C.S. Lewis, one of my all time favorite human beings (whom I have never met, but feel I know) writes about a friend who was truly there for him when his beloved wife, Joy, died of cancer. A renowned academic from Oxford University, Lewis had many friends and colleagues. When she died, many were there for him, and all were, undoubtedly, well-meaning. They visited and talked with him, offering them their condolences and words of understanding. Those who shared his Christian faith offered him words of encouragement. But it would seem, according to Lewis, all of these words, lovely and articulate as they may have been, left him empty.
It was a friend who stopped by his home one day several weeks after his wife's death, who truly sustained him. He didn't say anything extraordinary or profound. In fact, he didn't say anything at all, he just sat down beside Lewis while he grieved, not saying a word, just listening with him in the silence; filling the space with his presence, offering him his own human "being-ness." No words of apology. Not one offer of understanding and encouragement. He just sat with him, bearing the heavy burden of loss in that room, feeling the emptiness with him, allowing the melancholy silence to encircle them both.
Lewis writes that this was the friend who truly understood--who was the blessing to him in his darkest hours. The loneliness was terrifying, but this friend was there to feel it alongside him. Two friends, separated by experience, the only sign of life their shared breathing in a room together. Lewis said that volumes were spoken by his friend in the quiet that day... they were, in essence, joined by the language of presence.
In his book entitled A Grief Observed, Lewis writes: "Imagine a man in total darkness. He thinks he
is in a cellar or dungeon. Then there comes a sound. He thinks it might be a sound from far off--waves or wind-blown trees or cattle half a mile away. And if so, it proves he's not in a cellar, but free, in the open air. Or it may be a much smaller sound close at hand--a chuckle of laughter. And it so, there is a friend just beside him in the dark."
I have experienced this quite precious phenomenon just a few times in my life, once, when I was just out of college, enduring what I thought would be the worst possible heartbreak of my life. Nothing seemed like it would ever hold any joy for me ever again. I had lost the love of my life, a young man who had been my best friend in high school, and my sweetheart for five years beyond, and now, it was over. I didn't want to hear that I would love again, or that everything would be alright in time. I didn't want to be told that what I was experiencing was nothing new, but the age old right of passage experienced by nearly every young woman at LEAST once in her life. I certainly didn't want to hear that familiar adage: "This may be the first heart break, but it certainly won't be the last."
Words are powerful, there is no doubt. They can help, heal, hinder and harm. They can also really make you mad--often times when they come with good intentions. But that day, my good friend and apartment mate Bryn came home from work, saw me crying quietly, and said nothing. She went to the kitchen, poured two glasses of wine (I was 23 so it was okay!) sat one in front of me, and then sat down next to me with her glass. She said nothing. No "I'm sorry," or "That really sucks," or even "He'll be sorry one day." She just sat there next to me, with one arm around my shoulder drinking her wine, and letting me cry. I'm not sure how long we were there, a half hour, or maybe two, but when I started to talk about the sorrow I felt, and how I couldn't imagine being happy, she just listened. She held my hand and sometimes nodded in agreement, but she said NOTHING. She just was. She was there, like a priest, I guess, listening to me pour out my heart...waiting. She seemed to understand that truth that sometimes when we try to comfort someone in their suffering, we belittle it, and that is something no one needs in their darkest of moments.
When I'd had enough, she just said, "Let's go out and see a movie. I'll buy you some cheesecake."
That was it. One sentence. Not much wisdom to be found there, but there was truly an ocean of comfort in her just being there. Words I don't know how to say and meanings I cannot define were spoken in her presence.
We are human beings, not human doings. Yet, in the fast-paced, hyper-drive demands of life, we don't act like it. To be appreciated and honored by someone's mere presence is truly nothing short of a miracle. We are. We exist. And more than that, we co-exist, and when words fail, or there are no words that work to comfort our grief and our pain, it is the presence of one we love that offers all the communication we need. It's like its own separate language...one that is felt rather than heard.
When my father died, I remember coming home from the hospital, and suddenly finding myself unable to breathe. His "gone-ness" was overwhelming me. It felt like a wave was crashing over my head, over and over again, not allowing me a second to process what I had just lost that day. I couldn't get my head above the water of grief. It was too much. I panicked and was hysterical. I didn't know what to do. That man who had cared for me, taught me, carried me; the man who had so often been my strength and security was gone. In a world that often seemed like a dark and bottomless void, he was the island. Now, where was my footing? To whom could I go for that wise, sound, logical and loving guidance?
It was my husband this time who was there. Somehow, he knew. He had walked through losing his father, and he knew what I needed to hear more than anything: Nothing. He knew there were no words that could make this even remotely close to better. He helped me up off the floor, took me over to sit, and he just held me and stroked my hair while I cried and shook. It's not something I like to talk about or share, being so weak and completely vulnerable, but I remember feeling like more than I had ever read or heard in my entire life was being said in that moment. It was almost as if through him, my father was reaching out to me. His silence was my comfort--a lighthouse, if you will, reminding me that there was secure footing, and even though this would be one of the worst days of my life, I could still stand on solid ground with confidence.
What does this mean for you? You are all very young, and I desperately hope that you have not yet experienced a sorrow that eats you alive and leaves you unable to breathe. But if you have, well, maybe there is some bittersweet gift to be found in that. Perhaps you are stronger--wiser--and more than that, you may one day find yourself in the role of C.S. Lewis's friend; understanding that when you find a loved one drowning in the darkness of despair, you cannot give them the "right words." In fact, you won't offer words at all. You will just be--sharing their air, drinking in the sadness and hopelessness right along with them. And then they will understand how powerful we truly are, just in our existence, and how there is a wisdom and a truth in the silence.
In his article entitled The Art of Presence, Woods summarizes it perfectly: "What seems to be needed
here is the art of presence--to perform tasks without trying to control or alter the elemental situation. Allow nature to take its course. Grant the sufferers the dignity of their own process. Let them define meaning. Sit simply through moments of pain and uncomfortable darkness. Be practical, mundane, simple and direct."
So, now it's time for you to post your response. Here are two tasks:
1. I wish to share a story that I shared last year in a blog about waiting. But I believe this story has much more to do with offering the gift of presence to others. Please read it by clicking on this link. You may offer your thoughts on the story, too! It is a memorable one, so I am sure many of my seniors will recall it. Maybe a year will give you a new insight to it: http://kentnerburn.com/the-cab-ride-ill-never-forget/
2. What is the language of presence to you? How does it communicate with no words or sound? You don't have to share anything too personal if you don't wish, but this is a language class. There are more and sometimes better ways to speak than with words. I would love to hear about yours...
There is a sweet music in the silence,
if you really listen,
closely,
carefully,
deliberately,
you will hear....(Caraway, 2007)







This story or article has left me deep in thought, much like how the narrator felt after leaving the woman. This story was really nice to read and, yes, really has just left me deep in thought, im almost speechless. Really for this blog post as a whole im speechless. Speechless not in the way that I don't know what to say, speechless in the way that I don't know how to say it right, if that makes sense. Which that might be fitting for the fact that you shared a story about a friend sitting in silence,listening, but I don't know. Okay but the whole idea of The Language of Presence intrigues me. I can't say much about it but I feel as if I've experienced both sides of it a time or two. It can feel like a great thing to expedience yet a horrible thing to experience, but, horrible in a good way. Yea.
ReplyDeleteThe Cab Ride I'll Never Forget was amazingly powerful and to be honest I'm struggling to find words to describe how I feel. I want to share I want to be kind to as many people as I can and that being the person who people want to go to for comfort is who I really want to be. The blog is a major help Mrs. Caraway, I've not been good at comforting others and I really never knew why but its because I never went through real tragedy until my Grandfather died in late January this year. In those days following the news, I really didn't know what I wanted from my friends and family, my dad was off to the Netherlands for the Funeral along with my sister and the only people left were my mother, brother and I at home. When I arrived back at school I didn't get condolences or, "I'm sorry" because I realized that presence is the only true comfort that really helps so I didn't tell everyone I knew, I only told those close around me. And well Miss Norris of the First Period Class of HL Language and Literature was the greatest comfort to me. She knew the art of presence even though I didn't and well, because she was there for me, I didn't need several days before going to school like I thought I needed at first.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, Thank you Mrs. Caraway for the blog post. This was something that really spoke out to me and for all students around me who are reading this and just finding out about the sad news, I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I didn't want all the attention and I still don't. I hope this blog and article were as powerful and a good read to you as they were to me.
The article was truly something beautiful to say the least. It is a great example of how our actions and decisions as small as "not driving off or honking" can affect other individuals. As grim as it might be, over the course of the last 5-6 years, there have been a quite a few deaths that have affected people close to me. With this, I have found that I feel a bit uncomfortable showing sorrow to these individuals. I much rather just accompany them in silence then to tell them "its going to be okay" because at that moment, those words mean nothing to someone who just lost a close relative or friend. I rather be there to listen to what they have to say than to give them advice or motivational saying that won't be taken to heart in that moment. Its a fresh wound that will take time to heal. With this, I rather be the bandage that protects the wound but doesn't do anything to physically start the healing process. I believe that healing comes from within so its up to the person to decide how and when this is going to happen.
ReplyDeleteI have been in situations where I feel utterly lost in my thoughts or feelings and have this sense of desperation of wanting this feeling to end. When I do discuss with my friends about these instances, I recieve a shower of "I'm sorry", "that sucks", and "at least..." which do absolutely nothing to make me feel better. I much rather prefer having their company where we don't talk about the issue. It's the idea of having someone there and not receiving judgement or opinions from others. For me, silence is a mental healing process.
