Friday, October 8, 2021

WORDS ARE LIFE

 

"Don't get upset by what he said.  They're only words." 

 Does this statement, or any close variation of it sound familiar to you?  How many of you embrace it as your own philosophy?  How many of you would like to give the speaker a nice, firm sock in the arm?  Well, I am going to start this post here by making a bold statement.  Here it goes: Whether you acknowledge it to be true or not, your words have power.  Lots of it.  You may not feel very powerful when you utter them, but they are, as the great English proverb tells us, "Mightier than the sword."

Now, allow me to explain and expand.  For some, the words of others don't sting as much as they will for others, but whether you are tough as nails or a marshmallow when it comes to matters of the heart, those to whom you communicate may not fall into your same category.
For this reason, being a thoughtful, empathetic, yet clear communicator is a precious skill--especially for those of you who plan to be in any form of upper management.  The best leaders in any industry got there because they knew how to communicate.  They were aware of the great power of their words, and they used that power with skill and wisdom.

If not everyone receives the same words in the same spirit, then how do we become astute at the great art of communication?  Well, the answer is in the question:  it is an art, so we practice.  We test the waters.  Observe more than just verbal communication/language.  We communicate who we are to others in many different ways and within many unique nuances.  Reading people --really taking the time and presence of mind to actively listen to not just what they say but how they say it--can really tell you a lot.

In year one and year two of the IB Language and Literature, Diploma Program, we have already done a lot of communicating with one another in various groups and partnerships, as well as all together on our blog.  As Markus Zusak wrote in his masterpiece, The Book Thief, "words are life," figuratively and quite literally.  Combinations of letters create words, the arrangement of words create sentences, these sentences convey meaning.  What the recipient does with that meaning--how they deconstruct it--builds and tears down elements of their very character.  That's power!

This year, you will continue to have many opportunities to observe and learn from each other's communication styles, and practice wielding your language "sword."  The spoken and written word both have their moment on the world's stage, and whether their influence is felt on a small or large scale, it is a moment that carries power for the listener: a moment in the ears can lead to a lifetime on the heart.  In his novel The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfus writes: "Words can light fires in the minds of men; words can wring tears from the hardest hearts."  See?  I'm not the only literary person to make those bold statements.

In the link below, you will have the opportunity to read Cat Thompson's article, The Power of Language.  Read through it, maybe even commit some of it to memory as a resource to use when you communicate.  See what happens!

You are powerful.  Whether written or spoken, your words carry the power to build someone up and bring life, or tear them down and bring death.

Just like that mighty sword the English were talking about.

Directions for your response post:
1.  Read the short article by clicking the link HERE.  Then, reflect on what you learned, and what most resonates with you on the topic.  
2.  Go through the quotes below about words and their power.  Pick a favorite, type it up in your post, and write about why it was your favorite.  I would LOVE to hear your thoughts...in your own words.

Quotes about language/words: 
The idea that language has great power is nothing new!  But words by themselves only have as much power as we allow them.  Even though our modern society is much more sensitized and defensive in nature (we seem to have lost the art to debate and replaced it with the great art of mudslinging in the public arena), in ancient times and during the Renaissance, the power of our language was acknowledged, admired, and celebrated.  Here are a few famous quotes, including those collected from Proverbs in the Bible and the great bard, Shakespeare, himself...







71 comments:

  1. What I learned from the article is that being concise with only the most important detail is the most effective way of speaking. Don't reference others when you know your talking about yourself. Be specific, be concise and be effective. What resonates with me is that I feel like I could learn from this. I usually do ramble on about non-specific topics which I feel disengages people from the conversation. I could use these tips to have more engaging conversations.
    "Words are free. It's how you use them, that may cost you."
    This is my favorite quote because it is 100% true. You can say and do whatever you want, you are completely in control of your actions. Yet all of your actions have consequences and if your not able to pay for those consequences then you shouldn't be saying those words.
    - Noah Preciado

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first impression from reading the article was not to be vague about my words. I don't beat around the bush a lot when talking, but there can be sometimes when I mess up and don't say exactly what I'm thinking. And As someone who thinks a lot in the span of a few seconds, it's incredibly hard to focus on one thing and stay on that specific topic before I start to get bored and want to change up the conversation- which also makes my words not so clear. The article is very helpful when realizing that when this happens, it causes a lot of confusion and can potentially offend the person I am trying to talk to. Being more clarifying and centering back is really helpful. My favorite quote among the others was probably the "Done to death by slanderous tongue". I didn't really vibe with any of the other quotes if I'm being honest- but this one stuck out a lot. It vibes really well with the article. Being careful with your words in a way, and how if you speak out without thinking it through then someone can get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Javier M.
    The thing that most resonates with me from the article is when it talks about manipulation and vagueness. People constantly use them when communicating. They’re used to hide intent like when asking for help, and when we want to shrink from responsibility. This resonates with me because it’s something most people, myself included, have been guilty of in our lives. The best thing to do when speaking to people is be clear and concise.
    My favorite quote was “Words can inspire. And words can destroy. Choose your’s well.” By Robin Sharma. This is because it is true and has been proven true throughout human history. Words have inspired billions to do great good like the peaceful protests in India against the British Raj, but have also been used to cause great harm and suffering like Hitler inspiring hatred and aggression in the German populace before and during World War 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned that when you use your words you should be more confident. Direct and honest language is more useful when asking for something and creates a more enthusiastic relationship between you and the other person. To make sure that conversations are clear, avoid vague verbiage and ask questions to make sure both parties understand. It is also more useful to speak with fewer words but more intention put into the words. I resonate the most with the last one, I tend to not speak a lot but I typically only speak when I feel I need to. The quote I chose was “Be careful with your words, once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten.” I like this quote because it can relate to everyone. People say things to each other, that isn’t always the nicest, and when those words spoken leave an impression on us we tend not to forget. We can forgive them for what they have said but we can’t forget because it’ll always leave an impression on us.
    -Jade Lindgren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah Emmett
    In the article, the power of the word "I" was discussed. What resonate with me most about it was not only can the word "I" speak volumes to others but also yourself.
    My favorite quote from above was "Be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten." The phrase forgive and forget was always something I never quite understood so this quote stating that while you can forgive someone it's way hard and sometimes impossible to forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joslyn Horning, Year 1

