A rose by any other name...
It is one of the most iconic flowers in the garden, recognized as a symbol of love, beauty, innocence and purity. As some of the most popular flowers around the globe, roses are often considered the grandest, most fragrant, most important and beautiful--proved by their expansive presence in history, literature, and the arts.
It's no wonder that, with the variety of colors and sizes, they are the flower of choice for birthdays, budding romances (pun intended!), anniversaries, special occasions, parades, and holidays. The Society of American Florists estimated that 198 million roses were produced for Valentine's Day, alone in 2010 (1).
Like most flowers that decorate our world, the rose's worth is deeper than lush outward beauty. Rose hips are high in vitamin C. Rose oil is reported to act as an antidepressant, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antiviral, aphrodisiac, and astringent, among other benefits (2). In India and Italy, rose water is used as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, as well as a fine liquor (3). In the world of science, the rose is supposedly a very old flower in fossil records, showing up in deposits in Colorado, Oregon, Montana, and China. Many scientists date these fossils back millions of years! And let's not forget the value of the rose in our finest works of literature: Juliet's infamous monologue ("A rose by any other name would smell as sweet") in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, and Turkish delight, a rose-flavored dessert made very popular by C.S. Lewis's The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe!
As beautiful as they are to see and smell, roses also sport some pretty nasty, thorny defense-attack structures that can cut and scrape if you get close enough to reach for them. But perhaps these, too, are precious reminders--timeless metaphors, if you will--that pain and sorrow are necessary companions to beauty and joy. Such is the nature of contrast.
Okay, we get it. Roses are beautiful, fragrant, and should be appreciated as such. But where did this notion--this cliché or idiom--come from in the first place, and what does it mean to us with respect to this week's blog message? According to the Free Dictionary, to "stop and smell the roses" means to "become calm, and reflect upon the finer or more enjoyable aspects of life, especially when one has become overworked or overly stressed." As far as its origins, the phrase "Stop and smell the roses" traces its roots back to a similar saying, "Stop and smell the flowers," which is attributed to golfer Walter Hagen. It appeared in a 1956 book entitled, The Walter Hagen Story as such: "You're only here for a short visit. Don't hurry, Don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way."
Therein lies our meaning for this blog. We are embarking on a brand new school year. For half of you reading this blog, it is a milestone year: you are culminating your high school experience--getting ready to close one very significant chapter of your life, and move on to another that will form the bridge into adulthood with all its multifarious responsibilities, challenges, and opportunities. You will, as we have discussed in class, be tired. You will also, at times, find yourselves in the grip of fear and anxiety. You will have tough days and long nights. You will make mistakes, say things you don't mean, upset people you don't mean to upset, and, in turn, be hurt and slighted by others. You will feel pressured and tested, and yes, sometimes, you will even fail. But you will also discover, as you stand back up again to face another day, that you are stronger than you thought. You will learn that you are capable of a great deal more than you believed, and you will persevere.
This is where character is shaped and refined, that is to be sure. But it is also where we learn what it
really means to be grateful, and we start to understand the precious gift of grace: the grace we receive from others, and the grace we learn to give ourselves. Never in your life has it been more important for you to stop from time to time--amid the papers and proms, tests and trials, athletics and activities, expectations and events--to take in the beautiful view and sweet fragrance that is this time in your life. It will never come again. It is here...right now. How important it is in the rat race of life to breathe it all in and live, truly, in the moment that is now! Take a few extra minutes to savor a profound line in literature; take another long look at that painting in the art room; marvel at the complexities of that math equation; and linger in the lab as you walk through the steps of your experiment. You are here. You are young. You are ALIVE. And just like that rose in the garden, it's a beautiful thing.
really means to be grateful, and we start to understand the precious gift of grace: the grace we receive from others, and the grace we learn to give ourselves. Never in your life has it been more important for you to stop from time to time--amid the papers and proms, tests and trials, athletics and activities, expectations and events--to take in the beautiful view and sweet fragrance that is this time in your life. It will never come again. It is here...right now. How important it is in the rat race of life to breathe it all in and live, truly, in the moment that is now! Take a few extra minutes to savor a profound line in literature; take another long look at that painting in the art room; marvel at the complexities of that math equation; and linger in the lab as you walk through the steps of your experiment. You are here. You are young. You are ALIVE. And just like that rose in the garden, it's a beautiful thing.
So this blog, the first for the seniors, and the second for the juniors is meant as a time for you to reflect. Take a moment to think about all the things you treasure most, all the dreams you hope to fulfill. Look around your room--I mean, really look. Drink it all in. Page through that scrapbook or sort through some of those pictures that can still stir up some wistful nostalgia! Hit replay on your favorite song! Take a long walk in December and enjoy the sparkling glow of the Christmas lights! Wish on a star! This is your time! Give it your all, work hard, take that IB exam and test your limits, to be sure! But don't forget to take time out to... (you guessed it) smell those roses. They are classic...timeless...beautiful...and they are truly something to appreciate!
I have attached a link here of some really amazing, mystifying, awe-inspiring photos captured by some pretty gifted photographers. Enjoy looking through each of them, and then choose one or two that really catch your eye and tickle your fancy. Describe them, and tell me below what captured you about them: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iXh7CDvDJU2GTrL8SSaACSgxz2E8l-9Y/view?usp=sharing
I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I did. My mother actually sent them to me in an email over the summer. Her accompanying message read: "Thinking of you...thought you might enjoy these. They are really something to see!"
As usual, my mother is right. There truly is a lot to see in this world, and we can find some lovely views, often in unexpected places.
I would like to close with the infamous wisdom of Ferris Bueller: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you just might miss it!" As you go throughout this, your junior or senior year, don't forget to look around once in awhile. Take some time to stop and smell the roses!
(As the research above suggests, it is literally good for you!)
Footnotes
1. "How Many Roses Are Sold on Valentine's Day," ProFlowers.com, January 25, 2016, https://www.proflowers.com/blog/how-many-roses-are-sold-valentines-day.
2. "19 Surprising Benefits of Rose Essential Oil" Organic Facts, February 14, 2018, https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/health-benefits-of-rose-essential-oit.html.
3. Aashna Ahuja, "10 Rose Water Benefits: From Anti-oxidants to Anti aging," NDTV Food, April 30, 2018.






I truly loved some of these pictures, just from the colors. It's why one of the ones that truly jumped out to me was the last picture of the Titanic. It's black and white, there's nothing pretty about it, there's just a ship. The person who took the picture probably took it as it was passing by, not knowing that was going to be the last picture ever taken of the ship. Now it holds such value that can never be recreated and it's just a simple photograph.
ReplyDeleteThe other pictures I loved was the large rock doing a balance act. It's just this huge boulder that's in the middle of the woods and finding it would have to be something fantastical at first. This picture actually relates back to an experience I had that relates to stopping and smelling the roses. My family decided we were going to go on a trip to Utah and visit some amazing landmarks in nature. It was the second to last day there and we'd found nothing to do. We were heading back to the hotel, when suddenly we saw a small little run off into a dirt parking lot. We were all bored, and we decided why the heck not. At first it was your normal trail through a dried a river, nothing special. We then saw it, tons of large boulders balancing on top of tiny pillars. It ended up being the highlight of the trip a little patch of heaven we found and will never forget. We stopped and we found something amazing.
All of these images were breathtaking however there were a select few that I found to be partially striking. Firstly, the bridge between Denmark and Sweden that dips into a tunnel. Im sure theres a logical explanation as to how this was done but from an uneducated mind it's absolutely insane that we as humans have become so advanced as to build underwater! As a swimmer I think that that could serve as motivation to improve my dive, going underwater unbothered by my surroundings just as the builders of this cave did.
ReplyDeleteThe other image that stood out to me were the crashed American planes onto the beach of Wales during World War 2. Not only is the image itself breathtaking, the wings serving almost as a dam to the waves of the water that appear to have the dirt from the planes and sand from the bottom in it, I'd like to think it has a deeper meaning. At the time, in the 1940's, the war consumed the minds of millions of people globally all wondering when the violence and struggle would end. Were now able to look back as something that caused so much death and appreciate its beauty and the purpose it served. Not that school can possibly relate to the wide scale death of people across the world but it can serve as a reminder that what we may deem as rough and turbulent times will be looked back upon with appreciation and pride later in our lives. We overcame highschool just as the United States did a global threat.
Yes - as a history enthusiast, especially of WW2, that was haunting to me, too. It makes me think of the heroes, and all they sacrificed so that I can sit in a classroom, free to pursue the dreams I wish to pursue. :)
DeleteEvery single one of those pictures are truly beautiful in different unique ways. The picture that really captured my attention was the music school in China. The building was so beautiful and noticeably thought out. The glass violin and the shape of the piano is very beautiful. The art and beauty of such intricate instruments is displayed and mixed perfectly with the art of architecture.
ReplyDeleteAnother picture that made me say "wow" was the world's biggest horse, Brooklyn Supreme. The horse and his amazing build and size captured my attention right away. Right after I saw this picture I instantly googled it and I wanted to find more information about Brooklyn Supreme. I learned that he was 19.2 hands (6 ft 6 in) tall and he weighed 3,200 pounds.
Both pictures are incredible in completely different ways but still mind blowing and attention capturing.