I remember this story very well. I remember that it left a lasting impression on me last year about living in the moment and trying to not rush life. As a kid we want to grow up and can't wait to be adults so we can do whatever it is we want. But now that I'm 18 I want nothing more than to go back. Even two years.( a tale as old as time) So I'm trying to appreciate the present and what I have now. I think appreciating the present requires presence in the the moment. I think it's much more than physical presence but presence of the soul and making even the smallest interactions with the environment and people around you. At my job I have split second interactions where I'm delivering food to people. I can see a difference in the impact my interaction has on them. If I am enjoying myself and in the moment the customers are engaged as well and we make a genuine connection even if it's for just a couple seconds.
ReplyDeleteThe story about the cab driver is one that is so unique, but easily memorable. Interactions, whether they be big or small, leave an impact. This impact can be good or it can be bad, but i'm sure most of us prefer the impact to be good. It doesn't take long to offer someone a smile or hold the door for them. We have so many big, memorable moments in life and sometimes we seem to miss the little ones. These little moments might be the ones that matter the most. In the lives of others, our little moments may be their big moments. It is important to be conscientious about our actions. A little smile can change someones day; maybe even save their life. Humans are very social creatures. Sometimes all we need is the presence of another person to make us feel okay and at peace with the world again. If we spend too long by ourselves, I think we begin to lose our perspective of the world and even of ourselves. Even if you haven't suffered through some sort of horrible and tragic event, human presence can always be comforting and a cure to sadness.
ReplyDeleteThe language of presence in my eyes is almost or even more powerful than words. I believe that everyone has a certain sense of energy to them that is shown and even sometimes shared with other people. It could be something loving, like the comfort some people get when sitting with their mother or the unease someone might get when they are with a so called, shady character. Much of this comes from the way someone presents themselves with their body language. If someone has a hostile posture to them, people are more likely to read their presence as dangerous but if someone has a calm way in which they are standing, or walking or even smiling then their presence is much more enjoyable. Although body language isn't the only thing that create this language or certain presence of someone. Preexisting knowledge of someone, no matter how extensive, can create the language of presence. For example if you know your mother to be comforting and safe than that is the feeling you will usually get around her no matter if shes talking or not. As well as in the story, once the cab driver learned about the old women it created a certain type of feeling in the cab without words having to be exchanged. Overall the language of presence to me is the idea of being able to create an emotion without words or drastic actions.
ReplyDeleteI am speechless and disappointed that I have not had the chance to experience the language of presence for myself. Reading about how someone's presence is just as powerful as words, strangely gives me comfort. It makes me have hope in the world, that there are genuine people who care. I agree that people need to have pain in their life, so that they can be appreciative of what they have. Pain, I believe, is what molds a person. Most people believe that "greatest moments" can only blossom from good things, but to me I believe the "greatest moments" happen when you least expect it to; it can be surprising and thrilling to discover that your pain is a part of the "greatest moments". From this article I believe the language of presence is a "greatest moment" that is unexpected, the unexpectedness of finding comfort in a stranger- or finding that just the presence of someone is comforting.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a deep topic, and a topic that really hits home. I grew up with a dog, who was my best friend, and I loved her so much. She always went to bed with me and would never cease to not make me smile. When she got sick, I didn't know what to do but sob and because of that time, it has ruined the song "Love you like I'm going to lose you." The first time I heard that song, I was holding her in my arms. The day she passed I was getting ready for a concert. We found out as we were leaving for the performance. I went, I performed and when I got home all I needed was someone to hold me and allow me to cry. This just solidifies that words mean as much as someones presence and that's all you need in a time of sorrow.
ReplyDeleteThis story gets to me every time I read it. This year was definitely a new perspective. I adore the lessons this story provides me with each time I read. It's a kind reminder to be the best I can be no matter the situation because there's always a bigger picture. The language of presence is an interesting topic. Last year I lost my grandfather and I experienced this. I had called him just hours before he had a heart attack which lead to more and his eventual passing. My boyfriend at the time, allowed me to grieve the way I needed. After he had officially left the world, I continued to go to school because I was tired of the phone calls and the questions and the comments people continued to interject into my life. At school, no one really knew, and I asked them to keep it quiet. My grandpa was and has always been my best friend so the only thing I felt was empty. The morning following his death, when I arrived at school, I got into my boyfriends care and essentially cried endlessly into his shoulder. He just held me there. It's something I will be forever grateful for and am unlikely to ever forget as it was the most resolved I had felt up to that point. No one spoke. I just listened to my thoughts until they went quiet and I heard myself cry. He temporarily filled part of that void for me when I needed it. That best defines the language of presence to me. It's not something you can fully explain because this language is something you feel, a sort of understanding and fullness, yet empty and numb. This experience has allowed me to grow because, like the story about the cab driver, I was able to be one of the last people to talk to my grandpa and I was able to tell him stories, information, plans, and most importantly how much I loved and appreciated him. None of us knew what was coming, but I believe God lifted me to be my best self that day and drove me to call him at that time. I asked the same questions as in the story, the "what if" questions. That's why I try my best to be the best version of myself everyday. Thank you for this healthy reminder.
ReplyDeleteThe story for the second time, has left me absolutely speechless. It is so easy for us to miss all of the small things that make life meaningful. I can't begin to say the number of time that I have had to step back and think about what could have been different if I would have spoken up or done something other that what I originally had. It also brings to light the overwhelming importance of life and being there for each other. No matter if it's a stranger or your best friend, just sharing a few moments can impact a person's life immensely. As for the language of presence, I think that it is a very powerful thing. Sometimes just being there for somebody even without words can mean all the difference. Personally, I have a friend (who shall remain anonymous) that was really struggling with their life and believed it to be not worth living. Having these thoughts is sadly, more common than it should be in this generation; and to be quite honest, in a lot of these instances, words may not be the best way to be there for a person. In any hard situation, there is always a set of words or phrases that you feel obligated to say but in reality don't make anyone feel better. Such as, "it will get better","everything will fall into place" etc. In difficult scenarios we as people don't want to have to wait for these things to "get better" we want relief for the now. So sometimes the best remedy is sometimes just being there. No words, just maybe a drive listening to music or watching a movie. Even though presence alone does not speak, it means so much.
ReplyDeleteThe language of presence is how people feel with each other when they are silent. It can be comforting or awkward. It communicates with emotion by being near.
ReplyDeleteI love this story so much. What really speaks to me is that by listening to the woman's words and her silence, he was able to live a whole life in two hours. He was able to experience a world he had never known. He learned and grew wiser. I am a speaker. I am always one to tell a story. True, I listen at times but I have a big mouth. Maybe I wont get the chance this man had but I will benefit from listening.
ReplyDeleteThe language of presence to me is a silent, comforting touch or hug. Presence can be good or bad, so touch is what really communicates to me. I have always been a lover of physical expression and when someone can affirm their love with a touch, I am comforted. Being there for someone is one of the best ways to show someone how much you care in my opinion.
The article really surprised me to be honest, it was such a simple story and gesture behind what the man did but it held great meaning to it that he would have never expected.The story has opened up my eyes to situations such as this to be more kind, welcoming, and generous to others. Which, personally I find myself forgetting to do at times when I'm rushing through my day and trying to focus on what I need to get done. The small action and big impact of this story truly taught me that you do not need to do much to help others, that sometimes just being kind can be enough.
ReplyDeleteWhen it comes to my personal experiences, I have also found that having someone there to "exchange" each others presence is very helpful along with having someone just listen. Often in these moments, people can feel very raw and vulnerable, and the last thing they want is for someone to share their opinions and judgements on the situation. Normally if I were in this kind of situation I would hope to just have someone to listen to how im feeling, and distract me from what im feeling. This simple action allows me to feel almost free from how bad I could have been feeling, and allows me to express what i'm feeling without needing to do much.
This story stood out to me and helpped me realize that such a simple action can make such an impact on someone whether it is negative or not. This story was in a way shocking for me to read, because if I were to place myself in her shoes I would've been very grateful for the cab driver and all the little things he did for me even though they have such an impact. Its crazy how such a simple thing can change the outcome in a situation in a variety of ways. I believe that the cab driver had a gut feeling not to leave, in which resulted in an amzing last experience for the woman. The languange of presence is a main factor for coomforting someone because sometimes even if youre silent, just the fact that you're there with that person can change things drastically. I believe that words has the same amount of comfort as someone being there for you. In some situations words might frustrate you because its the same old saying " It'll be okay", although it just makes everything worse because you already know that eventually everything iwll be okay. In cases like those one might prefer someones comfort over their words in a heart beat. For example, I prefer doing things when I am going through a hard time because I like to get things off my mind.
ReplyDeleteThe story was very moving. It reminded me of my Grandma. My Grandpa passed away a couple years ago so now she’s all alone up in Surprise. We visit her as often as we can and she keeps busy in her community, but she’s still alone. I even called her right after reading this just because it reminded me that I haven’t called her in a while. It also caused me to reflect on my own work. I work as a hostess so I’m constantly interacting with strangers as the first face they see when they enter a restaurant. I have no idea what is happening in their life and what their story is, and they don’t know mine. If I’m tired and a little cranky because I’ve worked a long shift, they don’t know. They just think I’m a nasty person and this must be a nasty restaurant.