    Power of Words
    1. The most impactful part of the article is when it discusses how the words we use to filter what we say can turn into rambling. I tend to be one to ramble out of the fear that the listener will not understand what I am trying to communicate. The idea that if I over explain my ideas can lead to boredom was interesting.
    2. “Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.” (Rumi) This was my favorite quote because my interpretation of it is that relationships are formed through communication and during a dispute, words should be used to heal that relationship not yelling or fighting. The thunder can represent the mal intent of words we say to one another but those words are meant to hurt the other person not to effectively communicate anything. Choosing words that allow for growth and a mature conversation represent rain which will allow the relationship or person to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth Day, Year 1

    1. What I learned from this article was that the use of “I” in a sentence can come out wrong depending on what word you use after it. For example, “I want” can be changed to “I have”. The phrase “I have” sounds better because it does not make you sound needy.
    Another thing I learned from this article is that having a clear sentence that makes sense allows people to understand you better. That was an obvious one for me, but may not be for others. Also, don’t be vague or ambivalent with your words because having misleading words or words that can mean different things than what you are trying to say can make your readers/listeners confused. Watch how long and how many words you use in a sentence because if you use too much it can make the readers/listeners lost. Make sure your sentence(s) are straight to the point. Finally, don’t be afraid of updating your word choices. While you’re updating your words make sure they are used correctly and make sense in your phrase/sentence.
    2. One of the quotes below that is my favorite is said by Robin Sharma. He says, “Words can inspire. And words can destroy. Choose yours well.” This quote is my favorite because it is so true and especially to me. Sometimes I say something and it comes out wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicole Peters, Year 1

    From the article, I learned that language is one of the most important components of society. Language is used to define oneself and using it in different ways affects not only the speaker but also the people around them. Something that stuck out to me was the power of “Conscience Language”. The environment that someone grows up in heavily influences how someone speaks and the words they use and how specifically they use them. The environment where someone grew up can be easily reflected by the way in which they speak and compose themselves. The quote I chose was, “Words have a magical power. They can either bring the greatest happiness or the deepest despair.” written by Sigmund Freud. I found this specific quote interesting because the way in which someone uses words and the tone they use can affect everyone around them. Whether it’s a positive or negative concept. For example, complimenting someone can easily make someone feel happy and make their day. On the other hand, saying something rude or disrespectful can lead to offending someone or making someone feel lower than someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica Herrera, Year 2

    I learned that most people really don’t understand the true weight of the words that come from our mouth which we often speak carelessly. My favorite quote on words was the C.S. Lewis one. I feel that in my generation specifically, the “word inflation” is a major block in our communication skills. Constant exaggeration of minor things for the purpose of entertainment and overemphasis for dramatic effect has left the meaning of even the strongest words, weak due to overuse, so I feel that quote to be “very” relevant to an issue I’m passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hana Trom, Year 1

    I learned that our words are powerful and the significance of I. We may not realize that a simple phrase could actually resonate with someone. I learned that being honest could help better a relationship with someone rather than making up an excuse. My favorite word is “I’ll try.” This is my favorite because I say it a lot and the meaning was very accurate. I am guilty of not taking blame for something or trying to make excuses for why something wasn’t my fault, so I could relate to this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marley Grjegian, Year 1

    "The topic that resonates with me most is the "Using language to manipulate is costly in terms of energy.” I love to find sneaky ways to get what I want without the other person knowing that I'm getting what I want. I usually use these with my friends for simple stuff like asking them to give me snacks when I'm hungry if I'm busy, but I feel like if I did more research I could find specific ways to manipulate anyone, even people who don't know me. “Using direct and honest language frees up that energy to be more playful and present with those you love." If I can just match that attitude that I want to receive to the person I want to receive it from, I feel like I can be very persuasive.

    “Words. So powerful. They can crush a heart, or heal it. They can shame a soul, or liberate it. They can shatter dreams, or energize them. They can have an obstetric connection, or invite it. They can create defenses, or melt them. We have to use words wisely.” - J Brown The first three sentences are the sentences in the quote that impacted me most. Words are so powerful that you most likely never forget them. There are usually positive or negative intentions when using words. So if you try to include figurative language with these words it may take away from the intention that you are using the words for. This could make the words impact confusing when trying to understand what they intended the word to mean. (This blog post was very fun for me to write that's why it's a little bit longer than usual LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gabriel Kreuzer, Year 2

    I really enjoyed this week's blog topic, as I believe that often times the importance of word choice is often overlooked. Inside of my Theory of Knowledge class, we have been discussing how language can affect the individual and what they are particularly suited for and can do. A language containing more numbers and exact amounts tends to produce more students who excel in math and I believe that the language that is used could also affect a person's ability. A negative attitude may ultimately lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy rather than making a true statement in itself. My favorite quote from this week has to be Proverbs 12:18 as the statements about how the tongue can be both sweet and cruel is a very prevalent topic in today's world and even later on in the Bible in James 3. I personally am very connected to Christianity and have even taken a hand at leading several messages at my church. (I am sorry if this gets a bit into my religion). Inside of his chapter, it talks about how no man can tame the tongue despite us being able to tame/ master everything else. I personally know the power of positive words but in the end, according to James later in the chapter, a tongue that yields both positive and negative is still negative because it falls short of the glory of God. I sincerely believe in the healing power of words as they can be like honey and I believe the best way to help show that is through the cutting out of negative verbiage inside of everyday vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darby Slack, Year 2

    The article taught me that words have far more power on ourselves and others than I thought. The idea that picking the least, but most effective, words will help you better communicate was interesting to see solidified into words. The part of the article that resonated most with me was the power my words have on myself. I am not the nicest person to myself, so I thought it was interesting to see that the way I talk about myself may have an impact on how I perceive myself. The quote that stood out to me the most was: “Words have a magical power. They can either bring the greatest happiness or the deepest despair.” -Sigmund Freud. This quote stood out to me as I have always been a reader. The quote may not be directly about reading; however, it reminds me of the emotional roller coasters I have experienced when I am transported to another world through a book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Celeste Dillon, Year 2

    1. There is so much power behind language and when becoming more aware of this to make conscious insightful how we express ourselves and interpret others. What really resonated with me in this article is the power of I because it shows others other you define yourself and these I statement can either create happiness or conflict among others. The I statement can also be very encouraging to yourself to keep pushes through what is happening and that I got this and I can do this mindset.
    2. The quote that I liked was " Be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten." This quote is my favorite because the moment you say a harsh word to someone they may forgive you but they will never forget the words said but also how they felt when those harsh words were said. It always goes back to the saying " if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." The words people say can have a lasting impact on people either good or bad so always be careful with the words you are speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ella Pedersen, Year 2

    After reading this intriguing article on word choice and language, I can to the realization that I do not always give thought to my words. I thought it was interesting how they explained that words are automatic and most times we don’t actually think about what we are saying. Words hold so much importance and the fact that as a society we do not consider how much power they hold is an issue. Reflecting on the article, I need to truly think before I speak and consider the impact that my words hold.


