covered by her sleeve. I found this interaction to be so funny because Miss Fisher is completely care free to the fact that it is thought that she can't take care of herself. I found her personality charming and was very compelled by her strong self worth and obvious pride in what she does. Some honorable mentions for me had to be both of the Sherlock series. I tried to watch the BBC one Sherlock series years ago but couldn't be bothered by the length of the episodes, but now this unit is starting to convince me to start watching them again. I also love the sardonic humor between the both of them because I think it appropriately combines to the action of the two series.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My favorites of this list that you gave us are the two Sherlock Holmes trailers, the Psych trailer, and Mrs. Fisher's Murder Mysteries. I liked the Sherlock Holmes with Benedict Cumberbatch because I've actually watched the series multiple times and it is still one of my favorite shows. I also enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes trailer with Robert Downey Jr. because I have never seen this movie but I love him as an actor and this movie looks awesome. The Psych trailer made me laugh and surprised me because I have never seen the show and I didn't know that it was about a guy pretending to be a psychic. Lastly, I enjoyed the Miss. Fisher trailer because it is rare that you see a female detective and in the time period that she appears to be in, women were seen as fragile beings and they definitely weren't out solving murder mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved all of these trailers, but my absolute favorite would have to be Psych trailer. It jumped out to me more than any of the others. I love mysteries and detective stories, but I have never been interested in Sherlock, so it was nice to see some other options. I think I will look more into Psych after seeing this trailer, I loved this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I liked most of these trailers but for different reasons. I liked the Sherlock one not only because it seemed interesting but it also seemed to highlight the detective mindset that Poe describes in his “Murders in the Rue Morgue”. I can tell that Sherlock has a detective mind because he seems imaginative. I’m not too familiar with him but the way he seemed to analyze the crimes and figure them out in a time which I assume didn’t have modern technology like DNA evidence, really fascinated me. I liked the Psych trailer because it looked really funny. I like comedy and humor and I liked how the Psych show seemed to be those things combined with the detective story line. I feel like this would be a really great show for me to watch. I also, as a surprise to me, liked the Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. I don’t exactly know why I liked it so much but I think it's a combination between how ominous, mysterious and unpredictable it seemed. I felt like it added romance that would add to story lines and add plot twists and just further develop the story as a whole. Although I haven’t seen many detective shows, only really a few episodes, these trailers have made me curious and now I really want to watch some.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Out of the trailers above the most interesting yet simple one I like the most was Law and order. I am a huge crime and detective lover, reasons being that my dad is a cop and I have grown up watching them. I would have to say my favorite show out of most of the crime shows I have seen is Criminal Minds.I love the consistent characters but the different case each time. After seeing all of the trailers I would love to look into Psych!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The trailer that stood out to me that was my favorite is the trailer for Psych. It seemed very comical and not like your average mystery show. The show looks to be something very unique and that you would not get bored like some other mystery shows tend to do. Also it is not your usual detective show so it stands out and gives you a new side to the mystery/detective genre.

    ReplyDelete
  27. (Jaquelyn Sanchez)
    The only show/movie I've seen in this collection (that I'm entirely sure I've seen before) is Psych. I was kind of young when it aired and my parents watched it, but from what I could remember, it was good (the theme song is certainly catchy). I've never seen or heard of the Sherlock TV special (even when it was popular back in 2014-2016 or so), but it's interesting to see Cumberbatch portray Sherlock like he was in the original novels. I expected to enjoy the small snippet of Criminal Intent, but it just felt like it was missing something that made the original and SVU feel whole (I think it was because I didn't really feel an emotional connection to the characters? Then again, I probably shouldn't judge the show based off a 3 minute clip). Finally, I have a recommendation for you guys: if you like absurdist humor with a side of cop procedural, I suggest Angie Tribeca (and by absurdist I mean really absurd).

    ReplyDelete
  28. I definitely felt at home watching the Law and order clip because I am so used to sitting down and binge-watching several episodes at a time. My dad would either turn to the original Law and Order or USA would be playing episode after episode of SVU. My favorite of all of the clips was definitely the second Sherlock Holmes trailer. If felt like a mystery that I would be hooked on, especially over Psych and Columbo.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Of the ones that are listed I think that my favorite is Psych. I used to watch it as a kid with my older brother. I enjoyed trying to solve the mystery before Shawn Spencer could figure it out. I also liked how it a lot funnier then stereotypical detective shows. Other detective shows that I like are CSI, Criminal Minds and House MD. I know that most people wouldn't consider House MD a detective show, but I would classify it as one mainly because in most episodes Dr. House has to try and figure out what illness a patient has or how to cure someone. He has to use clues and evidence to come to a conclusion. Along with CSI, I enjoy the scientific explanations in House MD of what happened to the victim/patient.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have to say that Law and order really stuck out to me personally, although it is something I've watched in the past at, oh say 12 o'clock at night? The seriousness of it all is always alluring and keeps me hooked in especially because it feels almost real, like you are solving a real murder mystery and that is the fun part. oh no is it late if its 12:04? probably ...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Law and Order is always a thrill to watch! Like criminal minds, we really get to dive deep into the crime and minds of the offenders. It’s one of those shows you can’t stop watching. Another show I really love that isn’t on this list is The Alienist. Set back in time, the story surrounds 3 individuals who set on an exploration to solve a doreen of murders and find the culprit. Being so long ago, technology and finding the bad guy was as hard as finding a needle in a hay stack. Overall, crime and mystery is THE BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Out of all the shows and movies that were shown I have to say my favorites are Psych and Sherlock Homes with Robert Downy Jr. Psych is one of my favorite TV shows because of the mystery and comedy in the show. The Sherlock Homes movies with RDJ are one of my favorites because I like the scene when he is thinking and everything slows down and you get to see how he is thinking of everything. I love watching mystery shows and movies because I like to figure out who did it or what happened before it is reveled and I also like the intricate thinking that the detectives have to use to solve the crime .

    ReplyDelete
  33. My favorite detective shows are definitely Psych and Sherlock Holmes (with Benedict Cumberbatch). I have only seen Psych myself and really enjoy how the show puts you in the eyes of Spencer and what he is able to see using the same evidence as those in the police department (plus I really enjoy the comedic aspects of the show as well). I have never seen Sherlock Holmes however it looks like a really good show and one that would be sure to grab by attention.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love movies/ books based on solving mysteries. The Sherlock tv show was a classic and the movie version was one of my favorites. I enjoy looking for the clues with the character and watching the mystery unravel. I liked all of these trailers but I think my favorite or the one I am most interested in is Miss Fisher's because it is so rare to see a detective story with a woman as the lead. I am definitely going to go watch more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not sure why this website is not posting my name. This was my post :)
      -Eve Dzygryniuk

      Delete
  35. My favorite shows are Law and Order: Criminal Intent and SVU. I grew up watching these and many other shows. My Aunt has watched these because she has been studying criminology and criminal justice and I would see the different cases and stories completely hooked. Now on my free time I will spend a whole day watching crime shows and movies. I really enjoy seeing how the detectives solve these cases and how the criminals mind works.

    ReplyDelete