(joshuah DIGuardi )
ReplyDeleteThese photos along with the captions under them capture a certain story that the entire world isn't quite black and white and has many layers to it all despite the diminishing credit we give it .However the photos that really stood out to me were the 1800's vampire hunting kit(the photo) and the worlds biggest diamond (the description )
the vampire hunting kit (photo)reminds you how afraid we are and used to be of the unknown and the precautions we would take to ward them off .
As for the worlds largest diamond (description) it reminds of how simple of a answer can be in the face of such stakes and complexity as long as you think it out .
As many may know, I am a huge photography enthusiast, so even before having looked at the images, I had been excited to take a glimpse. And after looking through them, I can't say I have a favorite. I enjoyed each one of them. I am a big time nature-lover, despite my ever-shrinking tolerance of the organisms in nature (I mostly mean bugs). It is true what they say about a picture serving a thousand words, for the photos that I take hold such amazing memories; these images do such thing, however, they give the reader an amazing visual portrayal of the memory they made.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading what you had written above about smelling the roses meaning to take a long and thorough look at the world around you, a wave of joy came over me, drawing tears from my eyes. In saying this, I don't mean to brag, however, I don't have a job nor do I have to worry about the stresses of work; this is something that a majority of my friends do. They pay their own insurance, they pay their own car, they pay for their own food - the list goes on of kids I know that have to worry about 'adulting' before they even hit 18. I have working air conditioning, food on my table every morning and night, a loving family, games, a computer - all things that over time we learn to live with and now that I've been exposed to such luxuries I can't imagine EVER being able to live without them.
And in saying that, I have to say that, even though I love nature, the fact and picture (page 48) about NASA having internet speed up to 2,000 times faster than the regular computer boggles my mind. We have come to an age where we have all this astounding technology and why we don't use it all for good, I don't know, but the fact that I, a 16-year-old, have the tools to make my life easier, more convenient, and fun is so cool for me.
I am SO glad it made you smile. :) Great to appreciate those little things, right?
DeleteThe picture that I found the most amazing is the one of the Milky Way and Mt. Fuji. As a photographer I understand the amount of time that went into taking that picture. Shot set up and making sure that the tripod doesn’t move in order for the stars to stay put. I took a picture with the stars like this last summer with one of my friends it was so cool getting the camera in the right angle and getting it so the stars were the focus and not the moon. Looking at the stars is one of the things that when I was a camp counselor this summer I took for granted. I got to see the stars almost every night for two months and seeing this image makes me think of those awesome summer nights with some amazing people. That was one of many moments that I should have stopped and smelled the roses, a moment that I wish I could go back too and live it again. This summer I learned so much about life, I gained so much experience and now that it’s go I wish I could go back. Now I look at the stars that I can see from my house the very few stars and use them to remember the amazing things that happened this summer.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed looking at all of the pictures because of how beautiful they were and the different feelings each one seemed to invoke upon its audience.
ReplyDeleteOne of the pictures that stood out the most to me was the 100,000 monks praying for a better world. This stood out to me because they were presenting themselves as a unified front with no visual differences between them which is how we all out to be in the world, not looking for what makes us different from one and other but for what makes us the same because we are all connected on this earth no matter what background or looks we posses. The focus really drew me in as well; how it is very easy to differentiate the monks in the for frame and then as it does further back they blur into a group of lights that shows how many of them there are praying for the same cause.
Another picture that really stood out to me was the 1500 year old 'Angel Tree' in South Carolina because it was the first picture that we got to see and the colors are very soothing and not overwhelming. The branches are very twisted and spread around the area of the picture chaotically but all come back to meet the little trunk in the middle that creates a center point to follow back to and focus on, giving the picture a feeling of connection although it comes off as detached and wild at first glance.
I loved all of these photos because I'm a big nature lover, I loved the cabin in the woods one just because it seemed so peaceful, The photo that really spoke to me though was the wind tree made of pipes that makes music. I really connected to this photo because music is such a big part of my life, it can be extremely stressful though and I sometimes feel as if I'll never do anything with it. A lot of people including me forget to stop and appreciate the beauty of it and forget to "smell the roses". I really felt like this photo connecting things back to peace and nature and makes you want to slow down in life. This tree sometimes plays music with the force of nature even when no ones there to listen to it and sometimes it doesn't matter if people are there to listen to you, you're still significant and one with your self and that's whats important.
ReplyDeleteI'll admit, there were quite a few pictures where I had to look it up to make sure it was real, and sure enough, they all were. The world truly is amazing.
ReplyDeleteThe first thing that really spoke to me was the picture of the sunset on Mars, where the sun is blue. I don't really know why I liked this picture so much, but I've always had a fascination with other planets, and love studying them. It reminds me that our world is actually pretty small, and I would love to one day head to a different one to check out what's going on there.
The next photo that interested me was the one about the world's largest diamond and how they sent it through the mail, because that's actually hilarious.
A lot of these pictures are beautiful and grabbed my attention, but one of them caught my eye. As I was scrolling through the photos in the slideshow, the photo that grabbed my attention was the picture of the 100,000 monks kneeling in prayer. I looked through the rest of the photos, but none of them were as memorable as that one. The arrangement of colors and light in the photo is intriguing and makes the picture visually interesting. The mass amount of monks in the image forces you to stop and pay attention to the photograph. As I stared further, I realized the weight of the actions they are doing. All of the monks are working together in prayer to incorporate to the purpose of a better world. That is an immense action and I further question whether or not this is working and if prayer really does better the world. Although it is not stated what religion they are, a Bible verse comes to my mind relating to this picture: “For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them,” (Matthew 18:20 NIV). As I said earlier, it is not specified what religion they are, but it is a comforting thought to know that they are obeying the commands of God and have the interest of other people at heart.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that you connected that picture to that verse. Beautiful!
DeletePersonally, I don’t think I can pick a favorite out of the many different pictures I looked through. They are all so grand and unique in their own way and each of them had a different kind of significance to me. Specifically, I really enjoyed the nature related photos because they reminded me of how vast and how grand the world is. They reminded me of how little I have seen and make me want to increase my knowledge on the many wonders of the world through travel. The nature pictures that interested me, reminded me of the saying about how pictures are truly worth a thousand words. For me at least, I feel like some of these pictures were able to communicate different feelings and messages that allowed for me to understand more about my own life and the world around me. All in all, the nature related pictures made me feel small, and I don’t necessarily mean that in a bad way. Sometimes we think our world is crashing down because we might have failed a test, made a dumb mistake or wronged someone and we think it’s inescapable and that it will affect our lives forever. However, when we are able to look at the world from a larger perspective, we are able to notice how really small and insignificant our everyday problems are. Not that our problems don’t matter, or don’t ever affect our lives, because they do, it’s just easier to bear them when you realize the vastness of the world around you and the life ahead of you. My mom has always told me that twenty years from now, failing that math quiz won’t still be on my mind and wont be determining my life and its course. This may stem from my own beliefs or mindset, but for the most part, we are more blessed than we think. All in all, the vastness shown in these photos just reminds me to have that perspective and motivates me to worry less and appreciate more. I feel like this could be very applicable to this last year of high school as well. While academics are important and our grades are something we should worry about, we shouldn’t let them consume us. We should pause to “stop and smell the roses” through appreciating this time in our life that is an important step into our future of opportunity.
ReplyDeleteLove this...yes, you are so right. There are so many amazing sights in this world of ours that remind us of the miracles and mysteries of life. Important to notice them and take them in. They make it all worth it, and give us the hope to keep pushing forward!
DeleteI cannot fathom all of these incredible places existing within our planet. I could pick so many of these pictures that inspired me- and inspired me to start traveling! Although, two that stood out to me in particular were the picture showing ht end of the Great Wall of China and the Black Sand Beaches in Ireland.
ReplyDeleteThese individual pictures stood out to me for different reasons. In the picture of the Great Wall of China it depicts the last 50 yards or so of the wall which ends at a large body of water. This picture is not particularly beautiful or scenic. Although what astounded me was the fact that this was where 5,500 miles of wall simply stopped. It was undramatic and beautifully simplistic. If you were facing in the direction of the camera you would never know that all of those miles stood behind you. It would simply be the short distance in front of you to the sea. As we say "There are far, far greater things ahead, than what we ever leave behind", though in this case that is certainly disproved.
While the picture of the Great Wall picture stood out to me because of the symbolism I took from it, the Black Sand Beaches were simply breathtaking. Coming from Arizona, the sharp ice structures were so intricate and beautiful. Furthermore, there is a perfect contrast between the black sands and the clear white ice. I loved the eye the photographer had in discovering this shot.
Starting with the smelling the roses... The entirety of the passage is somewhat of a mindset I have had coming into this year. During the past few years of school I have not been one to stop and enjoy where I am in the moment. I've always been caught up with what's next or what didn't happen in my life. However, with the start of a new school year and the beginning of my final year of high school I wanted to turn that around.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the reminder to slow down and enjoy what's around while its still here.
As for the photos... The photo "Swedish Naval Base" really sparked an interest with me. Over the summer I saw Indiana Jones twice and it reminded me of the last few scenes when the Nazi submarine travels to a remote Greek island. The moon kissing the ocean was very beautiful. A blood moon is always a rare sight. The 18ft statue really spooked me, probably due to the positioning of the woman's neck and her massive figure in the ocean.
You are most welcome!