    The quote that stands out to me is “Be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten.” This quote is so powerful as I can think back to numerous things that people have said to me throughout the span of life that impacted me on a deeper level. Looking back, especially on the harsh words said about me, I still can feel pain from the words of other people. Words are powerful and each one needs to be intentional.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Allyson Quigley, Year 2

    As for the quote I choose the last one as it resonates with me a lot. Many people seem to hide behind big words but when there is an actual big event, there are no words to describe it. It is almost like crying wolf, you use these big words so much that when there is actually a need for them no one takes you seriously anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jared Mamaradlo, Year 1

    I think I could relate to the power of “I” most of the time because I would always feel confident with myself when using that word but then again I could feel less confident by the way I say “I”. For example, I would say “I know” which is a strength I have while whenever I say “I don't know” is more of a weakness. It all depends on what I feel or I desire to say. One quote I was very inspired by was from Kushandwizdom and that person said “Words are free. It's how you use them, that may cost you.” This quote was very true and accurate since everyone uses words from different meanings including me. You could use words the way you want to express yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Charleigh Wilson, Year 2

    I found it interesting how the article mentioned that we take words and language for granted which threw me for a second because I had never thought of it in that context before. I think I’m general all the information in the article are things I’ve heard or read before, but it was good to take a moment and ponder them completely. Words really do make up our whole world, literally and figuratively in the sense of words people say to us. This article really helped emphasize the power we have as human beings who have words and language to communicate with one another.
    The quote I chose was “Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder” - Rumi. I really like this quote because it again goes back to the impact our words have on people, but it also adds another layer with the tone of voice. My mom always said it’s not what you say, it’s how you say it. Words are just words until we add some sort of emotional connotation to them, but sometimes we add the wrong feeling. Yelling or raising your voice can’t communicate the words, no matter how compelling, as effectively as simply speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Christella Santiago, Year 2

    After reading the article, the aspect that resonates most with me is the idea that speaking is a “self-fulling prophecy”. I found it interesting how the article took on a more selfish perspective on communication as it said mentioned how people use language to fuel their own powerful desires. In contrast, I've always believed communication was a two-way street where both people involved in a conversation had equal power. In this instance, it states how language at its core is somewhat selfish. I do think this perspective is helpful because it empowers people to use language in a way that can help them come across as confident and strong. I will be taking with me the lessons I've learned from the Vague and Ambivalence section because I feel as though I'm a person who tends to be very vague and not to the point. I want to try to be more assertive in my language instead of being vague.



    “Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.”

    I found this quote to be the most interesting because it is very easy for us to get emotional when conveying strong feelings through words and sometimes we are quick to forget how our words can be used in a non-aggressive way. In most cases, being smart with your words instead of with your emotions can have more of an impact than we believe it can. Using your words can have such a greater impact than short-tempered emotions. I'm a strong believer that communication goes so much farther than people being angry with each other. furthermore, I loved the metaphor of flowers growing which can symbolize consensus or agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I actually got a fair amount from the article, it was really interesting. I liked the way the author analyzed language and the use of it in modern society. There were many aspects of language I never gave much thought covered in this article and it was certainly eye opening. These are some quotes from the article that really stood out to me, “Because words are so often used automatically and unconsciously, we have learned to treat them lightly.”...“You may be unconsciously diffusing your words to be more acceptable to others. Do some soul-searching to assess whether your need to be accepted is overriding your ability to own your ideas and assert your own power”...“When you no longer waste words by using them as “filler,” the words you do speak will have more power behind them.” The article made me realize that I do tend to dampen my words as a way to protect myself or others feelings but it may be doing more harm than good. I was struggling to choose between 2 quotes but decided on the quote by Sigmund Freud, "words have a magical power. They can either bring the greatest happiness or the deepest despair." I completely agree with this and it’s something that I have reflected on before. Our words can change people’s lives, for better or worse. Our words hold great power, they can heal or hurt. Something we have said may stick with someone for the rest of their lives. We need to be more conscious of the way we speak to someone and what it is we say.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carol Young, Year 2

    "From the article, I've learned that the word "I" has a much greater value and importance in meaning when in regular conversation and in more formal areas. The part that resonates with me the most is the vagueness since I use a lot of it since I feel like vagueness gives me a bit of freedom, the "I'll try" example was a perfect example of how I would use it.
    The quote that I like the most is 'Words are free. It's how you use them that may cost you' and I just really like that quote since it really shows how we take words for granted and if we're not careful it can really hurt us or other people."

    ReplyDelete
  22. Olivia Elledge, Year 1

    The topic of the blog post and the article caused me to really think about the meaning of words and not just saying words but injecting purpose and meaning into everything you say. It reminds me of what parents always warn you that something shouldn't be said if you don't mean it and it is important to know that words hurt just as much as sticks and stones.
    The quote that resonated with me the most was what C.S. Lewis said, " Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say ' infinitely' when you mean 'very'; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something truly infinite." This reminds me that words have meaning, connotations, and appropriateness in a conversation. A word out of place is a word out of meaning. It reminds me of that quote from dead poets society that says, "avoid using the word 'very' because it's lazy. A man is not very tired, he is exhausted. Don't use very sad, use morose. Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women - and, in that endeavor, laziness will not do." Words are beautiful tools that are free to use and to create wonderful works with, it just takes intention.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tatum Aguilar, Year 1

    The piece that resonated with me the most from the article was the section titled “Vagueness and Ambivalence”. This section discussed the way people tend to subtly send the message that we may or may not follow through on the given statement. An example that struck me was the phrase “I’ll try”. It made me realize how often I use this same phrase and evaluate whether I follow through when this statement is made. This contributed to the lesson that I need to begin using direct statements instead of vague and indecisive ones.
    “Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit”. This quote was my personal favorite, as it connects the previous ideas to a valuable lesson to be learned by individuals everywhere. When we use words and phrases that are vague, misconceiving, manipulative, or exaggerated, we have the power to affect someone else’s emotions for better or for worse. It makes the reader, myself included, realize that language is a powerful tool that can strengthen or weaken someone or something, and this power should not be taken lightly. Instead, we should use clear, concise language that is kind to inspire rather than crush.