ReplyDeleteThe language of presence to me is just being there when you need to be there. I remember when my grandpa passed away, I decided to come to school as I knew I would not be able to handle it if I was alone. One of my not-so-close friends at the time just let me cry and go through what I couldn’t go through at home, and now we’re as close as two friends can be. It communicates so much compassion and care when you are the physical warm being to someone.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMrs. Caraway, this story has rendered me speechless. The events that I have done in the past 5,971 days of my life pale in comparison to this moment that Mr. Nerburn had. Concluding the reading, I had to pause for a second to gather myself, for it is hard to imagine the gravity of the gift he brought this woman; the magnitude of his kind gesture is one that is unfathomable.
ReplyDeleteI took a moment, after looking at both stories, to reflect upon my life, seeing what I have done and how my actions have lead me to the point I’m at now. And I am grateful.
Like the passengers of a cab, friends come and go. However, there are a select few that have cared enough to stay in touch. And although I haven’t made the time to, I’d like to thank them. They’ve given me moments I can never forget and because of them, I have been shaped into me, this kid writing right here ;)
These stories have revolutionized the way I view my life: I should not take moments or people for granted. Before you or I know it, it could be a lonely world like the one told by the elderly women we read about in The Cab Ride I’ll Never Forget (I promise, I’m no Debby-Downer; I’m not saying that’s going to happen to everyone and I am in no way implying that that woman had it coming. I promise I’m not a jerk). As I had said, people come and go. And it’s times like now, in high school, to live and learn to love the people who make you happy. Because, and seniors, you’ll soon experience this, the ones you care for may part ways from you or you’ll be off to college or the military or wherever your little heart takes you off to. And yes, you can keep in touch, but the likelihood of being able to frequently spend the time with them as you had before has vanished because life takes you elsewhere. Life has a funny way of introducing people to you that you never imagined you’d grow fond of. And, it’s life you’ve got to thank for giving you the opportunity to stumble into people who astound you.
“Great moments often catch us unaware…” - Kent Nerburn
What an amazing response! Accepting this reality that we might have to let go or grow apart from our friends can really allow us to live in the moment and enjoy who we have now. (Which is better than regretting that we did not appreciate what we have now when we look back at our high school career years later)
DeletePeople do come and go. That's not a bad thing to say, it's just true! But I think we need to take the time to determine the purpose for their entry into our lives....I believe there is one. Maybe its to teach us a hard lesson, or maybe it's to provide a support and encouragement at just the right time. I love that you pointed this out! We need to be open to receive it. That's our job.
DeleteI remember reading this story from last year, and once again, it refreshed my memory on the virtue of patience. The cab driver could have just as easily told the old woman that he did not have time to take her the long way around, but he decided that day that he was going to take the way she asked for, and also not ask for any compensation for the drive. The cab driver used his presence as a language for the woman. This was probably her last drive around town, as she was going to a hospice, and would be under the care of other people, and she wanted to enjoy it. She was able to do so, because of the cab driver being there for her, and just doing whatever she asked him to do. He did not have to say anything for her to understand and be thankful that he was just being there for her.
ReplyDeleteAt times, I also find myself in need of just the presence of a person. Quite a few times, it happens when I'm sad, because I do not like to talk about the reasons that are causing my sadness, but I do like it when someone is just there to comfort me. The most often time I find myself in the need of only a presence, however, is when I am angry. If something is really bothering me, I need to rant about it to get it out of my system. When I do this, I don't want anyone to say anything to me at all, I just want them to listen. I have found when people try to talk to me when I am in this state, I end up being annoyed even more, because people say stuff that I find dumb or stupid. However, just having someone to be there and listen to me makes me feel a lot better, and it helps me to appreciate the people around me so much more, just knowing that they care enough to let me let out all of the stupid things that I am feeling.
Dear Mrs.Caraway this story touches a soft part of me very time. Last year it brought tears to my eyes of the thought of the old lady remembering what to her was the “Good Old Days”. This year it brought me one more thing, peace. It brought me peace in the aspect of knowing that all it takes is one simple moment. It doesn't take an extraordinary place, time or event to create a life changing event. In all honestly all it took was an open minded person that was willing to say “yes” and follow the ride. The tone in which I see the author writing in is reflective. He memition how many different variable could have stopped him (like being in a bad mood) that could destroyed this possibility of a life changing experience. The story itself was not long but the quote that hit me the most was when the lady telling him “I’d like a few moments alone. ” before leaving the apartment. I could visually see her breathing deeply one last time with her eyes close as she remembers all the smell that were created in at apartment. I saw her looking across the room in slow motion to see ghost of what once were friends playing cards, laughing and family cooking while chatting of gosip. This quote itself is quite because it does not provide the reader with large amount of description or imagery. The lack in words cause this quote to be more meaningful in its simplest form. I honestly have to thank you for finding and taking the time to share such beautiful story with us these past two years. This one is by far one of the top ten.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading the story I have realized how much having patience and an open-mind can impact your life. If this cab driver had been impatient and just drove away after honking once then he wouldn't have had one of the best moments of his life. It has made me realize what I have taken for granted because of impatience or because of myself being close-minded, all the moments that could have changed my life that I missed out on.
ReplyDeleteAlso this has made me realize how unappreciative I have been towards my friends who have just been there for me even when I said I wanted to be left alone. Just having their presence made me feel better even if I try to deny it. I am forever grateful for the friends I have that stick by me even if I tell them to leave me alone, and after reading this i'm going to make sure they know how thankful I am because we never know what is going to happen in life next.
This article really had me in a deep thought when I finished reading it, asking myself "What opportunities have I have missed in my life like this?" The language of presence to me is doing an action or a small gesture to someones life, not knowing how it will impact their life and on the contrary how reflecting on it will impact your own life. It communicates I feel internally for example in your brain within your thoughts when speaking to yourself in your mind.
ReplyDeleteI love your idea of turning this story into a short film. How inspiring would that be!!
DeleteThe story about the cab driver is a story I probably won’t ever forget now that I’ve read it. The statement that stood out the most to me was near the end when he says, “We are so conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments. But great moments often catch us unawares.” I believe there is a lot of truth to that statement. We are constantly looking for the most memorable moments, the best things to say, or the best opportunities to come along that will allow us to make a big difference. However, a lot of the time we overlook the small things that may lead to great moments that could catch us unaware, and sometimes we may find ourselves unprepared for them. I feel as though that our presence can be just as important and sometimes even more effective than the things we have to say. Often times it can be hard to find the right words to tell the person that you really care or that you’re here for them and often times the simple but effective act of just listening and allowing for them to feel is all that they need and all that you can do. This blog made me reflect on my own life and moments where I have experienced something similar, but I don’t believe that I’ve experienced something so powerful just yet, but knowing the weight and importance of the language of presence is something that I will be able to remember when people around me are in need of it or when I am at a loss of advice due to a dire situation that may be out of my control. I feel as though humans, or just me personally, are constantly wanting to fix things that seem broken or make them better, which isn’t necessarily a good thing or a bad thing. Sometimes words cannot fill the void in someone and its important to remember that we don’t have to try to fix it through our words, but just being there for someone is all we can offer.
ReplyDeleteI so agree. Some of my favorite moments looking back over my life have been ones that are unexpected. I think there is a purposeful lesson in that. :) Little surprises are always there, and if we are rushing too fast through our lives, we can miss them.
DeleteWhile words have definite power, (my career is sort of based on that notion!) there is also a great power in just being. Hamlet's question in his famous soliloquy was not "To say, or what not to say," he was talking about being. Existing in life with others. There is a language, I believe, that is unspoken, but very much alive and detectable. Touching someone's hand, giving them a smile, or a nod, acknowledging them, these are all language. What's more, they are universal, and work anywhere in the world to connect.
ReplyDeleteThe story is about patience and it's really amazing. In my life, I've watched some one die right in front of me. Her last words were to me. She talked of her head hurting before and not feeling well but everyone thought maybe its a headache. Lisa has an aneurysm and died right before my eyes that night. In this time, I need a presence and I could be alone. My friend, Camilla, would come over and would spend a week sometimes just at my house. She knew about it. She never said anything. She came over and we did the same thing we always did. She would write on what pad and I would play Xbox. She was there and that's what matters and she had patience with me. she waited .
The language of presence to me is just knowing that I have people who genuinely care about me. I feel like sometimes it's better to not talk when going through something because it feels like a world has just collapsed. Just knowing hat I have people who will be there for me and will be okay with me not speaking is the best feeling in the world. Sometimes I feel silence is better so it doesn't make the situation worse and makes me feel more awful.The story really gave me an interesting view because anything can happen and most of the time there's nothing you can do to stop it. It showed me another view and moved me to talk to my friends after I hadn't and to always be there for them. Not knowing someone's battles might be safer so you can cope on your own and slowly get over it and move past anything.
ReplyDeleteThe Cab Ride I’ll Never Forget was an amazing story of kindness, altruism and true human connection. This story highlights what truly matters, real human connection. I was extremely moved when Nerburn decided to take extra time out of his shift to allow this woman to have a final trip through town before she went to the hospice. This was a truly beautiful and selfless act of kindness that made me reflect on my own actions towards others. The part of the story that particularly moved me was when the elderly lady asked Nerburn how much money she owes him and he refused to take her money. After taking all of this time out of his day to do this nice act for free shows that he is a man who is willing to give his time and be presence for others. If more people would follow his actions, the world would be a way better and happier place. My biggest takeaway from this article was derived from this quote: “What if I had been in a foul mood and had refused to engage the woman in conversation? How many other moments like that had I missed or failed to grasp?” This quote made me reflect on my own actions and when I wasn’t fully present or taking in a moment of time. Now on, I will think of this story when I’m not fully engaged in a moment.