DeleteYes, I totally see the similarity to Indiana Jones, as well!! Of course, anything with the ocean is always a welcome sight that reminds us how vast, unpredictable, and beautiful the mystery of life can be....very much like the sea.
Before even looking though these photos I was hoping there would be ones on the beach. I am a huge beach lover and I visit every summer. There are plenty of amazing pictures of the ocean in the slideshow but the best one I found was the sunset curling up with a wave. I love the way the sun reflects off the the wave. The picture has a very peaceful look and the wave has not started to crash so its just the simple blue water.
ReplyDeleteAnother amazing picture I saw was the sky looks like a rough sea. The picture mostly just has different grays with the occasional hint of blues like the ocean. When I think of a rough sea I think of boat crashes and the way this sky looks that definitely could be where a ship could crash.
With that being said, everybody has different views of beautiful or have a different perspective on what catches there eye with pictures of art. These are just the two pictures I really loved.
My favorite picture was definitely the one of the monks praying for a better world. I feel like it symbolizes how many people really want change and simply love to spread across the world, instead of the wars and hate that is filling the world now. I feel this image connects to me on a deeper basis because with time and growing a little older, I see the dangers, the hatred and the chaos we live amidst. It is beautiful to see that many people doing something as simple as praying for the world and everyone in it.
ReplyDeleteHopefully this year I can slow down and "smell the roses". So far the year has been quite stressful but I have started cutting out negativity and working on enjoying the time I have here, my senior year.
While looking at the pictures, all I could think of was how beautiful and amazing all of the pictures were. But, as I had looked through the pictures the ones that seemed to stand out more to me where the nature ones, and I think that this is because to me nature is peaceful and a sense of happiness and hope. Nature is also an escape from reality.
ReplyDeleteSome of the images that inspired me were the 400 million years ago, there were 22 hours in a day & more than 400 days in a year, and the Mount Fuji with the Milky Way. I feel like these two images gave me the feeling of inspiration because normally when someone sees a picture of a galaxy they want to go out and do something great. From these images, I also get the sense that we are just some small human that doesn't understand the great big universe no matter how hard we try to understand it. The universe doesn't want to be figured out, therefore, we will forever be small.
The pictures with the moon in them like The super-moon on November 14, 2016, or When the moon kisses the ocean, they stood out because I love watching the sky. For me, the moon symbolizes an ending of a day and the mysteries of the night. The moon just seems to have a special beauty about it that makes me love watching the sky set on a hard day and see the moon come out.
Some of the images that stood out to me too were because they were unique nature pictures like the Ice Canyon in Greenland, An extremely rare flipped over iceberg in Antarctica, A giant Log you can drive through in Sequoia National Park, California, the Elephant Rockin New Zealand, 36,000 feet, somewhere over Australia, and the 1,500-year-old Angel Oak tree in South Carolina. These were all unique to me because they are not something that I would be able to see on regular bases and they were just really cool images that capture each of these places in a really beautiful way that makes you love photography even more and think how the photographer even got that picture. For the 1,500-year-old Angel Oak tree in South Carolina, it stood out the most out of all the images in this section because I know a family that moved to South Carolina a couple years ago and seeing this image just makes me miss them more and want to know if they have ever seen this tree.
The major sky pictures that stood out to me that didn't have a moon in them was the Sky that looks like a rough sea, This is what Paris looks like from the Eiffel tower, Camping in Iceland, and Sunset curling up with a wave. The Sky that looks like a rough sea stood out to me because it's not every day that you see the sky looking like a sea. This same image stood out because it relates to the everyday life of "life is just one great storm," or something like that. To me life is a storm, you never know what is the day is going to bring, it could bring a whole lot of blessings or a whole lot of trials. The Sunset curling up with a wave stood out to me because I have seen very similar images to this one before on Pinterest, and I love these kinds of images because to me they represent the hope of a new day or the day ending depending on how you look at them. The other two images just stood out because of the angle that the photographer took the picture in, and how the sun is in in the picture. I also feel like the way the sun is taken in the images help represent the new hope of a new because we all have those days that we think that we can't make it anymore so we look for the things that make us happier or feel better, whether it be your friends, quotes or pictures, they make you feel better which gives you hope.
WOW! Thank you for taking time out to reflect on the images. I am glad that they were able to inspire you. :)
DeleteAll of these pictures are mesmerizing and it's amazing how someone can capture different objects into a picture. There were a lot of eye-catching pictures in this compilation but only a few caught my attention for different reasons.
ReplyDeleteThe first one to capture my attention was the 'sky that looks like a rough sea'. This one caught my attention because of how strange the clouds look. The dark colors in the sky create the effect of the crashing waves in the sea. I think it's a marvel that the clouds and the light can change and come together to resemble the sea.
Another picture that I really liked was the picture of the ice canyon in Greenland. The part that really caught my attention was the contrast between the crystal blue water and the perfectly white snow. The more I looked at it the more I marveled at it and noticed the smooth edges of the huge icebergs. Another part of this picture that I really liked is the how white the snow is; it looks so clean and pure.
All of these pictures really put into perspective how big the world is and how small we are. There are wonderful things to enjoy in the world and sometimes we just need to stop and smell the roses.
One image which caught my eye is a photo of a woman seemingly "floating on top of water" when in reality, she is laying on top of transparent ice. Not only is it extremely uncommon, it is breathtaking to see the inconsistencies of the Earth. I loved the cinematography of this specific photo, and how effortless it looks. The ice is unveiling the clear water below the surface.
ReplyDeleteAnother photo which caught my eye is the photo of Forest Lake in Russia, which is surrounded by a sea of trees. This photo personally interested me purely because it is aesthetically pleasing.
The image that caught my eye was the sky that looked like a rough sea. It shows simple houses, but above, beautiful clouds so blue and grey that they look like the sea. It captured me because it looks like this rare and marvelous occurrence took place in such a simple little town. It reminds me that beautiful, extravagant things that could change my life could sprout from something small and simple. I have to cherish every opportunity that comes my way, even if I don’t think that much of it at the time.
ReplyDeleteThe first picture of Angel Oak Tree in South Carolina was my personal favourite. Not under the lines of how it was the first photo, but because I've been there myself. I got the opportunity in the summer of 2016 to actually see something as great as that tree. What isn't shown in the photo is crowd of people that come, or the elderly couple that walk there every morning, or the story tellers in the back that stand on a small wooden stage and tell stories of the past to the people that come and listen. There's always a slight breeze there which leaves a large contrast to the heat and humidity. This tree is on the list of places I wish to go back too. Thus, the reason I chose to describe this picture.
ReplyDeleteThe image I chose is 36,000 feet above Australia; 36,000 feet of pure silence and beauty. The clouds gliding above, slowly allowing the sunlight to slip in between. Its as if the clouds are a barrier separating peace and chaos; and if you think about it, above the clouds were all the same, there's no borders or boundaries separating one another. There is just the openness of pure and utter peace. This image captivated me because of the sense of peace it gave me, the freedom, the openness of possibilities. When I look at this picture I do not have to question it, or wonder what the point of the image is? I can just enjoy the landscape and feel at ease.
ReplyDeleteOut of all the beautiful images included in this list the one that really stood out to me was the last photo taken of the Titanic in 1912, peacefully sailing off into the ocean. The reason why this photo resonated with me is that people on that boat had no idea that it would sink on their trip. They actually believed that this ship was quite the contrary, as they called it the 'unsinkable' ship. Any of our lives can be drastically changed in a single moment and we will never know when, how, or if it is coming. All we can do is take in all of the life that we can because any of us could be on that boat, but none of us will ever know it.
ReplyDeleteVery poignant!! Yes - it can be for the good or the better. We just never really know what is around the corner, and maybe that is a good thing. Just soak in and enjoy the bliss that is this moment, right?
DeleteWow... what a world we live in. It’s hard to fathom how completely beautiful the world is and yet we live each day so focused in what we are doing that we completely forget to notice all the beautiful things around us. When you think about it, it's like one of those brain tricks on Brain Games where there are four dot placed across from each other in the shape of a box and when you look at one dot in the shape for too long, you stop seeing the other three dots. I find this is similar to our lives because when we focus on one aspect of our lives for too long, we stop seeing the other aspects of our lives... until a certain English teacher reminds us that there is more to the world than just one dot. It’s only once we stop to smell the roses that we are able to see all four dots.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, ALL the images were so beautiful. When I first started looking at them, I started writing down the pictures that stood out to me but soon realized that I was writing down the title of at least every other slide so to say the least, it was a challenge to only pick one or two as my favorite when I really love all of them.
One of the pictures that really stood out for me was the '100,000 monks in prayer for a better world'. What stood out to me was the fact that 100,000 people who most likely come from different backgrounds, beliefs, and customs could come together and set aside any difference they might have to pray for a better world. I found that the article reminded me of the Asparagus Patch when the men are able to understand each other because there were so many monks, who must be so diverse and different but were able to put aside any differences they have to sit down together and harness their beliefs into one channel and ALL pray for a better world. Of course in my mind these people are all from different regions of the world and who don’t understand each others languages, yet they are still able to speak the same language as they were able to come together in mass prayer.
What a lovely connection! Yes, don't you wish we would all find the will to forget our pride, come together, and pray for a better world?