    ReplyDelete
  24. David DeLaRosa, Year 2

    What I learned from the article is that what we say has more meaning to others than ourselves even if we don’t realize it. Such as saying phrases such as I’ll try having a more negative connotation of yourself. Additionally, I learned how important it is to know when to use I as it leads to personal statements which may influence one's decisions and attitude. Lastly, I learned how more words don’t mean more interesting or powerful, in fact, it may be quite the opposite such as the Gettysburg Address. The quote from Proverbs 12:18 I thought was interesting as I feel it is a variation of the popular saying of “think before you speak.” Due to how the quote states that the tongue of a wise in other words a thinker heals people while the opposite hurts people like a sword would which emphasizes how important it is to think before you speak which is why I like this quote.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Allyson Bill, Year 2

    1. I have learned a surprising amount from this article. As someone who generally has trouble with basic conversation, I found a lot of these concepts to be very interesting. I have found that using clear and focused language is very effective and can also improve the quality and focus of the conversation, as opposed to being vague or uncertain.
    2. My favorite quote is probably "Be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten." -Unknown. It is my belief that the concept of forgiving but not forgetting is incredibly important. I am the type of person that overthinks a lot about what people say to and about me, and while I will always forgive people for their words, they will always remain in my mind, coming back to haunt me when I'm at my lowest points. It is important to take great caution when considering your words, as they can cut incredibly deep, even though they may seem to have had no effect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Elizabeth Vazquez, Year 1

    From reading the article, I learned a lot about how easy it is to manipulate someone with the words we use and how powerful a simple "I" word use is. I discovered how simple questions and responses can manipulate someone into doing or saying something such as "What are you doing Saturday?" I believe manipulation and verbal runoff resonates the most with me. I tend to not go straight to the point at times and can leave the listener to either leave in confusion or not listen to my main point in my response. I also tend to manipulate people without knowing I'm doing so because I tend to ask favors at times and tend to get what people have in their heads to say out loud (manipulating them to do so). My favorite quote out of the rest was "Be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten." I'm obsessed and love this quote because this truly applies to me and how I view verbal use. I always have other people's comments and words stuck with me for years and vice versa. They also keep my words stuck with them, negative or positive. Asking for forgiveness is truly the only solution when it comes to words because the impact the words had on someone will always make them remember.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Madeleine Emmons, Year 1

    In reflecting, I never really understood the impact of the word “I”, and the words following can have on a person. I’m guilty of constantly saying “I’ll try”, and not having much confidence in myself. This article has really allowed me to reflect and decide to commit to myself and the words I speak. The idea that saying “I am” impacts a person’s perception of themselves, is an idea that really resonates with me. Humans constantly say “I am” and follow it as a negative statement, and honestly I am also guilty of using these statements to bring myself down when I feel I have failed someone. However, I feel more self-aware and desire to be cautious with my words and how they can impact my viewpoint of myself.

    The quote that feels impactful to me is “Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit” Proverbs 15:4 NLT. This quote also brings in the aspect of eliminating self-hate through words and revolves back around how I desire to be more careful of how I speak about myself. The fact that this quote comes from the Bible, is also a personal aspect I love about it. I often dedicate myself to understanding and following the Bible, as a Christian, so it is nice to agree with words that come from an important part of life.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Renae Schmucker, Year 2

    The impact I got from this article is that I need to be more expressive about my true intentions without beating around the bush or being vague. The only thing that’ll do will harm the point I’m trying to make. Oftentimes I’m not very direct with my words because of the worry of offending someone or saying something “out of line,” which is usually unreasonable and unnecessary. Basically I just need to be more direct and mindful with my words and not tiptoe around when I’m trying to say something.

    One of my favorite quotes was “Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.” I find that so intriguing and a concept that opposes values in today’s world. Very often we’re told that if we want to be heard, we need to be loud, make sure people can hear us whether they want to or not, but sometimes that doesn’t always work. Being mindful with the words you use and not using them aggressively can be more helpful to the situation, depending on the circumstances. I also love the comparison to rain and thunder, it helps to visualise the delivery of the words and how harshly they can be used.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Taylor Alger, Year 1

    I learned that people use their words to manipulate others. They may not even realize it, but sometimes we use words to trap people into corners. This helped me be more aware of when I do this and try to fix it.

    The quote I chose was. "O, that my tongue were in the thunder's mouth! Then with a passion I shake the world". This quote emphasizes the power of words. Thunder is usually associated with power. In Greek mythology, the king of the gods was Zeus, who was the god of thunder. Words can be used to hurt people or they can be used for good. They can be a very powerful tool.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My favorite part of the article was when it spoke about avoiding using our words in a way that could hurt others. I think it is very important to be conscious of what we say and to be mindful before we speak. Sometimes as humans we tend to accidentally or intentionally emotionally harm people because of what we choose to say. It is a good practice to always think before you speak :)
    My favorite quote from above is "Be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten". I think this quote is immensely powerful because I very much understand what it is trying to communicate. I have been hurt in the past by what others have said to me, and I know first-hand how difficult it can be to let these words go. It is so easy for me to remember the harshest criticisms, yet it is difficult to remember the most endearing compliments. Words have so much power and influence over my own life, that I want to ensure that I practice mindfulness while dealing with others. It is important to be compassionate and kind, and using words that are uplifting and positive will most likely accomplish more good than using negative words.

    ReplyDelete
  31. From the article, I learned that I need to hold more power in the words I say and that I tend to water down my words like the examples given at the beginning whenever I do talk with others. By exchanging such statements with more powerful ones, I can possibly give myself more confidence and help myself mentally. “Be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten.” This one is my favorite because it really connected to me because there have been many times where someone has said something that hurt and while in my head I would forgive them, I usually never forget. And perhaps I’ve unpurposefully done that as well, but sometimes you never know.
    -Danae Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  32. The article has shown to me that specific words that relate to each other can have different meanings when applied in a certain context. The quote "Words are free. It's how you use them, that may cost you." helps me understand that although words such as "imply" and "tell" have the same meaning, they can be taken as a different type of meaning to the reader as they are put in a different context in the sentence.
    -Lukas Miskov

    ReplyDelete
  33. The article has taught me about the importance of word choice. Words should not be taken lightly and have a great impact no matter your intent.
    My favorite quote from above would have to be, "Words. So powerful. They can crush a heart, or heal it. They can shame a soul, or liberate it. They can shatter dreams, or energize them. They can obstruct connection, or invite it. They can create defenses, or melt them. We have to use words wisely." I am grateful to have many friends who value what I say, and trust me enough to come and talk to me when needed. I focus a lot on being graceful and saying what comes from my heart. Words are definitely so extremely powerful and are capable of so many things. I find it so beautiful when this power is used in a positive light. I just love to love people, and make sure they know they're loved. I've seen many situations where the wrong words have broken relationships. It is important to be aware and objective.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Xavier Trujillo Year 1