ReplyDeleteThe language of presence to me can be simple and very particular depending on how you wish to define presence. To me, my definition of presence is anytime when someone is listening and conversing with me without their phone or technology distracting them. This is an act of complete attentiveness and empathy, leaving behind the distractions from the rapid, fast-pace online world. However, this form of presence is sooooo rare these days because many kids my age (and people in general) rather get instant gratification by liking a post than by forming emotional connections with another person (a connection that could last a lifetime). However, I digress. My language of presence is also similar to the kind Mrs. Caraway was describing in this blog. Sometimes, I just need someone to listen to me and allow me to vent instead of telling me how to fix my dilemma. There is a time and a place for fixing, but when I’m feeling sad or as if my emotions are boiling over like a volcano, all I need is someone to be there and listen to me. Overall, true presence (by my definition) is rare these days but is truly incredible when you give or receive it!
The article was incredibly moving. I was impressed the man went to the doors, he truly seems to show something many people seem to be missing, empathy and understanding of circumstance. I can’t imagine how I would react to this kind of situation. In the cases where people have confined in venting to me, I have done just what this blog is about… I was simply present. Sometimes all a person needs is that presence of a person to make themselves heard. I have been in this position as well as been the one who needed that present listener. When I just need to destress about a situation or get that bottled up emotion out, I go to a close friend and they just listen, sometimes with a response such as a solution to my problems. But honestly, I find that when I do let stories spill out to others I find my own solution just by telling it. I usually don’t even need help with finding answers. Just like the idea of writing goals out to make them come true, speaking out loud about an issue can get your brain on the right track to finding that once missing solution.
ReplyDeleteAs I read that article, the further I got, the more it started to come back to me. It's so incredibly moving. I definetely see the air of presence there, but what also stands out to me is the kindness of the cab driver. It's such an important reminder that we never know what someone else is going through. There is an importance in kindness and respect for others, which is what I think, in part, what the language of presence is. I believe humans were not created to be alone, and when we are suffering, we rarely want to truly be alone. It's like our need to tell someone when something happens to us; we need someone to know and to understand. And sometimes we don't want them to say anything because we are processing our own emotions our own way, we just don't want to be alone. As a person of faith, this is where I find a lot of comfort because I know I am never truly alone. His presence is always with me.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this article for a second time, it made me realize how special the smallest most simplest gesture could be to someone. This also shows me that we should try to be like the cab driver, we should be patient, positive, friendly, and caring towards others because we don't know what they could be going through; they could be going through a hard time and if we are impatient and rude it could only make that person feel worse, just like the cab driver said. I feel that this is such an impacting story that should help us reflect and pay attention to the little things we do. This story really communicated to me because it made me think of all the times I've been in a bad mood, and how that could have affected the people around me, it made me understand that life is short and we should appreciate every moment spent with those that we love, the people that make us happy,take every moment and make the most of it because we wont always be around that person. Like Dallas mentioned, people come and go and life introduces us to new people in its own funny way, and we never know how much a person can end up meaning to us.
ReplyDeleteWow. What an emotional master piece. The common theme of language of presence much has to do with the power of silence and action. Comfort throughout words but physical warmth and presence.Time almost stops a bit, giving space to breathe. When that man drove with that lonely lady. Yes they did take time but that wasn't the focus. The focus was that moment, through silence and sharing her memories of the past that brought her to her last moments/ present. The intimate connection of a 2 hour ride with someone you never knew but connected on a deep level in such a short time span.
ReplyDeleteA person who truly knows you and or what you've been through on a personal level can physically and emotionally dedicate there entirety to that one person in need is truly sacred.Both articles expresses such an emotional powerful ritual that I hope to some day do and be there for someone too. I've been stuck choked up wanting to express this emotion of sincerity or wanting to do something which I don't know how to process clearly, when a person is crying or just troubled. Not confident enough to give physical reassurance but distant with words scrambled in my head trying to express myself in the most cliche way, which I understand now is not the most effective way. Your blogs truly make me sit back and flip through my "scrapbook of memories", rethinking the way I generally process life.
Thank you.
I'm glad. :) You're welcome!
DeleteReading this article again reminded me to always appreciate the little moments you have with someone since you never know when you'll see them again. I think the language of presence is just being there for someone if they ever need you. My mom does this all the time, she constantly talks on the phone with someone listening to them. I always ask here how she does it and she just says "I feel like I make their day a bit better if I listen to their problems." My mummy is too nice, I don't deserve her. I think most of us think about the big moments most of the time and we forget about the little stuff. I also think that we should try not let our negativity show if we're in a bad mood or something so we don't look like jerks, I would hate if someone's first impression of me is to think i'm a mean person.
ReplyDeleteThe story of the cab driver is a great story of patience, kindness and as Mrs. Caraway put it, the language of presence. It has taught me to hold on to the moments I have with people because you never know what could happen of that person tomorrow. Always be kind and patient to everybody because you never know who they could be or what they are going through. I can't really think of a time when the language of presence has been a big deal in my life but I'm sure that it will happen and I hope that I can gain wisdom through the lessons I am learning right now so that I can apply them to that scenario.
ReplyDeleteI feel like in a world full of technology and distance, both "The Cab Ride I'll Never Forget" and the idea of the language of presence are truly important lessons to take with you through out life. The cab driver in the article make a very clear point, discussing the ideas of what we can miss in life based on our attitude towards others saying "great moments often catch us unaware". This quote stood out strongly to me, especially when considering all the other ways these words could be applied to our daily lives. We live in a generation where it's easier to send a text than to see someone in person or even talk on the phone, but what would change if we took the extra time to put more focus into the people we care about? Since things have been made so "easy", we often don't even have to leave our house to communicate ideas and it limits our experience with general human interaction. What do we miss by staying inside all day? It makes you question how different our own lives would be if phones and computers were never invented and how many of the people in you life would still be your friend or how many other people you would have met by now and would be apart of your life. Great moments definitely do come when we aren't expecting them and by limiting even verbal conversation we're missing things as simple as hearing another person's voice. I'm no better than the next person when it comes to this, and relating with the language of presence, I've noticed there are some things I have trouble saying out loud that so desperately should be discussed. Sometimes, in this case, being able to text or email someone else to discuss issues can be a positive to this kind of communication, but it makes things very impersonal when you're simply talking to a screen (a negative example of this being cyber bullying). I can go on rants all day, typing out my thoughts and feelings under any circumstances, but sometimes, since my words aren't in person, the same emotions aren't read through text and the person I'm talking to simply brush it aside. Not to mention, a lot of times in person I hold a very different demeanor than how I really feel and I'm not alone in this. There are very few people I feel I can talk to nowadays and be able to show a more vulnerable side to but the one or two people who do let me speak and express myself are the people I have a feeling will be in my life for a very long time. I know that I'm lucky to be where I am now and that everything negative going on in my life is so small compared to other people around the world, but pain is relative to the person. Something that might hurt me may not affect someone else or vice versa based on life experiences, so when something bad happens and I need to express my thoughts or feelings, it's nice to have someone there with me to talk to. Knowing someone is there for me is one of the best feelings I could ever ask for and even when they're not talking, they're there to comfort me and help me just by being in my life. I completely agree with the power of presence and the secret language behind it because I've always been taught that the people who stay with you through your hardest times will always be there for you in any way they can. I've had times where my best friend will be standing next to me or hugging me while I'm simply crying, bawling my eyes out, and neither of us will be saying a word, but they're there for me and that's all that matters. We don't need to speak to help the other because we know how to listen and how to comfort one another in the ways that help most.
ReplyDeleteI feel like the language of presence is by far the most powerful form of language. There have definitely been times in my life where I just needed to cry and have someone there to support me. In times like this, it is more helpful to just have someone there to listen rather than to try and give advice on things. I think that this is most helpful after a death, or a heartbreak, or even when you're just stressed.
ReplyDeleteBeing alone with someone while they are grieving is tough to do, but it is very powerful. It shows them that you care, and it shows you not to be selfish. The moment isn't about you. It's about comforting the other person, and silence is a language that can help with that. It gives both people time to reflect, like in the Cab story, and it can connect the two people together through that as well.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I hardly ever cry to things, that’s just how I am. But reading this, it really touched me because I can connect to it in a way people don’t think I can. My Gram went to the hospital for an infection in her spine that put her through so much pain she could hardly walk. Now I know it’s not the same situation but the author mentioned, “What if she had an angry cab driver.” Just mentioning the car the old woman was in; I also have those same thoughts, what if the nurses gave her too much medicine and made the infection spread. Little things stress you out when in a situation with someone you’re connected with.
ReplyDeleteThe part that really hit home for me was near the end of the story, “There was nothing more to say. I squeezed her hand once, then walked out into the dim morning light. Behind me, I could hear the door shut. It was the sound of the closing of a life.” This is the part when I started crying, yes she said she didn’t have much time to live, but she got to reminisce the memories she had growing up and with her husband, just because of this guy who had decency, who did his job.
The language of presence to me was, he didn’t rush her at all. If I was the cab driver and some person told me they didn’t have much time to live I wouldn’t drive around for approximately 4 hours, I would take them to the hospital worried. But this guy turned off his meter just to give her a last glance at the world and where she grew up. I noticed as a reader, the language of presence communicated with me through the actions of the cab driver, he devoted his time at 2:30 in the morning to this absolute stranger who had a little time left in her life.
I never really thought about it but I'm a crier, especially during a sad movie you will see me with tears. When somebody is going through a tough time/grieving the best you can do is just be there with them. No words need to be spoken just your presence will give them comfort and give them the idea that you care which is true. Silence is apart of language it is a motion that your partner or friend will understand and be thankful for when the time comes. The silence could as help that other person reflect in there own thoughts, and you just being there could help a thousand time more then you not being there.