DeleteOut of all these pictures, I have to say that the picture stating that "400 million years ago, there were 22 hours in a day and more than 400 days in a year". This photo in particular stood out to me because it interests me hoe much the world has changed and evolved over time. I also love the aesthetic of it and how it can men a multitude of many different things including that there are endless possibilities out there.
ReplyDeleteThe picture that stood out to me the most was the one of the moon setting onto the water. The moon is a very vibrant orange and it contrasts with the night sky and the dark blue water. The reflection of the moon on the water makes it look like the moon is touching the water. The atmosphere is great and it captures the eye through the stark contrast. You can watch the ripples of the water come closer to the frame and it gives a great sense of depth. Overall, it’s a gorgeous photo.
ReplyDeleteIt was really nice to go through all of the pictures and do nothing but take them in. Allowing myself to relax and fully absorb an image was refreshing and a great way to sit back and smell the roses!
The particular picture that stands out to me is that of the Winter Morning in Norway. Nature is one of the prettiest things to look at, and especially in this picture, it seems so calm. Looking at this picture, it reminds me that I like setting music to pictures and scenes in my life because I like connecting music to memories. I like falling in the love with the music and the thing I'm looking at, whether that be a picture I'm looking at physically or inside of my head. This picture is taken gorgeously, as you can see a glimmer of the sunlight, and snow all over. It makes me wish I didn't live in Arizona. To this picture in particular, I think I would choose to remember it by a classical song because that's the kind of feeling I get while looking at it. The picture makes me remember that life is beautiful. Even if in your life may seem messed up, there is always something beautiful somewhere.
ReplyDeleteYes, there is - there is always hope, and that is the heart of all that is beautiful, I think!
DeleteThese images are all so exclusive and striking in their own ways. One of the images i thought was most mesmerizing was the sky that looks like a dark sea. Depending on what you are most fascinated about, depicts what detail of the image stands out to you first. When i first glanced at the photo I thought it was just an image of a town, on a cloudy day, however, after I read the caption and looked at the photo again I immediately seen the clouds and how they so breathtakingly resemble ocean like waves. This was one the most striking images in my opinion because i find it shocking how nature can so amazingly resemble a totally different type of nature. This image also stood out to me because it is definatley not something you see on a daily basis. I love the beach so much, but I also love the rain aswell. Thus, this picture combined types of gloomy/cloudy and ocean like vibes all in one picture. This picture makes me realize how one simple photo can mean a thousand differnet things depending on the person themselves. After looking at these images I have become a little more appreciative towards nature and all the things it could mean to us. I definitely will not ever take nature for grnated ever again.
ReplyDeleteThe photo that resonated with me was the photo of the pyroclastic surge. I am a huge adrenaline junkie and seeing something like this really gets my blood flowing. It’s crazy to think about what is going through this person’s head right now, or better yet just how crazy the photographer must be.
ReplyDeleteThe next photo that I enjoyed was the first one of the tree with the long winding branches. There’s something almost ominous about this image that creeps me out just enough to the point where I can’t look away.
All of these pictures were super fun to look at. The one that did stick out to me however, was the "Sunset Curling Up with a Wave" picture. It shows a wave rolling in from the ocean, just starting to curl over to form a barrel. The sun is almost completely set, so it gives off that reddish pink color in the sky and reflects off of the water. I really connected with this picture because I always find peace in the ocean and the waves. The smell of salt water and the sound of waves forming and breaking makes me feel so at ease and like the world around me is just perfect. Its one of the things I could totally watch forever, on a constant loop. The ocean/beach is my happy place and I'm always so content and fulfilled just sitting and watching the waves roll in one by one and foaming up on the shoreline. This photo made me think of those times that I have spent at the beach and just found and experienced pure happiness and fulfillment. I want to live by the beach when I am older with a family, so it made me excited for the days that are to come.
ReplyDeleteI knew you would pick the wave and sun! :) It just screamed something that would make you smile and touch your heart.
DeleteThese pictures were so fascinating to look at it was hard just to pick one but I decided and the one that caught my eye the most was the "36,000 feet, somewhere over Australia". It shows a view above the clouds but there is this slit glimpse of the sun rising up, you can see the red within the clouds. In this picture everything seems so peaceful, you can just stare it all day. It reminds me of a some soft peaceful background music that would go good with the picture. I just love how the sun bleeds into the clouds, showing that little bit of grey and red mixing together. I find it very peaceful and just in awe to look at.
ReplyDeleteAll of these pictures are extremely aesthetically pleasing. They kind of put my mind at ease looking at them and give me a calm, relaxing feeling. My personal favorite is "Sky that looks like a rough sea." That picture is a wonderful expression of a picture says a thousand words, because it shows my mood at school.
ReplyDeleteEach and every picture seemed very fascinating to me all of the images of nature were very breathtaking and even the pictures of the vampire kit, or the image of the monks praying were very interesting to me. However the image that stood out to me the most were the images of the black sand beaches in Iceland. To me, the image of those beaches were so calming and the contrast of the dark sand to the light, blue colored water was beautiful. The cool tones of the image and the idea that the beaches actually appear that way made me realize that there is so much nature and bizarre, beautiful, sites to see around the world that I may never get to experience. This allowed me to understand that in life it is truly important to appreciate everything around you and to never take anything for granted, even the things that may seem so insignificant.
ReplyDeleteAll of these pictures are breathtakingly beautiful and fascinating to look at. The most intresting photo to me was the pyroclastic surge. I love doing adrenaline fulfilling things and this picture gives me an adrenaline vibe, like how does the photographer feel and how did they take the picture such as what exent. I think the balck and whute photos also stood out to me because they gave me a feeling of nostalgia and an almost calming feeling just because of the fact they are black and white. Seeing all of these pictures really allowed me to take a minute to calm down and take time to look at very beautiful pictures and reflect on my life as a whole.
ReplyDeleteThere were so many pictures that I truly loved. One of these was the picture of the 8 ton orca whale jumping 15 feet out of the water. When I was really little, one of my two favorite movies was Free Willy. Toward the end of the film Willy, the orca, jumps 15 feet into the air to get over a stone wall that is blocking his way to the ocean. The picture reminded me of that scene and brought back a really nostalgic feeling. I even pulled up the Michael Jackson song "Will you be there?" from the soundtrack, after I saw the picture. Another picture that stirred up emotions and brought me a feeling of nostalgia was the picture of the Tabletop Mountains of Venezuela. As soon as I saw the picture I started humming the Pixar's Up theme. It reminded me of the movie mainly because those mountain were where Ellie wanted to visit and I'm still sad that she died and never got to see South America. The picture is also just really breathtaking. Especially with the clear blue sky and the puffy, white clouds.
ReplyDeleteI must say I can’t believe so many of these amazing places exist in this world! This just goes to show that opportunities are endless and there is always a new place to discover- these pictures made me want to start packing and take the first flight over to one of these beautiful places! Specifically, the ones that stood out to me included the mysterious lake in the Tunisian desert and the picture depicting 100,000 monks praying for a better world.
ReplyDeleteThe reason as to why the mysterious lake stood out to me was because it goes to show that even if the world seems set in place and like it will never change or improve, anything can happen. These families and people were most likely overjoyed to see water in their drought stricken desert, who knows how many lives were possibly saved? Although I do not know any backstory to their community, I have a feeling that they never lost hope. I think they believed that their living situations would improve and though I am unsure as to if they had religious beliefs, I do know that with believing in God, you will be saved and secured. While believing in yourself, will help you become stronger.
This point leads me to why the second picture caught my eye. These monks are gathering together to pray for the world. Praying it becomes a better world to live in, for everyone, along with it becoming a safer and more respectful place. Their faith is so strong in their religion, that they are willing to pray for everyone else, even if they might not be the same religion. They are showing acts of being selfless and truly caring. Something that the world needs more people to be. The mass amount of them in the powerful picture shows how strongly the world needs to change and how difficult it is to live in, at times. This picture has such a powerful message, that needs to be seen and analyzed by many, in order for the world to become a better place.
I just love what you said about the mysterious lake. What a great perspective! Very inspiring.
DeleteThe photo that caught my interest was the photo 36,000 feet, somewhere over Australia. It had white, plain clouds on both sides of the image. From where the clouds parted, you can see the orange sky that was being lit up by the sun. I thought this looked like lava even though it was actually clouds. I also enjoyed the picture of the sky that looked like a ocean because of its wavy clouds and different shades of blues.
ReplyDeleteEvery single picture seemed very interesting and unique in their own way. Its astounding to see all of the different places in the world that I never knew existed until this day. The two main images that stood out to me the most were the “18 foot underwater statue located in the Bahamas” and the “Balancing Giant Rock in Finland”. Both of these seemed striking and fascinating because of their unique characteristics. The first image shows a gigantic statue of a sitting/kneeling man underwater. This stood out to me because it created so many thoughts and questions in my head when I first saw it. How in the world could this statue have gotten there in the first place? Why someone put it there to begin with? Does this statue supposed have a greater meaning/intention or does it symbolize something in specific? The second image shows a gigantic boulder balancing over a smaller rock in the forests of Finland, with a man standing nearby for size comparison. This picture seemed so interesting and astonishing, as I can't believe how its possible for this to occur naturally. It's amazing to see all of the wonders that Mother Nature created in the world in which we live in.