    What resonates mostly with me after reading the article would be verbal runoff. Personally I tend to use to many words in my oral communication and I end up taking way to much time to get to the actual point. By doing this I may end up sounding boring which is something I despise and wish to avoid at all times. I will begin to practice enduring silence and evaluating my words choices to get to the point quicker and make more meaningful conversation. "Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder" I love this quote so much purely because in itself it has such a delicate word choice and I don't know how to describe it but something about it resonates with me.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Madeline St. Louis, Year 1

    The section of the article titled, "Manipulation and Coercion" most resonated with me, and I learned that people will oftentimes change or manipulate a sentence in order to get the desired response from someone. I learned that changing the question/ statement to be more direct will lead to a higher level of fun and enthusiasm between people. The quote I find most important is " Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit." This quote is highlighting the importance of using kind words to lift somebody up rather than hurting them with words.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Aubrey Montgomery, Year 1

    What I learned from the article is that the way a person phrases a sentence or uses certain words in order to get the right point across. People also change sentences in order to get the response they want. A language is a powerful tool used very often. What resonated with me the most was the tips at the end that they wrote to help the reader understand that power language has.

    From the quotes, this stood out to me, “Be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten.” This one stood out to me the most because once something is said you can't take it back. People can forgive you because everyone makes mistakes but what you said will never be forgotten by others. Words have a lot of power.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wyatt Perez, Year 2

    What resonated with me the most was essentially just the namesake of the article, how much power there really is in language and how we use it. I never really thought about how we unconsciously choose our words and what they could represent to others. Being more mindful about our word choices can have a direct correlation to how our bodies and attitudes react.

    “Words are free. It’s how you use them that may cost you.” This one had the most impact out of the ones I read. It just made the concept of speaking have so much more meaning and depth than just talking. It connects with so many other quotes about language's power to give or take away. How you speak to someone or to yourself can have major effects on you and/or them. It’s important to be mindful and choose kindness so that when you speak to someone, there is no cost, only repayment.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Alyssa Fine, Year 2

    The article brought me to understand that we have taken away the power of our own words in the way we unconsciously and unpurposefully use them every day. Many of us no longer speak from a place of clear intent, and this is why communication has become so difficult for recent generations. To have effective, meaningful communication, we need to make our intentions known in the way that we present our thoughts and in the actions that we back them up with. The part that resonates most with me from the article is that words convey the confidence we hold in ourselves and can unconsciously turn into action. One example is the use of the phrase “I’ll try,” which the author argues is essentially giving ourselves permission to fail. I’ve never thought of it this way, but it is so true. The phrasing we use can allow us to make excuses for ourselves and change our entire mindset. If we can adapt our language, we can change our attitudes and our willingness to push through challenging situations.


    My favorite quote out of the selection is: “Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.” -Rumi. I really really love this quote. When I think about all of the times that someone’s words have truly impacted me, it has always been because of the content they shared and the intent behind it. It has never been because they raised their voice or emphasized what they had to say. It’s their words and their clear purpose that resonated in my heart and mattered to me. This quote shows that we won’t impact people by changing our volume or tone; we can only change minds and hearts by changing the content of what we have to say. Words are powerful. Our words and the purpose behind them matter.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Kristy Gagliardi, Year 2

    After reading the article by Cat Thompson, I have learned quite a few new deep-level processing ideas. Thompson shares ideas about how specific word choices can change how a person understands another and why it is important to always be conscious rather than unconscious of our words when we communicate. There was a specific section of the article that resonated with me on a personal level, it was under 'Verbal Runoff,' and these two paragraphs discussed how it is important to keep your words and length of sentences short. Thompson goes further saying how this is a way to have more a powerful and meaningful impact on others when a person uses this technique. I can relate to this on a personal level because I have always had a difficult time speaking, more specifically, communicating what I want to say that is in my brain, to the outside world and into other people's minds. The way that I subconsciously get through this, is by over-explaining and over communicating. But this usually results in confusion that could be avoided if I had gone straight to the point and not try (and usually fail) to explain every reason I had for what I was thinking. What I learned in this article is very helpful in everyday life with communicating and conversing with people in any situation. I enjoyed the article and appreciate that you shared it with us, I think I may be a more successful communicator if I implement these in my life.

    Words are free. It's how you use them, that may cost you.
    This is my favorite quote that you have shared with us, this quote stood out to me because I love the meaning behind it. I interpret the quote to mean (starting with "words are free") that initially speaking and saying what a person wants to say is free, there is nothing stopping a person from saying what they want to say. People are physically able to say what they want to, unless they have a condition where they are mute, without any personal physical restraint. But the ending of the quote contains the deepest meaning, "its how you use them, that may cost you," alludes to the fact that although a person is able to say whatever they want to without "charge", these words may lose friendships or start wars or create destruction in any way. Hence, how the seemingly 'free' words of a person can end up 'costly.'

    ReplyDelete
  40. Jasmine Redfield Lagos, Year 1

    The topic resonated because words have a significant impact on whoever is listening. I learned that no matter how subtle, the way in which we use words can send off different messages to the listener which means that in order to get a point across clearly and effectively there must be direct and with conviction. Word is a tool to express ourselves and communicate with others but when we use vagueness it allows for a gateway to not do what we say. I noticed that I do that a lot although sometimes it’s not intentional, sometimes I say things that I don’t intend to do and I use ambiance to do so. This article made me realize that to be credible I have to use conviction when I speak which gave me more perspective when I interact with others. My favorite quote was “Words are free. It’s how you use them that may cost you.” I liked this quote because freedom of speech has given us the ability to express ourselves but with that, we sometimes don’t consider others and how the use of our words may hurt people and affect relationships. Even though we can say something this quote makes us stop and reconsider how we use them.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Bree Dickson, Year 1

    What I have learned from the article is that language should be used to directly communicate what the speaker is saying. This allows for communication to be clear, understandable, and congruently purposeful in its iteration. The importance of directness and the lack of it stood out to me the most. Indirectness or “beating around the bush” is often used as a form of manipulation and entrapment to get someone to agree to do something. This caught my attention because I have begun to observe manipulation tactics in myself, others, and the media.

    My favorite quote is “O, that my tongue were in the thunder’s mouth! Then with a passion would I shake the world” (Shakespeare). This stood out to me the most because of its use of figurative language. The personification of thunder goes against one of the ideas in the article about using direct language; despite the flaws of vagueness and indirectness, the figurative language used here allows for the reader to understand what the author is saying. It helps provide a different perspective on language and its purpose in different situations.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Allyson Mills, Year 1

    When reflecting, I found that words can hold so much power and how you choose to use them determines the effect they have on others and yourself. Being aware of the words you choose to say and how you say them can alter the meanings and how your words come across to others. I've also realized when reading this article that more often than not, words can be so negative to not just myself but sometimes to others. I found that it is extremely important to be cautious and careful with how I speak to others.