ReplyDeleteHuman beings are not meant to be alone. The language of presence is quite strong. Although communicating with words can be really moving and influential, silence can also be very impactful. In the article, it reminds me that small gestures can make up great moments in life. Small gestures can include just being there for someone and showing your presence in someone's life to show that you care. It's that little things that count too. Communicating without words, but presence is intimate and can really bring people together and be impactful. Sometimes, silence is something you need to give someone. It gives them time to reflect and grieve. And by someone being there for them, it also gives them a sense of fulfillment rather than loneliness. For me, words are everywhere. I hear all the time but by having that change in communication (language of presence) makes the person's condolences more meaningful to me. When I cry, if someone starts talking or asking what's wrong, I melt down. But there are people in my life who will just look at me and I know that I can just let go of my feelings and grieve at my own pace. I know that no matter how down I feel, I'm still comforted with just their presence.
ReplyDeleteLOVE your first sentence. TRUTH. Very powerful way to start your response. I think if everyone in the world had someone special they could count on, we would be amazed at how much brighter the world would be!
DeleteReading this, I realized that the language of presence is so powerful, and sometimes being physically there for someone can mean more that anything you could ever say. More than half of communication is nonverbal, so this makes sense, but it's still stunning how much what we say pales in comparison to what we do. "The Cab Ride I'll Never Forget" was a perfect example of this. As others have said, this story was very emotionally impactful, and I'm still awestruck at the impact that one seemingly small action had on the elderly woman. When language fails, as it often does in times of intense emotions, just being there is the most powerful thing anyone can do. When my grandmother died, I felt like my world was coming to an end, but what I remember most from that time was not her death. After her funeral (which was in New Hampshire, where I was born), my cousin Jared sat down next to me and we just stayed in the snow for a while. I was really cold and still grieving, but at that moment I realized that I would be okay, eventually. Presence is a powerful thing, and sometimes all we can do is just be there.
ReplyDeleteReading the first two sentences, I was like “When did I read this”? Lol. But then I started to remember, I absolutely love this story and it make me rethink my recent acts and attitudes. I have been so impatient, and this story really makes me feel bad about how I have talked to my brother, mom, etc. Everytime I hear this story I rethink my attitude with the people I love and my constant urgency to be places, and makes me want to be kinder.
ReplyDeleteNerbun’s story to say the least, has stunned me. I feel as if I could relate to the magnitude it blamed on the man's life at least a little bit, because I have experienced a similar situation: when I went to New York and my grandmother’s brother drove my family around the area of Brooklyn where my grandfather grew up in the 1930’s. My grandparents have had such a profound impact on my life and it was beautiful to see where at least one of them came from. We wanted to go to my grandmother’s building as well, but we were STRONGLY advised not to go to that part of the Bronx. As I looked at the rundown apartment building, I saw the stories my grandfather retold come to life. While it wasn’t a stranger, I understand that feeling of seeing one’s life through a building.
ReplyDeleteThe language of presence is something I have only recently discovered, through first hand experience. This past October, my uncle died. I wasn’t necessarily close with him because he had cerebral palsy and has lived in an assistance home since he was 12. Since he only could ever say a few words, I wasn’t sure if he really could comprehend who I was. And while I feel guilty about this, the home scared me as a child. As I got older, I wasn’t scared of those different than me, but it was still a hard place to be. At his funeral, I just held my grandparents’ hand. There was nothing else I could do. What do you say to someone who just lost their child? Especially to a loved one?
The language of presence provide comfort. It communicates to that person that you are there for them, whatever they need, and you aren’t going anywhere. Physical words just bring more pain because nothing that can be said can replace or bring comfort to the pain that person is feeling.
The story of the cab driver is so simple but truly shows the importance of being present in someone's life. The ending is always what really gets to me, when the narrator reflects on if he had been impatient or rude and decided to not share that moment with the old woman. It really makes me wonder if I've ever missed the opportunity to share my presence with someone. Since the first time I've read it, my perspective has changed a bit as I've grown over the past year and have learned to truly appreciate the language of presence. I am not a very talkative person. I don't usually like sharing a lot of my thoughts, emotions, or personal life with others, and I can not emphasize how grateful I am when someone comes along and recognizes that I do not always need to talk about anything and everything, I just need someone to be there for me. I feel like in a generation with an incessant need to share our words through texts, or the internet, or social media, we place such great importance on needing to say important and powerful statements to comfort others, and we don't realize how simply being present for someone else can mean more than words ever could. I love this story and hope that we can all learn to acknowledge that sometimes the best way to say something is to say nothing at all.
ReplyDelete1. I remember the cab driver story, and honestly it is once of the cutest stories I have read. However it carries a huge message, which is to always be aware and be kind. We are often times caught up in our own lives (I believe many of us do this unintentionally) that we are unaware of others. This story really showcases how impactful it can be to really be aware of others and how much kindness can do (positively) for another person. Acts of kindness never have to be intricate, as the simplest things can convey so much (as with the cab driver). I really enjoy this story because of its heartwarming message. It always encourages me to do all that I can to be a positive light to others.
ReplyDelete2. The language of presence I feel is really huge. It something that we look back on and go "wow, this person helped me so much, not even doing much at all". I have a person in my life that is very much someone who just listens to me, and she has become someone I appreciate so much for this (among many other things). Just being there and showing someone you are there shows so much support without having to convey anything with words. Seeing someone support me through their presence really I have found leaves such a positive impact on me, and can be one of the most heartwarming things as you try and fight your battles. Personally, I find myself trying to just convey (through my actions) that I am there for people, and I feel it is best form of support I can give a person, to let them know that I am there and on their side. Sometimes I feel that it is hard to find the right words to say or what may be the best advice to give, but what communicates just as much is showing someone that you are there and are willing to be there for however long they need. It is an action that at times speaks louder than any words.
This story definitely touched me. The lasting impact you can have on someone in a time of trouble can often go unnoticed until later. The fact that our presence can be just enough speaks volumes as it shows how much simple things can help in the worst of times.
ReplyDeleteMe, personally, am definitely familiar with finding peace and comfort simply in someone's presence. I have experienced a time in my life where I too, was overwhelmed with absolute and utter sadness, and didn't really know where to go or what to do other than just cry and be so devastated all the time. I did, however, have a select few people, that by just sitting there, and embracing me and just being there while I poured out my heart really meant something. In moments like that all you want is for everyone else around you to feel exactly what you're feeling, because you want someone to understand you, and expressing what you're feeling in that way to someone to just listen definitely makes you feel like someone understands.
The cab story is a great example to us that we need to act on thoughts or feelings that we have, at the end of his story, he said all of the “what if’s”, what if the old lady had gotten a different driver, what if he had just left, or been in a crabby mood. He had influenced this woman’s life so much and it could have slipped away so easily, then he wonders of how many other moments he had missed. We look for these monumental moments through adventures and planned excursions, but his simple act of driving this woman around town basically replaying her life and listening to her stories was everything to her. I had never thought of comforting someone by just being there, letting my silence and presence be the most important thing. When I am needed to help someone cope I always show up, I have always known that making that effort to be present and there for them is essential, but I had always assumed there was more value in what I could say to ease their burden. However the most comforting thing we can do is be there and attempt feel the sort of pain that they are going through, this way we can absorb some of the pain ourselves and attempt to understand what they need.
ReplyDeleteEven reading the one man’s story for the second time gave me further insight into the reality of life and the fact that being a nice and caring person at all times will inevitably impact your life positively.
ReplyDeleteThe language of presence is something I feel like I’ve explored somewhat in my life so far and would like to explore even further. I’ve never really experienced a time where I have to comfort someone in a tragic situation with my presence, but I feel like I have in less extreme situations where to me the language of presence is really just listening to the other person, everything spoken and unspoken. The language of presence communicates through the act of simply being there. The act of being there for someone creates an instantaneous bond and inherent understanding that simply happens and doesn’t need words to communicate.
I remember this story from last year and how it dealt with patience. I looked back and read my response to see what I thought of it at that time. I saw that I still feel the same now than I did before in the patience aspect. I can see how this experience fits in with offering the gift of presence too.
ReplyDeleteThe language of presence to me is when someone is there mentally or physically with you. I know that when I was super upset, my friends would call me up and either talk to me about things to distract me or we would just be in silence. And when they were there with me, we did the same thing. Same vice versa with me to them, where my presence was there for them.
Language of presence, with or without words, communicates by having the sense or aura of protection, belonging (opposite of isolation), trust; makes everything with that person that is in the presence of the one who needs it have a greater connection between them.
One time, my friend was going through a really rough time in her life dealing with her family. She wanted to get away from them and picked my house to do so. Which at the time seemed odd, because I never had a friend who would just randomly show up at my house. Although I was currently busy cleaning up my room, I opened the door for her, and she immediately wept in my arms because of how upset she was. Her parents drove away and left her at my house. We talked for a while to help distract her mind, after a while, I let her stay in the guest room. I told her that I would leave a glass of water outside the door if she wanted to drink some; that she can also close the door for privacy and silence. Although we werent there side by side, I was still there mentally kind of for her. Since I was in my room cleaning, with my door open just in case she needed anything. So my presence was still there with her. I feel like my presence did somewhat help in a way because from then on we became so much closer than any before. She knew that she had someone trustworthy enough to take care of her when she needed it.