ReplyDeleteBoth of these images seemed unrealistic and unnatural, making them catch my eye the most out of the rest. However, just looking at all the other images also made me more relaxed and calm, and it encouraged me to appreciate my surroundings even more than before.
Wow! These pictures are all so breathtaking! I loved looking through them and seeing how many beautiful places like this truly exist! The image that I loved the most would have to be those black sand beaches. I've always seen a few pictures of them and I am a beach lover, so I would love to visit there one day, it just looks so beautiful!The blue on the black just looks so amazingly contrast and I would just love to see it in person.
ReplyDeleteBucket list!!
DeleteMany of the included pictures are awe inspiring upon first glance. However, beyond this, they are all accompanied by a story, as are all things. The slightly minimal descriptions, while brief, leave many openings regarding the significance of the images portrayed.
ReplyDeleteThe primary image that I found to be the most interesting was the 1800's vampire hunting kit. While I don't consider myself to be extremely skeptical regarding supernatural occurrences, upon viewing this equipment to be used for slaying the un-dead, I find myself perplexed as to the application of some of the contained items. I suppose it speaks to the mass hysteria and widespread superstition of the time regarding not just vampires, but witches and other paranormal entities,that people who generated an income from hunting and slaying the imposing threat that a surprising amount of people believed to be legitimate were willing to potentially useless items to combat what were seen to be immortal beings, merely due to the suggestion of myth.
The second image that I found to be provocative was that of the Venezuelan Table Top mountains. The implied altitude by showing merely the peaks and plateaus that break through cloud cover is impressive, as one can only assume the endeavor that would be scaling this peak. Furthermore, the lush landscape of the plateaus themselves are also beautiful, compounding with the already breathtaking aspects of the image.
It is nearly impossible to pick just two of these beautiful photographs, but I found that the two that drew my eye the most were the ones titled "secret cave above the clouds" and the "sky that looks like a rough sea". The first is shown from within a large opening of a cave, the sun beginning to set beyond the perfectly white clouds. The part that made this picture so memorable though, was the person standing on the edge of the cave looking out upon the scenery. Not only is the picture itself beautiful, but it shows how small our problems are in the phase of the world. I often spend to much time worrying about future possibilities then taking the time to enjoy the beautiful moments right in front of me. The second picture also drew my eye right away, the sky looking like waves instead of clouds. This picture is simply beautiful and makes you think of all the mysterious happenings like this one.
ReplyDeleteAlthough the greater portion of these photos are mesmerizing, two of them stood out to me very greatly. The first is titled "The last photo of the Titanic afloat 1912", and this image stood out to me less because of its beauty and more because of the significance it represents in correlation to my personal beliefs. I am a firm believer that everyone should live their day-to-day lives as if they weren't going to wake up tomorrow, and the basis of their actions should be how they will be remembered. Sometimes I need to remember that what I do and say has more effect on others than I realize, and just because I'm unaware of future consequences, doesn't mean I should refuse to acknowledge that they may exist at all.
ReplyDeleteThe next image that caught my attention is titled "This is where the great wall of China ends," and once again the symbolism of the image is what speaks to me the most. To me, a wall represents something that is meant to keep things in more than keep things out, as it is a good representation of my emotions. My emotions are blocked by a wall as I tend to fear the reaction of others, and this image proves that even a wall that is super powerful and persistent, has some a way to get around. The flaw with the great wall of China, is that eventually, it ends, much like my emotional barrier, and this is for the greater good. I need to realize that it's okay to express myself without fear of judgment, in comparison to the tourists examining the wall, some people may actually be interested in my thoughts.
Beautifully said -- such a very deep reflection. Love it. :)
DeleteI found every single one of these pictures so unique in there own way! They all mean something and tell a story to each and every person who looks at them. A couple of pictures that stood out to me was the one where a homeowner made their house incorporating nature. I find this so important considering I am in love with nature and I feel its not something everyone takes in and realizes how breathtaking it is. I loved how they decide to incorporate it and not just tear in down. Another image that really stood out to me was the camping in Iceland. Like I said nature means a lot to me and being able to experience beautiful things like that are absolutely amazing. Just looking at the image made me so happy and I thought to myself how unpredictable and gorgeous our world is.
ReplyDeleteA thank you of two parts,
ReplyDeleteFirst. Thank you for the reminder to smell the roses this year. That helped me a lot today.
Second. Thank you for sharing those pictures with us. I think I needed a reminder of just how vibrant the world is. It's easy for me to get caught up in my own space with my own concerns, but seeing all of those pictures really went a long way towards bringing some much needed perspective to my life.
The picture with the most significance to me had to be "Winter Morning in Norway." I think it's because more than any of the other places, this would be where I want to spend my time the most. It's not super over-the-top, it doesn't scream wealth, it's humble and looks cozy. I can just imagine myself in that cabin bundled up reading a book. And maybe it's because I live in Arizona and have only seen snow a handful of times, but that snow just took my breath away. It's so calm. It looks like a moment frozen (sorry) in time. Everything about that picture makes me want to be there for myself.
Similarly, "Sky that looks like a Rough Sea," kind of blew my mind. I'm fairly well-versed in photoshop, and the odds of this picture being doctored are fairly high, but I just want to see this for myself. The sky brings such a surreal sense of scale and place to wherever this photo was taken, I'd just love to be there to see it for myself.
I am so glad it was helpful! :) I agree on Norway picture --so peaceful, and I LOVE winter.
DeleteMy other fave was the tree....how many amazing moments has that tree witnessed? It just looks like it wants to whisper stories!!
As I looked through all the photos, ones I had seen or recognized from before as well as breathtaking new ones I had never seen before, they had me reflecting on my own life. I fount them all to be fascinating for different reasons. Some of them showed the beauty nature provides us, while others told stories that I didn't know about and I feel should have gained more recognition.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to pick juts one that envelopes the 'most significance' for me because they all shared a piece of the world I wasn't apart of before looking at the picture. Some stood out to me, such as the Ice Canyon and Greenland, the sky that looks like a rough sea, and the picture of 100,000 Monks in prayer for a better world, but if asked why, I wouldn't be able to pinpoint a specific reason.There's a power behind them that is difficult for words alone to explain. It's the kind of power that sends shivers down your spine when you first lay eyes on it because it's either unfathomable or shares a deeper message that what's on the screen. Traveling and taking these pictures would be an opertunity of a lifetime, but until I have the ability to do that, it's amazing to be able to look at pictures like these and be grateful for the fact there are other people out there who appreciate the beauty found in the smaller things in life.
I'm very entranced by the image of the moon kissing the ocean, especially with the contrast of the blood moon and the blue sea. It almost depicts the moon's relationship with Earth's water, as the moon's gravity affects the tides, pulling them towards itself. The red of the moon reflecting on the dark blue water shows the contrast of the sky so up above and the water down below, and I believe an image like this is quite rare.
ReplyDeleteThe second picture that really spoke to me was "A cabin deep in the woods in Washington," because it has always been a dream of mine to live within a cabin hidden in the woods, as a sort of escape. Seeing this made me think of my dream, and almost feel a connection with whoever lives there now. It reminds me how, no matter how absurd the dream, someone may have the same one. In a way, it almost shows how we are all connected.
One of the pictures that not only stood out to me, it made me laugh:"The Golden Turtles often rides on top of a jellyfish to conserve energy when traveling throughout the ocean". Turtles happen to be one of my favorite sea animals so natural the picture stood out to me, but what made me laugh because it is like the turtle used critical thinking to solve the problem of always being tired when traveling. What first caught my eye was that the turtle was golden and as I looked at the picture longer I realized how much detail you could see in not only the turtle but the jellyfish too. The golden of the turtle and light purple-blue of the jellyfish really compliant each other and in doing this the photographer is showing the turtle and jellyfish's mutualistic relationship.
ReplyDeleteThe second picture that caught my interest was "Sky that looked like the rough sea". Not only are the colors of white, gray, blue and black coming together to create a beautiful disaster it is showing how nature can make something so horribly as a storm be beautiful like the sea. The picture made me feel like I was in the middle of the storm experiencing the purely amazing yet mysterious picture that was created. It makes you wonder what happened after this photo was taken or what is to come in the future.
Despite the beauty throughout the slides, I found early on that the 100,000 monks praying for a better world struck a chord with me. Although I thought the contrast of the wheat and lavender, as well as the black sand beaches with ice on them from Iceland were a sight to see, the monks praying in unison was so coordinated and comforting I couldn’t get it outta my head. Although they aren’t in perfect linear unison, the formation of all the monks kneeling and praying together makes for such an interesting picture and an astonishing perspective. The complementary tones of red, from their outfits, yellow and orange form their fires, and the neutral brown of the floor, made the picture all the more special. These warm tones made me feel at peace and were very soothing. The main reason I loved this picture the most was because of the pure quantity of monks. The idea that they all got together to pray for a better word, for peace, is a true beauty in and of itself. The image was so wonderfully taken by the photography by viewing the monks from above to capture this astonishing quantity rather than being on the ground and only focusing on a smaller group. All around I found this picture soothing in both tone and message and that’s where I found the most beauty in it.
ReplyDeleteLovely - very well said!