    My favorite quote was, "Words have a magical power. They can either bring the greatest happiness or the deepest despair" by Sigmund Freud. This was my favorite quote because I've come to realize that certain words can seriously influence my mood and have heavy impacts on me. It's so true that even with just one word, it could either brighten up your day or make you feel terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Julia Strick, Year 2

    Something that surprised me in the article was what the author defined as "vagueness". When I have used phrasing such as "I'll try" to suggest I'm not confident I'll be successful, I always mean for that to be straightforward so I was surprised to hear that by some it would be considered overly vague, or even purposely manipulative. This is something I can now be more conscious of to make sure I come across clearer.
    My favorite of these quotes is the final quote which talks about being conscious of the intensity of the words you use. I liked this quote because this is a concept I think about a lot. To avoid confusion, I try to watch my hyperboles or at least clarify what I mean after saying them.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Luke LaMar, Year 1

    The thing that I found most resonated with me in the article was when it said to make sure that "I am" statements are positive reinforcement, because "I am" is a declaration to yourself and other people, which is important. Confidence is a very important quality in my eyes and I always try to declare things with confidence and not be half-hearted.

    My favorite quote was from J Brown, and he said "Words. So powerful. They can crush a heart, or heal it. They can shame a soul, or liberate it. They can shatter dreams, or energize them. They can obstruct connection, or invite it. They can create defenses, or melt them. We have to use words wisely." This quote is impactful for me because when I say things I almost always have a purpose. I always want to keep in mind how I'm trying to make people feel. Without purpose, people may think a certain thing or they may interpret what you're saying wrong, and that's bad because miscommunication can destroy relationships and futures.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Kayleigh Kelton, Year 2

    I learned that though I can come off as a very direct (in a rude, bossy way), I also tend to talk in circles. I do usually blame this on a speech impedimen, which is partially true. But I also use it simply as an excuse to avoid reflecting on how I speak. Verbal runoff resonaed most with just because I felt like I could relate with it more han the others.

    My favorite of the given quotes was the one written in Proverbs 15:4 (NLT). "Gentle words bring life and healh, a decietful tongue crushes the spirit. I liked this one most as I am most familiar with it. Proverbs 15 itself talks about thinking before speaking, in a way, and how words can be extrememly hurtful in the way you choose to use them. I liked it as people like to throw words around, and though someitmes it means nothing, othertimes it can deeply hurt a person, I appreciate how Proverbs brings out the importance in ones words. But it goes deeper than that and I feel people take the power of words for granted. Having words that can be so spiritually deep for someone such as those, brings a new light to the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Jeremy Mequi
    In the article I learned how people regularly use words differently from their intended uses, as well as how indirect language can be manipulated/used in different ways. It think the effect of the vagueness of indirect language is important because it can be used in several different ways to mean different things. For example it can be used to lighten responsibility on one's self, while direct language makes one seem more sure. I also thought it was interesting that using more concise language is more powerful that language with plenty of filler (kinda makes me wonder why we sometimes have minimum word limits).

    The quote that stood out to me was "words are free it's how you use them that may cost you". I thought this was interesting because it says a lot about about the freedom of speech we seem to believe so much in. It shows how freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from responsibilities, which people seem to think it means quite often. It serves as a reason to have norms/limiters for what not to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I use indirect speech quite a lot knowing well what I'm really doing

      Delete
  47. Robert Frias, Year 2

    1. My biggest takeaway from the article is that I need to work on my words/language. Vagueness and Ambivalence as well as being more direct, are some things that I know a lot of people have issues with, I especially have trouble expressing myself and talking about what is on my mind when asked and I try to alter my words based on my audience which is good but I don't come off as direct as I would like or I am just too worried about how I sound to the listener, I do think it is very important to tailor what is said for the listener but it is also important to get out what you are saying and allow it to have meaning since language is power.
    2. "Raise your words not your voice. it is rain that grows flowers, not thunder."
    - Rumi
    This quote is my favorite out of the rest for one because it is simple and not complicated but with few words, it has a significant meaning. It is implying that our words have more power over our tone and that we can accomplish more with words, "it is rain that grows flowers" our words can provide healing and growth and we can do so much more with what we say rather than being aggressive. what is significant to me from this quote is that with the right words, we can create something pleasant that lasts like flowers instead of creating a violent moment like thunder.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anders Sabo, Year 2

    From the article, I have learned that I should be much more careful with my word choice to make sure that I am accurately communicating in the correct mood and tone to avoid possible pitfalls in understanding and reasoning. I think that Vagueness and Ambivalence is the issue I struggle with the most, which resonates with me as an urge to improve.
    Of the quotes attached, my favorite would be "Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder." -Rumi, as I believe it represents the delicate nature that words must tend to, and how enough disturbance and distortion within that situation could cause terrible consequences once spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Riley Thompson

    1. I learned that a lot of the things that I say were mentioned in the article and that I should be more direct when I speak. It surprises me how much words can unconsciously impact our whole mindset. I have found that I usually use indirect words because I want to avoid sounding blunt and rude, but after reading this article, I realized that being indirect is not beneficial.

    2. My favorite quote is: “Be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten.” This quote is my favorite because of the truthfulness behind them. All of the quotes are true, but for some reason, this quote jumped out at me as a truth. A lot of the other quotes look at how words can be very powerful, but this specific one looks at how words can never be taken back.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Tristan Schmidt, Year 2

    1. What resonated the most with me is the use of modality in order to convey positively associated ideas that inspire change. Using words like "can" do technically mean that it can be done, but it means a whole lot more to say that it will be done. This personally resonated with me because I try to apply this to my life on a daily basis and will even correct my friends on their usage of modal verbs, usually to their annoyance.

    2. The quote that I like the most is "Words can inspire. And words can destroy. Choose yours well." While what it is saying is true, it is not wholly unique. Pretty much every quote is saying the same thing. However, it is short, and straight to the point. It says only what it needs to say. I also like that it doesn't provide a judgment for which words are good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Jacelle Martinez, Year 1

    After reading the article “The Power of Language”, I have learned that words have more power than we realize. Word choice and the number of words a person uses say a lot about their character. Being specific and concise when conversing is important to have an effective conversation. This resonates with me because I could take these points and apply them to the way I communicate. I tend to be a listener when in conversations and I let the other person do most of the talking. I will keep key points from the article in memory when I communicate.