The language of presence to me is something truly amazing, the fact that something so simple can be so influential and helpful to a person. Having that someone whether it be a friend or a family member can make all the difference when someone is going through a tragic time in their life. The silence and comfort is all a person really needs, after some time, having that comforting figure really changes mood of the person experiencing the tragedy (a heartbreak, the loss of someone special) in their life. I did lose my grandpa many years ago, though I didn't know him very well, I have no memories or him or ever seeing him, though there is a picture where I was standing next to him which is how I know I knew him at some point. Now grown-up I do feel guilty for not knowing him, and not understanding what had actually happened many years ago. This feeling of not understanding in a way kept me from feeling the grief I should've but didn't feel. To this day, I still don't know much about him though I know some things from the stories my dad tells me about him. However, I do know that having someone to lean on, for comfort and solely for their presence can greatly ease the pain someone is feeling, because having that someone there for you is really all you need in these dark times. They are the light that guides you out of the darkness.
ReplyDeleteI do remember reading Kentner Burn's story about his cab ride with an old woman, and to me that story is very impactful because it shows that if you are just willing to be a little more compassionate, patient, silent, helpful, etc., you can have such a profound, positive impact on someone else's life. It does make me think about how many times in my life I may have missed an opportunity like that, and it makes me want to be on the look-out for more of them.
ReplyDeleteTo me, the language of presence has had an interesting impact on me in my life. I don't usually like silence (such as in class, where if a teacher asks a question and nobody answers, I will). However, I do like presence. I like being around my friends. We don't have to be doing anything or talking, but to just be around the people I like and enjoy is an awesome thing. It makes you feel good knowing people like/care enough about you to spend their time just being there with you.
Another aspect of how "presence" works in my life is how I tend to cope with death/loss by just imagining that those people I've lost are simply always there, always watching through the thick and thin. It allows me to not have to feel a sadness of loneliness/loss and to focus on the positive parts of life. So to me, the language of presence communicates both compassion and comfort to know you're cared for and not alone.
Both the blog and the story of the cab driver spoke absolute volumes to me in particular. If I am speaking honestly, March has been the most emotionally and physically draining month of my entire life. Despite all the negative that has impacted my life this month I can whole heartedly thank god for the friends that I have and the support they offered. They understood. Much like your first heart break and the the silence the cab driver offered the dying woman, they gave me the same kindness. As I was broken time and time again, my friends were there for me in silence and gave me a sense of comfort. One friend in particular, was offered more than what I needed as I complained and cried to her over the phone she listened and didn't say a word just agreed, she was there to let me know that I wasn't in this alone and no matter what I might've believed, I was loved. Looking back, those moments may have been the absolute worst times of my life, but knowing that I have the comfort of loving friends makes me appreciate the fact that I endured the hard times just a little more :). That being said, I think there are a few things that can be learned from varying degrees of hardship. The first being, to not let bad moments define you. Take the time to grieve, but never let yourself become so overwhelmed with grief that you lose sight of the bigger picture. Two Don't wait for an opportunity or a shot at something you want, make the opportunity. Life is too short for self doubt and low self esteem and if you want something you should seek it, no matter the consequences. If you fail and feel down, there always the friends that love and support you to be there and support with silence. This just goes to show that being present, truly is the greatest present.
ReplyDeleteI genuinely feel that those moments define the word "bittersweet." While they may go down as the worst moments, they highlight the best people in our lives, too. They make us appreciate joy and love and give us a true sense of the value of friendship.
DeleteI knew what that story was as soon as I read the title, and it is definitely a favorite of mine. I like how he mentions that we can miss these kinds of special moments if we're not patient in our daily lives. He truly used his language of presence by just driving her to all of her places of memory, sitting quietly as she talked, or sitting in silence as she reminisced.
ReplyDeleteI think the language of presence is simply showing someone that they aren't facing a trial by themselves by simply being there with them. There is so much comfort to be found in not being by yourself at times when you feel the most alone. Just having someone there by your side provides an indescribable amount of comfort and calmness. I find this to be particularly helpful during times of great stress due to schoolwork, or some social situation that's bothering me. I definitely appreciate the people around me who would be willing to just sit with me and listen or sit in silence so that I don't feel alone during these moments.
For me, this blog and article was an eye-opener on how empty words can distance you from those in grief. Personally, I hate it when people say, “it’s okay” or “I’m sorry,” but I never realized how much I say those things to other people. I thought it was just me who hated these empty responses, so I continued to give them; when I should have just listened.
ReplyDeleteI think that I have only experienced the language of presence once in my life, and it was exactly what I needed. Reading this blog and the story of the cab driver helped me realize that sometimes the presence of someone else is all you need to get through the bad times. I hope that I can learn to be more like the cab driver, and support those close to me or even others I don’t know, by just being there.
This blog contains a bit of truth that I'm glad has been expressed and I feel was in great need of being expressed. Though I by no means have the experience to be able to share bits of wisdom like someone who may be twice my age can, I have come to notice that when people are swallowed up by their sorrows, it is perhaps not the best thing to try and talk it out with them/for them. When a child is crying profusely, their greatest comfort is having a stuffed animal they can hold close to themselves or being in the arms of a parent or someone they look up to. Simply stated, you can't expect to console bad weather into calming down; "rain, rain go away, come again some other day" had never accomplished anything.
ReplyDeleteThough I'd preferably not get into the details, I recall having someone simply be there for me before, it was such a wonderful feeling. It had not only completely succumbed to saddening thoughts but I was also frightened because I felt like there was no way I could ever be happy again. I felt like I was drowning in a 'pool' that continuously got deeper and deeper and finally, when someone came to literally just be there for me, it was like I had finally found hold to climb up and out of the 'pool'. I had this innate reaction inside that slowly brought me up and out of my little slump.
There is a lot to be said about the power of someone's warm presence.
The gift of being present goes an immensely long way, and I know from experience that just having someone that is willing to listen to you when you need to vent or is there for you in your moments of deep sadness is the greatest gift one can give. In our busy lives today we make it somewhat of a challenge to just pause for a moment to be still and be present for someone when they need it, and that is likely one of the biggest mistakes we can make. We may think to ourselves that being present for someone is really no big deal, but to that other person it can actually mean the world to them. The small little actions that Mr. Nerburn took that others may not of took may of made an incredible difference, and I always find it incredible to look at how seemingly small and routine acts end up being completely life changing when you look back on them in retrospect. Although it seems simple, the simple gift of presence is so key and important, especially in our busy lives today.
ReplyDeleteI really wanted to express how much the story of the "Cab ride i'll never forget" means to the way that non-verbal presence means to a person, but I couldn't find the words. Probably, that's because I've had a lot of experiences where I've listened to a friend explain a situation they had been leading up to saying throughout a majority of their day. This happens almost every time I am with my friends and has happened yesterday with one of my close friends' family who are going through a legal/financial issue.
ReplyDeleteMy mom always told me similar sayings but I never really took them to heart. However, the story really opened up my mind. Probably because I needed to hear someone else/something else reiterate it to really get it through to me.
I really wanted to express how much the story of the "Cab ride i'll never forget" means to the way that non-verbal presence means to a person, but I couldn't find the words. Probably, that's because I've had a lot of experiences where I've listened to a friend explain a situation they had been leading up to saying throughout a majority of their day. This happens almost every time I am with my friends and has happened yesterday with one of my close friends' family who are going through a legal/financial issue.
My mom always told me similar sayings but I never really took them to heart. However, the story really opened up my mind. Probably because I needed to hear someone else/something else reiterate it to really get it through to me. I really wanted to express how much the story of the "Cab ride i'll never forget" means to the way that non-verbal presence means to a person, but I couldn't find the words. Probably, that's because I've had a lot of experiences where I've listened to a friend explain a situation they had been leading up to saying throughout a majority of their day. This happens almost every time I am with my friends and has happened yesterday with one of my close friends' family who are going through a legal/financial issue.
My mom always told me similar sayings but I never really took them to heart. However, the story really opened up my mind. Probably because I needed to hear someone else/something else reiterate it to really get it through to me.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhen I read this blog post and “The Cab Ride I’ll Never Forget” by Kent Nerburn, I completely loved it because personally I know how hard it is for someone who has gone through a sad time to hear the recurring words of, “I’m sorry” or “Stay strong” and simply nod and give a bittersweet smile. Sometimes words aren’t always as powerful as we want them to be because they don’t hold meaning to the person, there empty words. That’s because once the mantra of repeated condolences or encouragement have been said, nobody really knows what the person truly feels and what they need. The words we speak to help someone through rough times is meant to make them feel better however sometimes it’s more like a reassurance to us that we’re trying to help them, even if it’s not working. But sometimes we have that one person, that single person, who simply just stays by our side and allows us to feel the whirlwind of emotions we feel in that moment. And that is enough because that’s what we need. In, “The Cab Ride I’ll Never Forget” Nerburn says, “We are so conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments. But great moments often catch us unawares. When that woman hugged me and said that I had brought her a moment of joy, it was possible to believe that I had been placed on earth for the sole purpose of providing her with that last ride.” I really liked this a lot, as it reflects how life works in such remarkable ways. In that moment, that elderly women needed someone who just listened to her, to bring her one last moment of joy. Life or fate or whatever you want to call it, sent Nerburn to her for that purpose. He was simply there when she needed it the most in her life. I feel like we all have that person in our lives or we’re that person for someone, who knows what we’re feeling and know that we don’t need words, we need to feel the emotion.