DeletePerfect Ice (50): The amazing picture that caught my attention was the one displaying the “perfect ice” because I have never been to a place where it is cold enough to freeze a lake solid and because I’ve never seen a lake so clear. It is almost completely translucent which makes it so mesmerizing and breathtaking. I have always been fascinated with water, despite the fact that I don’t know how to swim, and seeing this “perfect ice” inspired me to try and find a place like that which would allow me to explore and see water without drowning. This place is definitely on my bucket list. :)
ReplyDeleteRight?? It's crazy! I had to look at that picture for a long time just to take it in.
DeleteMy favorite image was the one where the moon kisses the ocean. It's so beautiful how the moon was a redish orange color and the water was so dark and blue. It makes a good picture also because of the complimentary colors. I really enjoy simple beauties in life, just like this one. I also really enjoyed the picture of a 1,500 year old tree. It's branches were super long and twisty, to where it looked like it was out of a fairy tale. I'm from the midwest where there is trees everywhere, so seeing this made me remember how it felt to sit in the shade under a tree and how nice that was. The pictures of nature really capture my attention, which is weird because I usually like to just stay inside. Maybe I just prefer to look at pictures instead of live them.
ReplyDeleteLooking at the pictures, I have to say the picture of the angel oak tree in South Carolina is particularly stunning. Something about it being so old is just mind boggling to me. I feel it's also mesmerizing how it's branches have grown out sporadically. I find this picture truly beautiful and amazing.
ReplyDeleteAnother photo that I found particularly interesting was the one of the rock formation that had been built around. I personally think nature is a beautiful thing, and it's cool to know that whoever built this pool thought to preserve and incorporate it. I also really like the colors in this photo, I think they're very relaxing.
All of these photos are beautiful and meaningful in their own right, and it was very difficult for me to choose just two to write about.
Yes!! I look at that tree, and I am both mesmerized and a bit jealous of all the amazing moments in history that tree has been able to witness!!
DeleteThe two pictures that I chose are the one of the praying monks and the one taken at 36,000 feet over Australia. The one of the monks praying supposedly shows “100,000 monks praying for a better world”. What really caught my eye are the colors of this image: there are a lot of oranges and warm, dark colors. They are all separated by torches and all seem to be sitting in separate squares. They are all in a geometrical fashion, so the picture seems like it is very symmetrical which also caught my eye. The second picture I chose shows clouds which seems to have a sunrise or sunset below them. The color scheme of this image is very similar to the first one I chose: a lot of different oranges and dark colors. What really stuck out to me in this photo is how much the stark oranges of the sun contrast the black and grays of the clouds. To me, it also looks like lava from a volcano because of this distinct contrast between the colors.
ReplyDeleteThe photo that stood out to me the most was the one of a young man skating down an Iceland road. The image is filled with maple and tan hues with pops of colors provided by the humble houses below the road. My eyes wrap around the image as if I am skating alongside the young man. My eyes start from the left side of the photo and hop from roof to roof and finish on the right side where only grass is left. I am instantly drawn to the center of the image where calm blue waters greet me. My eyes take a hike up the mountains. The shadowed mountains provide me with a breath of fresh air. Though shadows are commonly associated with darkness and "something bad coming" (foreshadowing), this image proves the complete opposite. This is a place where I would come to clear my mind and wash away any possible troubles.
ReplyDeleteThe caption at the bottom of the image is what truly stood out to me the most. "Iceland has one of the largest gun ownership rates in the world yet has one of the lowest crime rates in the world." This image made me think of the countless number of innocent people that have tragically lost their lives due to gun violence. Talk of gun violence is everywhere, especially on social media platforms. From Twitter to Instagram to news segments, opinions on what should be done to fix this problem vary from person to person. It made me think of what the U.S is doing wrong and what Iceland is doing right.
First, I love the smell the roses reminder. At this time in my life, it helped more than you can know.
ReplyDeleteThe third photograph of the mysterious lake in the Tunisian desert really captured my eye. I’m not sure when this photograph was taken, but it has such a nostalgic, vintage feeling to it that I love. I feel like I found this picture looking through someone’s box of memories and this photo was in a stack of film photographs taken at summer camp in the late 1900’s.This picture is the epitome of summer to me because when I look at it, I immediately feel the warm sunlight shining on me and the sandy rock under my feet.
The eighth photograph of 100,000 Monks praying for a better world truly took me back. Everything about the composition of the photo: the leading lines, the repetition, the symmetry and the color combination is stunning, but it sets a tone of peacefulness and solitude in the image that is so strong you could can feel the exact atmosphere in the monk’s room. The warm colors and glow of the light creates a sense of hope in the photo, fitting because it reflects the monk’s hope for our world.
The twenty-first photograph depicting Mount Fuji as seen from the sea is one of the most beautiful sights. The colors in the photo are incredible and assuming this is not photoshopped, unreal that they can be produced by nature. The combination of light blue, dusty pink and blue teal create a mystical appearance that makes me believe this sight is straight out of a storybook and belongs to a fantasyland. I might be thinking this because it reminds me a lot of the scenery in Life of Pi, but regardless, it is so vibrant and after seeing this, definitely on my bucket list of places to be.
I am so glad to hear it was helpful. We all need to be reminded to look around once in awhile and breathe in these moments. We don't recognize how precious they are until they are gone.
DeleteAs mesmerizing and completely eye-capturing all 67 of the photographs were, I resided most of my attention to one in particular: “The Breathtaking tabletop Mountains of Venezuela”
ReplyDeleteFor starters, I could easily argue the beauty and artistry that lies within this photograph by simply pointing out the soft features of the clouds that, oh so delicately, enclose the bright green tabletop mountains. The breathtaking beauty of this landscape however, is not the main basis for my fascination. What truly made this image resonate the most, was the feeling of anguish and nerves it left in me after a quick glimpse. While the photograph was entirely stunning, as I mentioned above, it did not take away from the fact that looking at these mountains stirs up my emotions into making me feel a sense of anxiety. Anxiety from the simple thought of being there myself, high up up the mountains, not knowing what lies underneath the layer of the soft and dense clouds below! I can only imagine the photographers thoughts while taking the picture; half of their brain trying to convince them that the scenery is beautiful, while the other contemplates the scary aspect of it all.
Overall this image, both stunning and chilling, is one which caught my eye the most out of the many other extraordinary snapshots of the world I saw!!
Yes, I agree!!
DeleteThe first photo that seemed to catch my eye was of the cabin in the woods in Washington. I think it's important to take time to appreciate the natural beauty around us. I love the forest especially because it's so different from the world I live in. It's quiet, peaceful, and holds so much life. I think that especially in this generation, we are so separated from that. We are so distracted by our electronics and all of the noise in our world. Whereas in that picture, being a little isolated and having that time to yourself is so important. Like you said, I think it's important make time to smell the roses and take enjoyment in the things around us. In doing so, I think it will lead to a healthier you, making time for yourself.
ReplyDeleteThe other picture I really liked was of the black sand beaches in Iceland. Over all, I thought the stark contrast of the clear ice and the dark sand was stunning. I think that this is another example of the beauty in nature. Something like this is so unique and it inspires me to explore the world and find places so different from my own.
I agree! I often miss the days before electronics. You could "hide away" a lot easier! And having to go to the library to research was kind of peaceful, to be honest.
DeleteEvery picture was definitely a sight for me, some I found funny (The copy-paste inventor) and others I found to be really amazing to look at. Out of all the pictures I chose the picture titled, "36,000 feet, somewhere over Australia" mainly because of its amazing view. The sun is below a sea of clouds and their is also a streak of sun, a nice yellow-orange color piercing through the clouds. This image is satisfying and even calming to look at. The colors change as the light moves across the clouds, starting at a nice light yellow-orange and slowly transition into a light red-orange color. It truly is a sight.
ReplyDeleteI particularly enjoyed the very first picture. As soon as I saw it, it captured my imagination. The moss-covered tree branches, gnarled and twisting this way and that in the air and along the ground, inspired an image of a fantasy landscape in my mind. It's very unusual, and a cause for wonder of what nature can do. After reading the caption, I also wondered at its age. The fact that it exists in the real world and is 1500 years old makes it even more awe-inspiring.
ReplyDeleteAnother photo that I enjoyed was the 36,000 feet, somewhere over Australia. I love it because it's a very foreign view, one that, even though it exists, we don't get to experience very often. It provides a new perspective on an often mundane world. What appears to be a sunset illuminates the clouds like a river of fire, beautiful and glowing orange. The vast landscape of clouds is like another world, with only a very distant connection to our own. Yet because we know it is in our world, it makes it all the more stunning.
The first photo that I enjoyed was the 5th one, which shows scholars in England who have been wearing the same uniform for 460 years. It was amazing to see tradition preserved in modern day, and it transports you to another time by simply looking at the picture.
ReplyDeleteThe second photo that I enjoyed was the 31st photo, which shows a wheat field next to a lavender field. There was something about the symmetry in the photo, and the vividness of the lavender that made me stare at it for a while. It made me wish to see it in person and walk through it myself.
My favorite photo was the one of the end of the Great Wall of China. For some reason, I thought that the wall continued without end. So, it was funny to see that it just stops in the middle of a beach.
From the pictures I was able to appreciate how beautiful our world is, and how creative man-made structures can be. I would love to see all of pictures in person someday.