    “Words. So powerful. They can crush a heart, or heal it. They can shame a soul, or liberate it. They can shatter dreams, or energize them. They can obstruct connection, or invite it. They can create defenses, or melt them. We have to use words wisely.” -J Brown. I chose this quote because of the truth it holds. Words have a great impact on us and that impact is different from person to person. Sometimes we fail to recognize and realize how powerful words can be and it is something we all need to keep in mind on a daily basis, including myself.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Danielle young. I’ve learned that simple day to day words like “try” “I” and “offer”. We forget the connotations that they leave when we saturate them. At first I believed that they were looking too deep into these words but now I can see what weight they hold. What I really liked about this was the last part that gave you tips to talk consciously. I agree with the J brown. J brown showed how words can do two opposites if said differently. This can be related with miscommunication and how it can make or break a situation.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Joseph Barcala, Year 2

    1. I learned how much I do not follow some of the advice at the end of the article I the to talk about the past a lot even when presented with the opportunity to talk about the present and I also am very vague in a lot of my word choice a lot of the time. what really resonated with me was when it talked about how language is a self-fulfilling prophecy as I am a mythology beard(mostly greek) and most stories in greek mythology involving a prophecy the antagonist of the myth always cause their own demise trying to avoid the prophecy so I quickly understood that part.
    2. I really like the quote by Rumi and from what I understood of it, it means that you should focus on your words rather than just become louder because that is the only way to get your point across. I liked this because it reminds me of some of my favorite moments in fiction where the mastermind easily wins by simply antagonizing his opposite making them sloppy and forget another possible take of this quote that you should always keep a level head because anger gets you nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Logan Lunka, Year 2

    After reading this very informative article, I found vagueness and ambivalence to be the most thought provoking. I felt almost called out, when the author discusses how we, "Unconsciously diffuse your word to be more acceptable to others", meaning we distract the true meaning or value of our sentence in order to become generalized and easier to understand or accept. Definitely in the future I would like to think I'd apply this knowledge and consider the true message I'm trying to convey by hitting send, or speaking out loud. It's easy to think that words are just words, however each has a specific detailed meaning that shouldn't be distracted from in order to become acceptable.

    "Words have a magical power, they can either bring the greatest happiness or the deepest despair" (Sigmund Freud). I really enjoy this quote, as quite literally words can switch so easily whether it be based on connotation, tone, and other ranging factors. The word magical is used perfectly because of how words are like a fluid in a constant changing state to which can be "casted" onto anyone anywhere at any given moment. It's important to consider the risks of any sentence used at one another which makes words one of the greatest disparities.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Alex Belanger, Year 2

    From reading the article, the piece that resonated with me the most was her comments on having a direct dialogue with another person rather than beating around the bush. I strongly agree with what she is saying and especially her comment about how being indirect wastes energy that could be better spent on having enthusiasm or other meaningful elements of communication in a relationship.

    Proverbs 12:18 “There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.” I find this comment on the power of words and language to be the most appealing because it seems to draw a difference in value between the usage of words to destroy and the usage of words to heal. By considering that “the tongue of the wise brings healing” it establishes the healing powers of dialogue as something to come only from a wise individual which, at least in the biblical context, is a very valuable trait to have. Attaching the healing words to this rare aspect of positivity is drawn further by contrast in the usage of “one whose rash words…” which describes the use of harsh words as no special or named talent. I believe that the quote establishes a proper balance of value between healing words and destructive words through specific word choices and is thus my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Tiya Pinney, Year 1

    1. I learned that in language we mostly thinking about ourselves and how people will take our words. We don't want to be confused so the best way to get a point across is to be direct and honest. The way we use "I' changes a lot about our own mindset and can help us accomplish things just by changing a few words around.
    2. I really enjoyed the quote "raise your words not your voice, rain grows flowers, not thunder". This inspires me to strengthen my worlds and not just emphazies them. There is no point in being loud with my opinions and statements if I do not have a sensible argument and understanding. I can make something impactful out of my words if I use the right ones and I think that is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Halle White, Year 2

    I found this blog post really interesting. It really made me think about how I use words in my everyday life, whether that be directly or indirectly. This especially made me think about how difficult it is to determine the connotation of a text. Something you mean to come off as positive could come off negative to someone else. This causes me to be more conscious going forward with the words I use, because words stick and it's really hard to forget them.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Ember Bonini, Year 2

    It was interesting to see how when you feel “empowered” you use statements starting with “I” and it’s almost as if how we perceive confidence and almost cockiness in some people can actually just be them feeling empowered. I also learned that as humans, we tend to try and water down our words and make our statements more vague in attempts to avoid conflict as our “super-charged” statements tend to cause conflict. I also learned that some words we say can trick the mind into believing it fully. An example of this in the article they used was the word “want”. When using this word, it makes you feel as if it is permanently out of reach and something you can;t obtain but by just changing the word to “have”, it opens your mind up more. After reading the rest of the article, it was interesting to reflect and see how many of the words I tend to use on a daily basis have such a higher meaning and power than what I thought of before. It makes me feel the need to watch what I say even more closely as even just saying one word can change the meaning of the whole statement.


    “Be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten.” I love this quote. I tend to find this quote so true because although you may forgive someone for what they said in that moment, you can never truly forget what they said. People already tend to remember the negatives more so than the positives so even if someone is having a bad day or is in a mood, what they say when it’s negative resonates with the other person more so than a positive comment. People tend to remember the negatives because they associate a sad or mad feeling along with it. People don't always remember what people say to make them happy but they will remember what people say that make them sad or angry. It can sometimes form a new insecurity for the person or it can make the person question what they said or did to make another react in the way they did. So in the end, this quote makes people have to think before they speak as words can “be forgiven, but not forgotten”.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Carson Fernandez, Year 2

    The idea that the word "I" empowers you was something that was interesting to me. The thought of "I did this" or "I helped that person" comes to my mind in a variety of situations every day, but I never truly took a look at how those thoughts made me feel personally. Thinking about it now, the word "I" as it relates to me personally gives an amazing sense of self-satisfaction and achievement that I've felt before but never contemplated.