ReplyDeleteNot too long ago, I was going through a hard time in my life and whatever emotion I felt I pushed it down and didn’t allow anyone to see it. I didn’t want to feel them as they would make me vulnerable and I hate being vulnerable if I am being honest. So, one day after a few hurtful words from the person who hurt me in the first place occured. It was like I just broke and all the emotions came flooding out all at once and I kept feeling them over again. And that’s when it happened, my mom (who knew of the hard time I was going through) came into my room and saw me crying on my bed. But as soon as I saw her, I quickly wiped my eyes and said, “I’m fine” but my mom knew better. She sat down on my bed, placed her hand in mine, and simply said three words that I didn’t know I needed to hear until the time, “let it go” and I knew what she meant, let go of all the emotions that were holding me hostage. And I did, I kept crying and telling my mom of all the hurt I felt. In the end, I felt so much better and stronger because I finally felt those emotions. The reason I’m telling this particular story is because I was alone when I was feeling all my emotions and I was just about to push them all down again, when my mom walked in and saw me. It was like she knew I needed her, it was like life was sending her to me when I needed the most. Like Nerburn was sent to the elderly woman when she needed it the most. My mom’s presence is what I needed to move forward out of the hurtful time I was in. That is the language of presence to me, knowing when someone just needs you. And I know she did help me because she said, “let it go” but her words weren’t words like, “it’ll get better” no, they were words I needed to hear at the time. Simply words and a simply action of sitting down with me was what I needed. When I was going through that time, I needed those words, and I knew even through all this I had her. That’s the language of presence to me the simple intimacy of touch, words that need to be heard, and knowing you have someone by your side in order to move forward and get through the emotional time.
As soon as I read the title I remembered reading the story last year, it had such a big impact that I remembered it a year later. A lot of the ideas from the cab story have such a deep meaning and stick with me for weeks after reading. I wonder how many opportunities or experiences I missed because I wasn't paying to the little things?
ReplyDeleteTo me the language of presence is everything we can feel or know without talking or being told. For example when you finish hiking and stand at the top of the mountain looking out over the world in silence, or when someone sees the tears on your face and hugs you but doesn't say a word. Moments like these allow us to truly feel and understand, sometimes better than words ever could. A time that I experienced the language of presence was after the death of a close family member, everyone was so sad and we sat through endless comments of "I'm sorry for your loss" and "Are you okay". When we finally got home my friend opened her arms to me without a word and held me as I cried. It was the best thing she could have done, she didn't apologize or ask me to speak, she was just there for me. Sometimes we don't need flowery words or a heartfelt speech, just a shoulder to lean on or a hand to hold.
This article really touched me and made me realize the importance of the presence of someone who cares and wants to listen. Coming from a family that has a hard time communicating with each other and parents who are never home, I struggle with understanding the importance of just talking and expressing feelings or even being a good listener. That is something I will need to continue working on by myself since I have never really had anyone to teach me how. In my family if we talk about our feelings or complain about our current situations we are considered weak so the thought of a cab driver who would want to listen to whatever is going on is crazy and the thought of someone wanting to express themselves to a complete stranger is even crazier. I think it's amazing that the cab driver listened to the old woman and I'm glad he was a good presence for her in her last moments. The importance of a beautiful soul is something so important to a struggling person and to everyone. I hope I can be that soul to someone someday when I figure out how.
ReplyDelete(Sorry for being late, I didn't even know there was a blog. It wasn't mentioned in any email and I didn't see it anywhere on the board. I didn't realize until I saw it missing from in the gradebook.)
ReplyDeleteThe Cab Ride really was a touching but sad story, it reminded me of one of my own more personal and yet, not personal relationships I used to have (I'll come to that in just a second). I've definitely gone through some hard times, and while I have yet to quite enjoy or experience just being in someone's company, I know how much hanging out with anyone and doing almost anything lifts my spirits.
The Cab Ride (as I call it and will call it) reminded me of a sister I once helped for a church activity. As young girls, we were each given a older widow (or perhaps widower, I don't know who the other girls were assigned) to comfort and give gifts as a 'Secret Sister'. I got Martha Mudd, a woman who loved chocolate, fried chicken and so many other things that I also adored. I saved a plate of fried chicken for her the one time my family had it, I made these cheap dog puppets for her with popsicle sticks and color photos of dogs cut out to only the dog. She gave me a set of bracelets to thank me for all of the gifts I sent (I barely remember what all I had done for her), but after that event, she was a new friendly face. We'd pass each other in the hall, we'd stop and she'd compliment some aspect of my outfit (glasses, scarf, hat, dress, shoes, anything) and tell me how beautiful I was getting. We'd hug and leave. My family caroled to her once for Christmas, she nearly cried.
She died at the end of 2016, I never quite got to say goodbye to her. But all of those moments with her, she reinforced so much of my happiness and confidence in life, she is exactly the kind of person I want to be when I'm older, and I'd like to hope that when she spent time with me or got to see me for even a minute that she felt me being there with her and felt happy, too. There's no underestimating the power of just being there for someone- even in the smallest ways.
The story of “The Cab Ride I’ll Never Forget” was very touching and a bit of an eye opener. I don’t really think about things like this very often so it was good to get a chance to reflect. It’s amazing how much of an impact that we can have on the lives of others without really costing us anything. Even more incredible is the number of opportunities that there are around us to make a difference in other people’s lives that pass us by every day. We can get so caught up in our own lives that we forget that there are other people out there, going through the same things that we are. Slowing down and just being available to help others is a wonderful thing, and I think we’d all be better off if we were more mindful of that.
ReplyDeleteI don’t really have too much personal experience with the language of presence, but in my opinion it is the best way to show someone that you really care about them and want to help them. By using the language of presence, you respect the person by giving them space and not forcing them to talk. As well, you acknowledge that you might not know what the best thing to help them will be, but you’re willing to stay with them and do whatever you can. You make yourself available to them so that they can let you know what they need.
It amazes me how something we see as insignificant can be one of the most important events in someone's life. If everyone thought about how much their actions can impact other people's lives, the world would be a much better place.
ReplyDeleteThe Language of presence is something that I have hear of prior to this post. It completely shows the compassion you have towards someone without overstepping any boundaries.
This story really touched me because it highlights the importance of treating others kindly and respectfully all of the time, because you never know what they could be going through. As the man telling the story says, if he had not picked up the old lady, another grumpy or impatient taxi driver could have been the one to pick her up and her (and the taxi driver's) life would not have been changed as a result. Her final moments would not have been spent looking at all of the past memories of her life, and instead she would have gone straight to hospice, not being shown the kindness and patience of a cab driver who really cared, like this guy.
ReplyDeleteThe language of presence is incredibly powerful in the sense that it shows your willingness to be kind and patient towards someone, lending them your time and attention in a time of need. It communicates with no sound or words because simply being there says a lot about your personality; that you are caring, thoughtful, etc., opposed to just not being involved at all.
After taking a moment to read "The Cab Ride I'll Never Forget" by Kent Nerburn, I was truly speechless. There was a soft gasp, and then complete silence. I had felt the way the cab driver had felt before, but I never really knew what it meant.
ReplyDeleteI had been that person to many people at work, where I had supposedly "made their week", but I didn't know the importance.
I had read this article on Wednesday, but I decided to wait for the weekend, go to work like normal, and attempt to be that cab driver for a lot of people at work. I wanted to help a person who I might not have helped before, and man, was I surprised.Just asking how a person was, or how their week has been is the most considerate thing you can do: utterly selfless. And after a incredibly tiring day at work, an younger couple had walked in, and by any stroke of luck, I was the one to help them.
I could tell they had been crying, their eyes looked red with a slight swell of emotions. As I was helping them to complete their order, I asked how their day had been. The girl had replied with looks of suffering, saying they had just come back from her grandmother's funeral. In that moment I realized the black clothing and the pamphlet in her hand. I had told her she had my prayers and condolences. We talked for ten minutes, engaged in a constant exchange of nice comments. She thanked for my time, and walked away.
I didn't understand what people may be going through or battling in their lives was more difficult then my own; I might have known it, but I didn't fully comprehend what this meant. Everyone around you might have need that unknown figure to guide or direct them to a better outcome, it is important to try to be that person. When people or suffering or enduring pain in their own life, it is incredibly noble to be a person who others may rely on in times of trouble or grief.
I found the story within the article to be very heartwarming and yet interesting to read. It was really refreshing to know that in some cases, all we need are certain things in order to find comfort. Whether it be words or actions, it's the small things that count overall. It really shows how a small act of kindness or respect can truly make a single person feel better, and perhaps they can pass on that emotion. Whenever it comes to the language as presence, I found that it correlated to the story very nicely. In some cases, it's better to talk things out, whereas in others, silence and actions are more of what is needed than actual words. It's difficult to comfort people and to understand what they're going through because you can't simply step into their own shoes to see their perspective, but it is a good responsibility to try and help those who you care for.
ReplyDeleteReading The Cab Ride I’ll Never Forget was so warming and left me really questioning the same thing Kent Nerburn was pondering of how many moments like that have I missed out on? I loved that he came to the conclusion that "We are so conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments. But great moments often catch us unawares." We are always searching for happiness and fleeting joy to sustain a positive feeling. We are so sensitive to what happens around us and to us that we probably miss more of the opportunities to share your presence than we'd like to think about. I feel that we are so wrapped up in ourselves, constantly trying to please ourselves, focusing on receiving instant gratification that we don't look for anyone else.
ReplyDeleteSomeone who truly holds the gift of presence is my mom. I'm blessed to have her and she not only has the right words to give but the right moments to be silent. We have a settle rule that if I'd like to talk to her without the parental feedback I just ask her to listen and she does, she sits with me and holds me and cries when I cry. I have more trust in her than anyone and because she knows how to be a presence in my life and not just a voice.
The language of presence communicates through empathy where the emotion(s) are reciprocated and felt together.