For starters, i'm not an individual with a lot of money. Im a high school student with a minimum wage job, so when I see things that are super expensive and lavish, I strive to work harder and chase my dreams. Because of this the first photo that really caught my eye was the photo that showed the interior of the of the Bugatti Chiron. After I saw this picture I immediately began to research the car and fell in love. I think I have a new dream car. I also feel like the reason the interior of this million dollar car caught my attention was the weirdly futuristic yet extremely simple design. Theres something about the lack of a center console and the all leather interior that I found super intriguing.
ReplyDeleteThe second photo that caught my attention was the picture that showed a blood red moon "kissing the ocean". This one caught my attention because of the fact that I enjoy photography and the photo itself really coincides with what I consider aesthetically pleasing. The colors are absolutely astonishing and the way the photography framed the photo was beautiful. I think another thing that draws me to this photo is the water and sense of peace the picture creates in me. I was born and raised in California and love the beach. Im not necessarily sure if this photo was taken at the beach but the way the moon reflects off the surface of the water reminds me of the beach at night and evokes an overwhelming sense of peace.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed ‘stopping to smell the roses’ by getting to look at these photos. All these photos were amazing and mystifying in their own way while I took a strong liking to two
There was a photo about the black sand beaches of Iceland, that intrigued me so greatly. Not only is this picture so aesthetically pleasing to me, with the black sand and pebbles against the clear ice, it’s intriguing. The ice in this picture almost looks like shattered glass because it’s so clear and randomly shaped, it just looks so beautiful against the sand. This photo intrigued me with its black sand, more than the pink sand beaches in the Bahamas, because in my opinion, it looks better. I did research, the sand comes from the basalt lava that covers the area. But because it doesn’t replenish like normal sand, it won’t be around for very long. I don’t know how much longer it will be around but I know that I definitely want to visit it someday.
The other photo that caught my attention was the pyroclastic surge photo with a car driving away from the cloud of smoke. I took a liking to this photo because of how risky it is. Those surges travel so fast and can bury, burn and asphyxiate people. The person taking this photo was definitely a risk-taker. It also kind of symbolizes a person running away from all their problems and it makes me wonder if the person actually makes it away.
I LOVE that you did some research on the black sand! They have a similar beach in Maui and in the big island of Hawaii. It's so incredibly soft and fine...amazing!
DeleteI love what you said about the pyroclastic surge and the symbolism. That's true. I wonder about that person, too! Crazy!! I had never heard of a pyroclastic surge. Pretty incredible and scary.
Man, there are so many great photos in this collection. So many captured my attention, particularly any that had to do with nature. It amazes me how random nature can be. Such unexpected things can happen in nature that form the most beautiful moments for photography to capture. I simply can't pick one. However, on the flip side, I really liked the photo on Page 20, of the Natural History Museum in London. Rather than nature, this photo captures a place that is entirely man-made. The architecture is breathtaking, and I have never seen anything like it. It is so complex to take in at first, but then you realize all of the patterns that are present in the image. And this idea of patterns crosses over into nature as well. Patterns are everywhere, both in nature and the man-made world. Patterns, to me, are a beautiful thing that photography captures extremely well, and I feel that these photos did just that.
ReplyDeleteOf all of the pictures that I looked at, the picture of the Swedish Naval Base really stood out to me above all of the photos, despite being rather plain and uneventful compared to some of the other artistic and creative photos. The reason that I have chosen this particular photo is because of the representation that it displays between man's relationship to nature and how man has pioneered new engineering marvels, such as the Swedish naval hangars drilled into the side of the cliff, instead of using conventional building as seen so often in today's world. This photo highlights the innovation and creativity of the human mind to use earth's given features as a benefit, and also highlights the art of thinking outside the box to engineer infrastructure that is both helpful yet unique, with the help of Mother Nature herself.
ReplyDeleteYes, the Naval base holds a special place in my heart, too, as I have one in the Naval Academy track and a second one anxious to serve, as well. I love that this one uses nature in its design. Beautiful.
DeleteMany of the photos were simply breathtaking. Pictures like the clouds resembling an ocean during a storm and clear lake in Montana make me want to sit and stare at the picture for hours. The wheat field next to the lavender field, the 100,000 monks, and the the picture of China's richest village were all satisfying as well. It made me about how there are so many things outside of my world that I have yet to discover, and even in my daily life, I can find things that will make me remember how much I appreciate life and the privilege of being able to experience such things.
ReplyDeleteThe two photos that captured my attention was that of the wheat field next to the lavender field and the milky way ft Mt. Fuji. With regard to the first image, the natural symmetry and contrast in color between the lilac and nude is almost euphoric. Just seeing an image of items or things that are perfectly in place gives me a sense of ease and motivates me to look at nature with a sense of awe. Its capability to produce beauty on its own without human intervention is remarkable.With this, the Mt. Fuji image also gives me a sense of peace and enjoyable solitude. I picture myself being in an area like this reflecting back on my actions. Its simply so breath taking and unbelievable that it seems as if the image contains fictitious properties. Its almost as if both photos have soothing properties.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely loved the message of this blog post, especially the metaphor “that pain and sorrow are necessary companions to beauty and joy”. In life you can’t have the good without the bad, I believe at least that the bad, pain, or sorrow teaches you to appreciate the joy or good. While essentially allowing your character to be defined. In my own experience, I have come across many trials and challenges that have defined who I am and I bet there are still gonna be those trials that keep testing my character—because that’s what life is. It’s a trial that constantly tests you, it becomes chaotic, rushed, and worrisome but then it has those moments where life just stands still and you are still, just observing the beauty of being alive, that’s what stopping and smelling the roses is in my opinion. Its where life stands still and you really look at the beauty of it, you soak it in, you breathe it in. Sometimes those moments make you feel alive or appreciate being alive because you felt a moment no one will experience the same as you. It's hard to find those moments when our lives revolve around constant activity and tasks. But still like Mrs. Caraway said, “you are here. you are young. you are alive” and it's a beautiful thing. These words really impacted me to say the least, it made me realize I need to really stop and appreciate the sun coming up in the morning, the smell of my mother cooking, my little sister’s hugs and everything small in my life that makes me feel alive. I wanna stop and smell the roses.
ReplyDeleteIn regards to the pictures, I really loved the ones from Norway, Australia, Paris, and Iceland because these are places I really want to travel to and appreciate the beauty of. To me, these places are like future roses I can stop and smell. Theses places represent my hopes and dreams for my future and the work I will need to do to get there. The picture of the snow in Norway especially took my breath away, it amazes that nature is that beautiful. It also amazes me that I could possibly one day experience that. That's the one thing that keeps me going—that there's gonna be those experiences or moments that I will get to one day if I keep standing back up and getting through the chaos of life. While still remembering to appreciate the beauty around my life and that there will always be trials of life. But there's also gonna be small pockets of beauty to experience at the same time, I just need to be still and see it.
Yes - I am glad those words resonated with you! :) I loved the Norway one a lot, too, as I am a total winter baby. I am excited after reading this for you to experience Paris - it is my favorite city. VERY special place! There will be MANY trials in life, but it's the breathtaking moments along the way that get us through them.
DeleteThe two pictures that intrigued me the most were "The Singing Tree" and the two fields made up of wheat and lavender. "The Singing Tree" is a sculpture consisting of metal tubes contorted in a way that they resemble a tree with a flat top. I was curious as to how they were able to contort the tubes so well to give the tree such a strong form, and exactly how it sounds like when wind blows through it. The wheat and lavender fields are on the same planting area, but are completely different. The fact that they are completely different colors and are separated between a neat line is extremely surreal and it's almost as if the field was changing colors. Ignoring the captions, almost all of these pictures where breathtaking and could remind anyone to take a look around them and appreciate the environment and the objects in it.
ReplyDeleteThe picture I felt a connection with the most was the "Okinawa,Japan" photo, I feel this is because, one, its tropical and beautiful, and two its clean and it shows life. I hope to be as healthy as I possibly can and make it over 100. The idea of keeping such a beautiful environment looking like that no matter what the world does to other areas, gives me hope that one day there will be a better way to save our earth. All of the pictures were beautiful though, I'll definitely keep the pdf so when I need to remind myself life is beautiful, I can look at them. :)
ReplyDeleteI really liked the message of this blog this week, it provided a much needed reminder for me. As far as the pictures, I really liked number 13, Winter morning in Norway, and number 21, Mount Fuji as seen from the sea.
ReplyDeleteThe winter morning in Norway caught my eye because it looked like something out of a dream. The view is so perfect and serene that it's hard to imagine that this is actually occurring somewhere. I love the blanket of white covering everything and the sun shining overhead. The view is so peaceful and inviting.
Mount Fuji as seen from the sea was breathtaking as well. This one put me in awe at the size of the mountain and its surroundings. The shot is also composed beautifully, which added to my enjoyment. This photo was able to really transport me to where it was taken and place me in front of this amazing sight.