    "Words can inspire. And words can destroy. Choose yours well" -Robin Sharma
    I find this quote to be so true. There's a saying, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me", but this is absolutely not true. Words what we use to communicate with those around us. They're how we communicate our feelings and how we can influence people's perception of us and of themselves. Words can build someone up, increase their confidences, make them feel good about themselves. At the same time words can destroy a person, make them feel like they're worthless, that they don't matter, and that no one cares. They can be a tool of both creation and destruction. It is the choice of the speaker to decide how they use that tool.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Nyah Stufkosky, Year 1

    " Proverbs 12:18, "there is one whose rash words are like a sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." I like this quote because I'm a christion and I tend to remember this when I wish to say something that could do more harm than good. Then I remember that I could really damage the other person with what I say." Thank you Mr.Caraway and have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Rebekah Bosc, Year 2

    I learned that we have the opportunity to manipulate and shorten our usage of words in order to make communication and clarity more specific and clear. If we focus on olur intention, we can adjust the tone of our conversation. When wanting something, manipulation is the most effective because it appeals to the emotions, but even then the word choice must be specific and clear. There are many ways to use your words with meaning and a strong direction.
    "Raise your words, not your voice. It is the rain that grow flowers, not thunder" I really like this. I dont know what it is about it but it speaks to me. I think words help people grow and flourish them. The more you raise your voice, the more loud and frightening it becomes. Thunder means there is lightnging, which is a bunch of electrons going off and it is unsafe. If you raise your words, you are lifting people up who are struggling and it is all that everyone needs.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Emmaline Walser, Year 2

    I liked how the article said that your words lose power the more words you use, I hadn’t thought about that before. Everyone has heard that less words can be better, but I don’t think I ever thought about it as a loss of power in your words. Clogging up sentences with filler words can affect how you come across and I think that this article brought that up in an interesting way

    I chose the quote: Proverbs 15:4
    “Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit”

    I really like this one and it's one of my favorite verses to look at for self reflection, it helps me remember that words can carry the power to both make someones day and completely rush someones self esteem for years. However, I like to focus on the first part of the verse. I know words can be bad, but why don't I focus on how good they can be too? I can give someone a compliment, start up a small conversation and ask someone how they’re doing, I can do harm with my words but I can also do great things with them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Brionna Robles, Year 2

    Brionna Robles, Year 2

    1. In the article, the part that resonated with me the most would be the topic of "verbal runoff". As I am a very social person, I find it very enjoyable to talk to people, yet sometimes I end up rambling on. I had never necessarily realized that my running-on could make the conversation lose its meaning and power. Perhaps "short and sweet" might be a better approach to some conversations rather than turning a powerful discussion into a meaningless ramble. 
    2. I feel that the verse from Proverbs 12:18 really calls to me, as it truly is displaying the power of words. Words can easily be soft, tender, and meaningful or they could easily turn harsh and utterly painful. Words manage to get tossed around so easily, yet they can bring so much pain without even knowing it. As I am also a Christian, I find it very reassuring knowing that even God recognizes the strength and power that words can hold. No matter the decade or time period, the simplest of words have always, and will always, hold an immense amount of power. 

    ReplyDelete
  64. Gabriel Ilano, Year 2

    The part of the article that resonated with me the most was the idea of being direct in your choice of language. I don’t like it when people give me an ambiguous answer and I try my hardest to be as definite with my words, which can sometimes come off as blunt. I understand the use of an ambiguous message when avoiding hurting someone's feelings but in all practical matters I’ll be as honest as acceptable.

    The quote that I found the most profound was Freud’s quote about how words can bring out the greatest happiness or deepest despair. It’s not necessarily the words themselves that affect us but the meaning we create out of them, based on what our personal definition of the words chosen are. Words are just a means of getting a thought for one’s mind to another. The vulnerability we have to words can be attributed to how vulnerable we are to others.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Soleil Sanchez, Year 1

    The most interesting aspect that I found from the article was the power that the word ‘I’ has in different aspects of our lives. If you are trying to feel more powerful, and by association build a higher esteem, using the word ‘I’ in positive connotations actually boosts how you feel about yourself. And I think this can also work vice versa, if you do not feel happy with yourself, it can have a negative affect on your self esteem. Repeating phrases will eventually help yourself. And additionally, changing your own language can have drastic effects. The way someone speaks will influence your mind and actions, and to talk powerfully and positively.
    The quote that stood out to me the most was, “Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.” This quote stood out to me the most because when people argue, they care more about speaking over another person, and do not listen to each other. Communication is most important in establishing a connection between someone and then we begin to listen to what people say. I think this quote is really interesting too because it talks about something that occurs so constantly in nature that we do not stop to think about it. Our words could be like rain and help new relationships grow rather than possibly frighten people away like thunder.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Christian Anderson, Year 1

    I was fascinated to learn about the different underlying meanings for many commonly used phrases. The examples that specifically resonated with me are the impact of vagueness and ambivalence on the meaning of language, as well as the impact of verbal runoff on the power of individual words and the language used to communicate them. Vagueness's impact on language was fascinating because of the varying meanings it can carry, sometimes positive but mostly negative. The impact of verbal runoff on the power of language also intrigued me because I personally have always found long statements to be draining to pay attention to and after reading this article I could sort of understand why.
    Be careful with your words. Once they are said they can only be forgiven, not forgotten. This quote was my favorite because it can be linked to ideas of justice. And the difference between forgiveness and doing nothing at all. It highlights the power behind words and how some words can hurt and cannot just be swept under the rug. It can be important to remember this when talking with others because specifically with humor it can be difficult to recognize whether a person you talk to thinks you are funny or offensive. This quote advises caution which speaks to the power words truly have.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Wendy Schwartz, Year 2

    Reflection:
    The communication techniques described here, (meant to both improve communication between two parties and to improve one's communication of their feelings to themselves) is incredibly similar to manifesting. This is a practice that was recently shoved into the limelight by the internet, originating from the philosophy of the Law of attraction. Stating that you attract what you put out into the world. So if you say that something is true eventually it will be. The article goes into a bit more of an analytical approach than that, but it works on the same principle of confirmation bias. If you are looking for something, you will find and notice it easier than if you aren’t. So if you focus on looking for positive things, rather than negative, you will find and essentially create more positivity within your life.
    “Words can inspire, and words can destroy. Choose yours well.
    I like it’s simplicity. Many of the quotes said the same thing, cautioning the readers against using words without thinking because of the impact that they can have on others. But this one says it in an easy to remember, yet powerful way.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I thought that it was very useful to learn and realize some of the very commonly spoken language. Reading about it can help to recognize it in other people, which is important when it comes to manipulation especially, but also yourself. It is important to not only realize your own bad habits, but work to create new and more positive ones that allow you to communicate best and most directly. It is important to make careful choice of what you say because that is a driving force in what makes someone who they are.
    "There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." This one stood out to me because it not only talks about the negative effects that words can have on people, but also that reverse of that and their strength in helping people. It is just as important to lift people up as it is to avoid bringing them down. Once an effort is made to talk to people in a positive way, not only will it help the other person, but also yourself.
    -Charles Gregg

    ReplyDelete