It amazes me to know that something that some people see as so little an insignificant, can mean so much to others. It makes you think about the countless opportunities that you could have taken but missed out on them because you probably didn't notice them or didn't think it was important enough.
ReplyDeleteThe language of presence is a very powerful way to show not only your kindness and patience, but to show them your willingness to a part of, and help them through their emotional troubles.
That was... incredible. It's simply staggering to think that your very presence could bring someone so much joy, or ease so much pain. I would like to think that there's someone for whom I could be that person. We don't think much about it, though, and that's our problem. We all collectively, silently agree that it's better for us to go about our lives without acknowledging the things that others do for us simply by existing.
ReplyDeleteI feel this language of presence quite keenly at times. Not necessarily when I'm in the pits of despair, but if I'm in a somewhat foul mood, being around people I care about can lift my spirits considerably. Sometimes, I'm with my friends, and I stop and think for a moment how incredibly lucky I am to be there with them, with people whose presence I enjoy and who enjoy mine.
It's not always evident, so I think we should make more of an effort. People need each other, and I don't think there's much use in pretending otherwise.
Man.
ReplyDeleteThat piece was grounding. It's easy to get lost in it all, our own individual struggles and triumphs. Too easily I find myself caught in the monotonous cycle of life without any true perspective. But wow. That article was humbling and eye-opening in a way very few things are. Thank you for sharing that with us.
I'd also like to note that I absolutely love how Kent wrote that piece. Very rarely does writing, the pure writing, the ordering and rhythm of words, grasp me like that. The narrative was significant, but the way he put the story into words made it profound, earnest, and overwhelming all at once.
Very few things are as meaningful to me as the language of presence. Similar to Shawn I don't necessarily count on the language of presence most when I'm depressed, but instead when I feel anxious or grumpy or like I'm just plain not worth it. I've been privileged enough to be surrounded by the best friends and family in the entire world, the quality and quantity of which I don't deserve at all. Being with them helps remove any of those negative feelings. I find true comfort knowing that such wonderful people enjoy my company just as much as I enjoy theirs.
I remember this article! I remember writing about taking time to value life, But this is truly another wonderful lens to look through while reading this article. I remember the first time reading this and wanting to cry a little bit. I don't know what it is about older people being nostalgic but it's just so moving to me. Maybe just remembering what makes us happy moves me too.
ReplyDeleteI think that someone else's presence can be as comforting as words (in the right situation)
I feel as though sometimes whenever my friends are upset I find it hard to piece together the right words or even find the right words at all, so I stay quiet out of fear I might say the wrong thing. I think the best thing I can do is just be a foundation and let them know that I'm here for them whatever happens.
I don't normally share sad moments of my life but I think this is pivotal moment in my life where I truly found comfort in the arms of new loved ones with nothing but silence.
When I was younger, first moving here from Oregon, it was to say the least, hard. Not only because of the weather, but I had new people in my life. A new family. I had trouble with speech and acting my age because I never really had one on one teaching as a developing child, so making new friends was hard and all I remember thinking during this time was "I wanna go home" but I didn't know what home was anymore.
Fast forward to when I was about eight years old some of my family came to visit me and it was honestly one of the happiest moments of my life. To be reunited with family is such a good feeling, I totally recommend it haha. Anyways they stayed with us for a few days but then when I found out they were leaving I just couldn't understand why. I couldn't fathom it. The idea of being left again was just immensely heartbreaking. I cried for hours. I couldn't stop. I remember my mom trying to convince me that it was okay but after a while she just pulled me close and held me. Just hugged me and let me cry. She stroked my hair and hummed softly in my ear. I was able to calm down but I'll admit that I was a little more than sad for the next few days.
To this day I can still feel the heartbreak but I will never forget that my mom helped me and still helps me today. That was the day I actually felt safe somewhere. The day I realized what home was.
I have seen the story before and every time it warms my heart. It gives me a warm feeling, similar to one in the early morning. When the alarm hasn't gone off yet, the sheets and nice and warm, and you're comfortable mentally and physically. To me it is the best feeling in the world and nothing could honestly replace it. More than once I've video chatted a friend, not to talk or converse. But just to have the presence of another human being while I do silent tasks like reading or painting. The presence of someone give me a feeling similar to that early morning comfortality. (if that's even a word) People always say "I can't find the words to describe this" or "words aren't enough", but usually they are. But when they aren't, when vibrations in the air aren't enough to express our feelings of sympathy or sorrow. That is when presence is best used. I've had times where my best friend would be going through someone or a friend would make a big mistake. But instead of offering advice that would fall of deaf ears or saying something that could have the opposite intention, I just let them know I'm there. Either by a hug or a simple hand on the shoulder. Loneliness can happen anywhere, from the living room to the middle of a classroom. No matter how many people are around you, you can still feel lonely. It's the worst feeling ever, kind words aren't enough to stop the feeling, but a presence is more than enough.
ReplyDelete"We are so conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments." This statement resonated in me the first time I read the article..and the second...and then again the third time. Our lives aren't about "great moments" because there is no defining great moment. If you live your life a certain way, every moment may be great. To me, presence speaks louder than words do at times. I've gone through things that felt like they'd never end, like they were eating me from the inside and like no one would ever be able to fix them. I'm lucky enough to have people in my life who sat with me, and didn't give me sympathetic eyes, or "I'm sorry's" or grand speeches about how life continues and "You'll be okay!" Having someone be so there for you without saying a single word can leave a longer lasting impact than choice motivational words. It's nice to know that even if you aren't the best at offering advice or giving kind words, you can still be just as uplifting as someone who has that skill.
ReplyDeleteThe language of presence is a very powerful thing that in my experience is not recognized until it is no longer there. Recently I've had a few major life changes and there were points when I felt nobody was there which was something I hadn't experienced before so the comfort of somebody filling that void was even more noticeable.
ReplyDeleteI found the story of the cab driver to be incredibly interesting as well because we only seem to notice and regret the things we don't do when they are in plain sight but rarely do we consider the experiences we miss by not paying attention. This echos something I've talked about in a few of my previous responses when it comes to things such as pausing. Being present and aware are just as important in finding situations to help and gain insight as reacting those situations is.
This story was eye opening especially from how simple the the message and how gentle the kindness was within this story. It was almost a relief to read it from how harsh life usually is and the story was absent from that rough way of life. Presence to me can be a couple of things. Heartwarming, kind, gentle, much like the story is. It is also over bearing and pressure on me as well. When I deal with something drastic I tend to be by myself and think about it, then I can be comforted by the presence of others however I believe it is sweet and thoughtful on the way people show their emotions through being there for you.
ReplyDeleteRecently my great grandma, Grandma GG we called her, passed away and I spent the weekend up in Utah where she had lived and where her memorial service would take place. Throughout the time I was there I heard stories about her and her lifetime. A slideshow of pictures played during the memorial service, of pictures of her youth to maybe even weeks before she passed away. The pictures of her as a young woman surprised me for some reason. I guess it was because I never had seen her so young so for her to look so young was just not something I'd ever imagined. My Grandma GG had been a nurse in World War 2 and had met my Great Grandpa while serving in a hospital for the disabled after the war was over. My great Uncle told a story how Grandma GG, a woman who never drank a drop of alcohol in her life, learned to pour beer in college because there was a dancing club which only had an entrance fee of a bottle of beer. Before my Grandma died she went on and on about how much she hated the snow and missed the green of Arizona. My great uncle had looked at her funny and said "Mom, Arizona is a desert full of brown dirt, there's nothing green there." My Great Grandma had wisely replied, "Of course there's green there; there's the palo verde trees and the cactuses and there isn't a bunch of white mountains I would have to be stuck looking at all day!"
ReplyDeleteI never heard any of these stories until I was there at the memorial. But my grandma, Grandma GG's daughter, has told stories of our family in the past and I probably would've know more of those stories had I taken the time to just be patient and listen. The story of the Cab ride reminds me of the importance of slowing down and listening to those we wouldn't normally listen to. We may learn something we didn't know.
When my best friend Chloe died I remember that whenever someone gave me a hug that it was one of the most comforting things. Saying sorry to me or offering condolences or even asking me if I was okay didn't make me feel better at all. Honestly it just made me mad. I've always hated crying in front of people or hearing people ask me if I were okay with a tone of concern. It just makes me feel like I'm weak. Now I know that crying or showing our sadness isn't weak but for me to do so or for others to think I was doing so just makes me think so. So only to receive a silent hug was the most comforting thing that anyone could give me.
I remember reading 'The Cab Ride I'll Never Forget' a few years ago. The memory is vague and most of the details were gone until I reread it, but I remember how it impacted me. To see how such a little gesture for one person can mean so much to someone else was awe inspiring to younger me. That was back when I was deadset on a job dedicated to helping other people (something I still wish to do), and it helped me see that I didn't need to do something big and dramatic to do so. Before, I believed that I needed to work as something like a police officer or even something along the lines of a field medic. I wanted to give my life to others in its entirety and offer all I had to others. My other hobbies and passions would have been left behind, which I can now recognize as excessive. Something as small as being patient and kind to one person during a cab ride can impact them in massive ways. You don't have to save lives to change them.
ReplyDeleteWhen it comes to the language of presence, I understand the importance of knowing when not to talk. Of silent companionship. When someone very close to me died, the condolences that I valued the most were ones that weren't accompanied by words. I wanted to be alone, I didn't want to have to speak to anyone, and I pushed people away. A natural response to grief. Just walking around with one of my friends and looking up at the clouds, or going bowling with a couple of friends was a far better comfort than any words people could've offered.