My two favorite pictures where the flipped over iceberg and the
ReplyDeleteMitchell Multilevel Falls, Australia. The flipped iceberg was so cool I never knew that was even a thing that could happen. I am curios to how an iceberg gets flipped over. The really cool things bout this picture is how the bottom and that had now became the top looked so smooth and clear compared to what an iceberg looks like above the water. The Multilevel falls was gorgeous and it blew me away. The rock formations where so cool and fascinating. It looks so beautiful, peaceful and amazing place to going swimming. This picture has defiantly made me want to visit this place in Australia.
forgive me for being late, I really have no excuse, other than it took me a while to soak in the photos and made me reflect on my life and everything that has happened up till now. I ended up falling asleep trying to decide the photos I wanted to pick. After much trial and tribulation I ended up choosing the tree from South Carolina and the photo of the moon kissing the water.These two really resonated with me because it reminded me of whats important to me and brought me to my happy place. The tree made me think of my past and all of the connections and roots that I've grow in my short time since moving to the state. It also brought me back to places I used to live and the serenity of the land and everything around it. Secondly I chose the moon "kissing" the water and it made me think of all of my relationships romantically and my friendships. Made me think of all the tough times we went through, and all of the greatest memories we all share. These images and this blog post let me know that, while I'm not there yet, that I have support to reach the greatest heights and the deepest depths and I am able o tread without fear because I have them by my side and in turn they have me.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite pictures were the lake in desert and Okinawa. I thought the lake was a very beautiful picture that really makes me think about how amazing it would be to be there. Imagining a giant lake in a completely random place where I would be able to have a great time with my friends in a somewhat secluded place is very fun to think about. I also really enjoyed the picture of Okinawa as it is just very nice to look at and I also relate a lot with the caption. I always hear about my relatives in Okinawa and how my great grandparent's lived over 100, as well as many others. When they reached 100, they had a giant party where the mayor comes and congratulates them. Also, I'm very sorry about this being late.
ReplyDeleteThe picture I saw as most notable was the pyroclastic surge. It's a crazy picture of a jeep driving away from a deadly cloud of heat chasing them. The picture made me wonder how any person in their right mind would stop to take a picture of this deadly force heading right for them. I also wonder if the people in the jeep survive considering how fast the surges are said to travel. As I am oft absent minded, I feel like this blog is one I really should try to follow. I get so caught up in all the things I want to do or try out that I forget to do some important things, like respond to this blog on time! Honestly, it's a good idea to note what amazing things are in this world as we don't always do so. I had no idea that you could see a rainbow at night or what an iceberg looked like upside down but thanks to the lovely images supplied I now know that there are anomalies out there and their beautiful. Thank you Mrs. Caraway.
ReplyDeleteThe image that stuck with me the most was definitely the tabletop mountains in Venezuela. Besides reminding me of Up, the scale of these mountains reminds me of just how small we are. I can just imagine sitting on top of one of them, looking out over a seemingly endless sea of clouds with islands of stone and trees dotting the horizon. The picture is truly breathtaking and is just another reminder of the endless beauty that this planet has to offer.
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite of these images is the multilevel waterfalls in Australia! It is so beautiful to look at from the outside perspective, but actually going in and walking next to each of the fountains is probably just as a wonderful experience. Along with the image of the wave at its peak just as it is about to crash. Waves have always mesmerizing to me, and I love that image as the sun is setting. It takes me back to being on the beach all day long.
ReplyDeleteLife is constantly passing us by like waving in an ocean and I think that's why the image of the sky resembling a roiling sea stuck with me. When people wish to be free, they look to the sky, for centuries as it has been filled with birds who are as free as can be. Freedom is wonderful and beautiful, but it is also unknown. It is that large wave rising above the aft side of the ship that leaves the crew wondering if they'll make it home to their wives and children. The story, the adventure, the bonds, these things will never leave them, if one they make it past this wave. Freedom, is always in the future, always after that next big wave. It is what makes freedom so... so free.
ReplyDeleteThe other picture that captivated me was the picture of Mt. Fuji with the milk way rising up behind it, giving the appearance of a celestial volcano. I love space, I find it both enthralling and terrifying in equal amounts. Yet I also love nature for the very same reasons. Both are beautiful beyond compare and both can be deadly beyond belief. I find that life is at it's truest at places like that. It will bring out either the best or worst in people and everyone will know, that that is the real them.
The tabletop mountains in Venezuela really spoke to me. The small amount of time and space we take up in this world is astounding, as our impact can be so large. These mountains in my mind symbolize greatness, as the act as a metaphor for the view I want to have as an adult. I want to climb the tallest mountains, and then climb some more
ReplyDeleteWheat field next to lavender field really stood out to me for it shows a simple farm land of two different crops but shows beauty with the contrasting crops next to each other. Not only are the two crops different in crop type and farming/harvesting techniques but also in color, size, value. The wheat is tan and look dry while the lavender look fully of life and colored a deep purple. The crops have different values from the the way they are used and from the way it is pleasing to our senses. Lavender smells nice, looks pretty, therefore has a higher value when in a simple photo along with the historical reference of the value of lavender. The land shows so much beauty in the perfectly aligned dark green trees framing the crops with light blue mountains and a lighter blue sky. The sky is clear and looks peaceful.
ReplyDeleteSecondly, the sky that looks like a rough sea really stood out to me because it made me question if it were real or not and I find that that is a fascinating thought to have when something really is real. This photo captures a perfectly designed sky that shows beauty in a storming skies in simply reflections of color and shape of clouds. This is very interesting to look at and it feels almost captivating. The fact that it is raining is even beautiful because it's like the sea of the sky is raining water which will end up in another body of water. Anywhere there are clouds honestly could be considered small bodies of water as there is water in cloud in order for them to be formed and therefore if you really wanted to say that there was a sea in the sky, you really could.
As someone who has always lived in a desert, the lake that is 10 METERS deep is very surprising and astounding to me. And the place in Michigan that has no cars seems insane to think about. It must be tons more green for the environment, but it seems almost impossible because of how conditioned I am to that kind of technology.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed looking at these photos they are all really good and creative. I love how they are all so different and they give you a different perspective of the world. Many of places we probably would never see before technology it gives your mind a look into a part of the world we maybe haven't seen or would never see. I truly enjoyed the photo of the clouds over Australia, this was a different perspective of Australia that maybe not many have seen or would see unless you are somehow above the clouds. I love the color and shades of reds that contrast with the color of the clouds. I absolutely love the one of the moon kissing the ocean. Mainly because i have always loved the moon since i was a kid. But it looks so nice the fact that they managed to capture this image is amazing and i hope to do this someday. The red, yellow, and orange shades in the moon give it this touch of vibrance to the image as it is a complete opposite color from the dark blue shades of the ocean waves. Mount Fuji and the Milky Way is another of my favorites mostly because like i've mentioned the sky at night has always been my favorite. I love the starts and the colors and just the whole aspect of how the align. Also the SUPER MOON is my top favorite mostly because i have always wanted to take an image of the moon and just ive been so interested in the moon since a kid. I've always been told to talk to the moon when i feel sad and this something that i've done since a kid. I know it sounds weird to say i do that but I just love the thought of having the moon so close to us. I just absolutely love photography and have always wanted to travel the world and just simply capture all the wonders and beautiful parts of the world that most people never get to see.
ReplyDeleteWhile looking through all sixty-seven pictures it took awhile for me to decide between only two pictures because they were all beautiful. The two out of sixty seven pictures that caught my eye and I felt impacted me the most were how Mackinac Island in Michigan had banned cars since 1898, and a giant log you can drive through in Sequoia National Park. Both of these pictures have impacted my personal life emotionally and mentally even though neither of them relate to one another.
ReplyDeleteThe reason I chose Mackinac Island in Michigan was because I have been there. I was about ten. I remember taking a boat to get to the Island and my mom telling me that we had to either walk or ride our bikes. I was so excited to get to ride my bike but never understood fully why there weren’t any cars. Now thinking about it I still don’t. It never occurred to me to even research about the reasoning, but because they haven’t been on the island for around 120 years there must be a pretty drastic reason.The reason this image impacted me personally is because Mackinac Island is located in Michigan, which is also my home state and the feelings I have about Michigan are all over the place. I have associated good, bad, funny, as well as many sad feelings. I’ve gone through a lot while being there. Many ask “why do you go to Michigan in the first place?” and the reasoning behind that question is because my whole family lives there. Yes, it gets very cold there. Yes, they have snow in April but, it’s one of the prettiest places ever. The fresh air, the naturality of everything, the way where you can escape from everything, and how everyone knows everyone no matter which part of the state you live in. When you live in Michigan, you feel safe. It’s an escape from reality. Mackinac Island is a good representation as an escape from reality. No cars, old fashioned shops, all of the good things. I haven’t been to Mackinac Island in about six or so years but it’s definitely a place to go and visit. Just thinking about being there makes me want to go back even if we have to walk or ride a bicycle everywhere to get to your destination, it’s totally worth it.
While deciding on choosing another picture, the one that definitely caught my eye was definitely the giant log you can drive through in Sequoia National Park. I enjoyed this photo because it reminded me of one of my favorite Disney movies: “Planes: Fire and Rescue”. I connected both this picture and movie because in one scene you see the main character (Dusty Crophopper) fly through a whole in a tree for a plane, and a few feet below you see cars are going through one as well. I also was able to connect the pictures location to the movie because the hole where the planes and cars could go through was also located in a National Park in the movie. I was able to connect a picture to a movie connected with my earlier childhood and present life.
The picture of the log you can drive through doesn’t have any significant emotional meaning like the picture of Mackinac Island, but I was still able to connect to both of them personally in a way I wouldn’t have thought of before.
I decided to look up the actual reasoning for Mackinac Island not having cars on the Island for around 120 years considering there must’ve been a pretty drastic reason, or if it was just to take care of the island and not pollute the air or anything.